Headroom Desktop as Preamp ?
Jun 7, 2006 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Bones13

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently got a new receiver and speakers to listen to music in my study at home. The computer speakers were not up to snuff, and while I like wearing headphones, listening to music from speakers is still preferable to me, and at home I can.

Anyways, while trying to figure out how to get SPDIF from my computer to the receiver, I decided to try a shortcut. I put line out from my Headroom desktop unit to the reciever. I knew that the line outs worked, but to my surprise, the volume control actually worked for this output. As the reciever is not right on my desk, and the Headroom unit is, I am happy to be able to control the volume right on the Desktop (stepped attenuator).

Still considering putting USB to the Headroom, and running the SPDIF to the reciever. I would like to hear how the Pioneer Elite DAC does with computer SPDIF from FLAC files. The main problem I see with this, is that I would have to switch the output method for Foobar when I switched from headphones to speakers and back.

Pleasant surprise - thanks again for a great product Headroom. (of course if I keep up the current rig, I will need to upgrade the DAC later this year I suppose.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back