HeadRoom Desktop Amp? (groan)
Aug 10, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
There is a link at the top of every page that says "contributing members". Click on it and there is another link to contribute but it does not seem to be working at the moment.

Click on the User CP tab at the top of the page then select Paid Subscriptions under the Miscellaneous heading.

I believe it's working.

Aug 10, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DatHak512
Does anyone know if the Desktop Amp comes with a USB cable? So far, i understand that it comes with the power adapter (15v wall adapter) and the amp. Anything else?

No USB cable. And it takes the same digital-camera styled cable as the micro stack.

I'm a college student too, and I went for the Desktop, but I Maxed it. It's still new, but it sounds nice. I would imagine, however, that the difference between it and the Home is, indeed, subtle.

Aug 10, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
Click on the User CP tab at the top of the page then select Paid Subscriptions under the Miscellaneous heading.

I believe it's working.

I have tried yesterday and this morning to contribute using the link at the top of the page but it is not working. I will try again tonight.

Aug 10, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I have tried yesterday and this morning to contribute using the link at the top of the page but it is not working. I will try again tonight.

You didn't read my post carefully. I'm talking about a totally different link than you are.

Again:

Click on the User CP tab at the top of the page (where you set up your profile, avatar, etc.) then select Paid Subscriptions under the Miscellaneous heading.

Check out this thread.

Aug 10, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by audeo
No USB cable. And it takes the same digital-camera styled cable as the micro stack.

I'm a college student too, and I went for the Desktop, but I Maxed it. It's still new, but it sounds nice. I would imagine, however, that the difference between it and the Home is, indeed, subtle.

So Audio, how do you like the DAC? I assume you put the maxed out dac? Can you compare it to any other dac? Also, do you use crossfeed? I'm just curious about your amp. Did you think about waiting and purchasing a home or max amp?

Noel

Aug 11, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
You didn't read my post carefully. I'm talking about a totally different link than you are.

Again:

Click on the User CP tab at the top of the page (where you set up your profile, avatar, etc.) then select Paid Subscriptions under the Miscellaneous heading.

Check out this thread.

Thanks I was able to contribute. I guess I am a little slower than normal today. It is called being an "old fart"
blink.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by nblis
So Audio, how do you like the DAC? I assume you put the maxed out dac? Can you compare it to any other dac? Also, do you use crossfeed? I'm just curious about your amp. Did you think about waiting and purchasing a home or max amp?

Noel

Well, my power went out before I was able to play much (just came back up today, actually), and my wisdom teeth all came out. I'm on vikadin, and sleep, and my teeth hurt too much to enjoy much of anything. I'll post more info, I promise.

Aug 13, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
For some reason I see a new thread label on the horizon, "ken36's seal of quality"
wink.gif

Or "How to Get Your Post Count Up Very Quickly" by ken36
cool.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by nblis

Noel

I played all day. I had the Grace m902, micro stack, and the Desktop Maxed here, and I brought in my Benchmark DAC-1 to compare. I also had the internal DAC from my Arcam CD72 working through some Transparent brand optical cable. When I A/Bed the unbalanced in (Dimarzio M-Path interconns) and USB input on the Grace, I could tell very little difference, with a little favor to the Grace's internal DAC (really, something like 2% difference). Not bad. When I did the same test just now the Headroom, the DAC in that was slightly less punchy, and less rhythmic, but more dynamic and lively in the vocals... overall, it was too close to call. And I haven't paranoid-ized my CD collection yet, so we're still dealing with some AAC files. Not bad at all. The DAC-1 was significantly more forward than the other options, which gave the immediate impression of more detail. I'm inclined to think that it does indeed have more detail, but the tonal balance is different, and something that I personally really like, but not through headphones. I use my DAC-1 on recording monitors (Dynaudio Acoustics BM6A, to be precise). It's also a bit more powerful, and that shows through. Tonally, however, it's a bit harsher. I really like this softer Headroom sound on my head.

The Micro Stack surprised me with its capability, and at the moment I'm deciding which to keep - the Desktop Max or the Micro Stack. (The vocals on Let it Be coming through much clearer in the Max, and rather muddy in the Micro at the moment). The Grace is a great amp, but it does a lot of what I want my next set up to do, which is to get every last detail. My next set up should do this much better than the Grace, so I figure I wouldn't sacrifice tonal quality now for detail that I'll have within a year or so. The Headroom products have softer, more even sound to them. So the Grace is going back.

Either of these systems will be a "one-box" solution to tide me over while I'm shopping for a higher-end system - none of the systems I tested today blew me away. One of the amps I will be considering at that time is the Headroom Max Balanced, but it will probably be fed from a Levinson 30.6, Wavelength Ultimate, dCS, etc., level of DAC. If it had been available, I probably would've gone for the Max, since it would be the best one-box solution, but my school starts in a about a week, so no dice.

And yes, I use crossfeed. The sound is really significantly less fatiguing with it on.

So yes, long, rambling post, and I will post again when I've composed a more proper review of the stuff I compared, but properly, in its own thread.

(Headphones used: 600 (burnt-in) with primarily Zu, but also with Cardas, 650 with the same (not burnt in, and therefore too hard on the Headroom stuff to use for long), RS-1, PS-1).

EDIT: The Cardas cables have been burning in all day, and I just reconnected them, and now, with the bass de-emphasized, the Micro Stack has a wonderful, even sound.

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #41 of 44
Lehmann Black Cube linear - new model with USB as well as line inputs.

I tried the Micro with Desktop module.

Lehmann costs more but is much, much better - but not portable (except in a car with inverter).

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Lehmann Black Cube linear - new model with USB as well as line inputs.

I tried the Micro with Desktop module.

Lehmann costs more but is much, much better - but not portable (except in a car with inverter).

I saw that mentioned for the first time today. Where do you get them, with the USB input? There is a local dealer that sells Lehmann... have the new models made it to local dealers? (I will check myself on tuesday).

Thanks

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #43 of 44
Still in development - soon to come out.

I love my Lehmann (no USB) - nothing better.

Click on link at top of site.

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Still in development - soon to come out.

I love my Lehmann (no USB) - nothing better.

Click on link at top of site.

But soon does me no good now
wink.gif
. And the Desktop Maxed is much more than the Lehmann... unless the Lehmann's USB port is a $1,000 option. The Micro Stack is $600. That makes the Lehmann all the more exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back