Headroom Desktop Amp+DAC Question
Aug 5, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 4
With my MicroDAC I believe I read that through usb it only does 16/44.1 but the s/pdif does 24/96. If it's the desktop DAC they're about the same price so I would expect them to be similar DACs.

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Err, the DAC chip inside the unit will nicely handle up to 24/192. However, most USB drivers won't produce this--I believe that's the limiting factor, not the DAC itself.

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 4
USB Audio Codec is the limiting factor. It was written back then supporting USB 1.0. Not sure how this will be handled with Window Vista.

There are other companies with USB drivers though. Notably the for sale USB-Audio Driver, and the freeware ASIO4all, are drivers that bypass the USB codec and kmixer using ASIO. These allow some increased bitrates to be used. I was interested in these until I got my Lavry. Just using USB and the Total Bithead with my laptop has been fine when traveling.

Most of the people on HeadFi seem to prefer the native CD bitrate of 16 bit 44.1khz, which is provided by the USB codec. There are exceptions of folks who like the sound of upsampled data though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back