Headroom cancelled my HD800 Pre-order! Strong-arm tactics by Sennheiser.
Feb 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
United Kingdom entered the EU in 1973, and I'm ashamed that I didn't know that. Even more so called fail on somebody for something that isn't true and I shouldv known. I'm having some friends over to keep beating me.

I know but I was aiming at your drug abuse.
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To protect the local distributors and retailers who take a risk by tying up cash in expensive Sennheiser inventory.

"Strong Arm tactics"?
No, not really.
Fairly standard practice in many places for many manufacturers.

This is exactly right. Sennheiser is trying to keep the HD800's as close to retail price as possible, so they're creating strict sales regions and terms.

It's economics 101. Limited supply and a ton of demand will allow the price to retain or even increase in value.

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #48 of 72
This is not just a corporate decision, but a means of protecting distribution networks. Said distributors push products and having a company that helps the distributors sees those distributors promoting those products to dealers. Makes sense. It does suck but understandable.

So, how to deal with this legally? Find someone in another country who can order at better prices. Have them ship to you directly.

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #49 of 72
You also need to bear in mind people who go and get a demonstration at a dealer and then buy on-line at a cheaper price - leaving the dealer doing all the work and getting nothing for it.

And the on-line dealer doing no work at all and getting the sale.
angry_face.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #50 of 72
I think it would be interesting if this conversation was happening in a forum populated by European audio retailers. I suspect they might have a different view from most of these posts...

I'm curious - is it possible Sennheiser might be violating existing contracts they have with their EU channel if they allowed Headroom to do this? For all we know, an EU dealer might have gotten wind of these preorders and demanded that Sennheiser shut it down.

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know but I was aiming at your drug abuse.
tongue.gif

Don't worry, my job doesn't allow it
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #52 of 72
Struts I saw that you live in Stockholm just like me and the store Audio Concept (En av Europas mest intressanta hifi butiker | VÄLKOMMEN TILL AUDIO CONCEPT) has the HD 800s listed as being released in April. They're not listing any price yet, but they have fantastic customer support which I experienced when I bought my Harmony Design Ear 9 amp from them and they called me when I could come and pick it up. So if you can stand waiting until April you can probably do a pre-order there.

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You also need to bear in mind people who go and get a demonstration at a dealer and then buy on-line at a cheaper price - leaving the dealer doing all the work and getting nothing for it.

angry_face.gif

This is a very valid point as well. The stabilized price will make it so that there's no excuse to order online versus at a bricks and mortar dealer (although the online stores will no doubt get a much higher profit margin
frown.gif
).

The problem is that people will still overwhelmingly order online if there is no authorized dealer within reasonable driving distance. That's my main problem. I would love to buy all my gear directly from a bricks and mortar store, but there are none in my area that sell audiophile level products.

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif

angry_face.gif

Yeah that does suck. But think of people in my situation living where I live. Local dealers are UNWILLING to stock the HD800s. This means one has to shell out the cash with no way of getting a full refund (one gets store credit only). So...the only way for someone like me to get info, outside of a public forum, would be from the reviews and tests that a company like Headroom posts online. Ultimately, they provide me with more support and courtesy than my local dealer. Why shoudl I support my dealer when they do nothing but order up a product at full or near MSRP?

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

Why shoudl I support my dealer when they do nothing but order up a product at full or near MSRP?

Yup the same here. If they have it on demo fine, but they don't have much- and if they don't have it, then why buy from them? I must have spent thousands from online retailers rather than my dealer. Not dealers for products I wanted, or can only get it in if I pay for it, then basically stuck with it even if I don't want it.

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheManko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Struts I saw that you live in Stockholm just like me and the store Audio Concept (En av Europas mest intressanta hifi butiker | VÄLKOMMEN TILL AUDIO CONCEPT) has the HD 800s listed as being released in April. They're not listing any price yet, but they have fantastic customer support which I experienced when I bought my Harmony Design Ear 9 amp from them and they called me when I could come and pick it up. So if you can stand waiting until April you can probably do a pre-order there.

Misunderstand me right, TheManko. I have spent plenty of money with Robert over the last few years and this trend will no doubt continue. I have no issue supporting local dealers (especially ones that deserve the buisness like AC), my only problem is if Sennheiser release their product first in the US but then try to stop me buying it there.

IMHO all this throwing up of arms about supporting the distribution channel is completely misguided. The best way to support your dealers is to give them a level playing field to compete on. The film industry tried all those games with availability- and price-discrimination and look where it got them. e-commerce is here to stay, the market (at least for products like this) is global, information is perfect.

Ring ring Sennheiser. This is your 2009 wake-up call!

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #57 of 72
HOLY SMOKES, you didn't know HeadRoom abides by company wishes when it comes to oversea shipping.

Guess what, they can't ship the GS-1000 to you either. Really, I can't believe you didn't figure this out before placing your order with them. With such expensive debut of headphones, yeah I am not surprised at all Sennheiser would have restrictions to ensure fair pricing globally. It's not strong arm tactic, its smart tactic. With all the protectionist tax systems, differences in currency values, makes it sense to me to do this. And also to encourage consumers buy from their local authorized dealers, again makes sense to me.

I am really really surprised that you didn't research this before placing a $1,400 dollar order.

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG, MORON, you didn't know HeadRoom abides by company wishes when it comes to oversea shipping.

Guess what, they can't ship the GS-1000 to you either. Really, I can't believe you didn't figure this out before placing your order with them. With such expensive debut of headphones, yeah I am not surprised at all Sennheiser would have restrictions to ensure fair pricing globally. It's not strong arm tactic, its smart tactic.

I am really really surprised that you didn't research this before placing a $1,400 dollar order.

Thank you mbd2884. If you read my original post really carefully you might have noticed that neither I nor Headroom were aware of this policy because it was only communicated to them three weeks after my pre-order was placed.

The clue was in the following line (my bold):
Quote:

Unfortunately, we have been informed today by Sennheiser corporate...

Even if this had not been the case, whose job do you think it is to understand Headroom's policies, mine or theirs?

Sorry. Five wrong out of four possible.

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #59 of 72
I believe it is more the pressure from the non-US distributors. For hi-end earphones like HD-800, the demand for most markets is so tiny that active cross-border flow from the US to elsewhere means no profit for the non-US distributors. If I were a non-US distributor, I would definitely file a complaint to Sennheiser HQ. On the other head distributors are the heart and blood vessels for Sennheiser......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back