Headroom Blockhead Question
Oct 22, 2003 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JohnFerrier

1000+ Head-Fier
I noticed that it has a left and right volume control. How well does that work? Is it easy to balance left and right? Anyone have experience, or otherwise, know??? I suppose that the user could get used to making the adjustment, but it seems inconvenient.

JF

Oct 22, 2003 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 11
I had a Blockhead for a few days for a meet. It was easier than I thought. Just go by sound. Stepped Attenuators would be the hot set-up. Once you get your usual listening setting it's just a little fine tuning.

Oct 22, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnFerrier
I noticed that it has a left and right volume control. How well does that work? Is it easy to balance left and right? Anyone have experience, or otherwise, know??? I suppose that the user could get used to making the adjustment, but it seems inconvenient.

JF

It would be difficult to link the volume controls mechanically, and it would be very difficult to link them electronically without comprimising the truly balanced nature of the Blockhead. I believe getting the blockhead with stepped attenuators is the best solution, since keeping track of the clicks would be quite easy.

-dd3mon

Oct 22, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 11
I had recieved the blockhead for the first NY meet .Used it in my own system
for 6 days ,it didn't have the stepped attenuators,I felt the dual controls where very easy to use.

Oct 22, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 11
JohnFerrier -

I've owned a Blockhead for awhile now, and with the stepped attenuator the volume match is dead spot on. I was way too paranoid to go the other way. I learned on an Audible Illusions pre-amp from the '80s that trying to match non-stepped attenuators always left me with a little worry that the channels weren't quite right. But thats probably just me.

Good Luck. I'm listening to mine with a Sony MDR-R10, and it is really quite something.

Oct 22, 2003 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by smokey
JohnFerrier -

I've owned a Blockhead for awhile now, and with the stepped attenuator the volume match is dead spot on. I was way too paranoid to go the other way. I learned on an Audible Illusions pre-amp from the '80s that trying to match non-stepped attenuators always left me with a little worry that the channels weren't quite right. But thats probably just me.

Good Luck. I'm listening to mine with a Sony MDR-R10, and it is really quite something.

I haven't heard of anyone connecting R10's to a Blockhead. How are you connecting them? Using an XLR -> 1/4" converter? Or did you rewire the R10s?
eek.gif

If you're just using an adapter, is that not defeating the point (balanced nature) of the blockhead?

-dd3mon

Oct 22, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 11
Although I was called out for being overly non-highend-engineerish with this issue earlier, I still bet that if you rubber-band the two knobs together you could get them to move as one if you were gentle. That way you could really fine tune them every once in awhile and still be pretty confident the rest of the time. The cheapest and easiest solutions are often best.

Oct 22, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 11
dd3mon -

I had Stefan AudioArt wire me up an XLR->1/4" adaptor. I like to experiment and thought this might be a worthwhile toy. So far, in addition to the HD600, I've tried the W2002, the HP-1, and the R-10. The adaptor may take some of the purpose of being out of the amplifier, but I'm here to tell you that IMHO the R-10 kicks the behind of the HD600 out of this amp. Sometimes I try to care less about the technical aspects of the equipment, and try to care more about what my ears tell me sounds best. Headroom would do well to ship this adaptor out with every unit they sell.

I would never claim this is the best setup ever made, but it is quite good.

jefemeister -

The rubber band trick might work. However, from what I've read the stepped attenuators are much higher quality than the non-stepped versions, and likely add to the sound quality of the amp. If you're going to spend this kind of money, you might as well go all the way.
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 11
MHO: the strengths of the Blockhead (on top of being based on a similar design as the MOHR) are twofold -- dual monoblock + balanced. I think you can forsake some of the balancedness (like the last few feet) and still get most of that improvement.

I would very much like to hear the R10's powered by a jerry-rigged Blockhead (or even a MOHR).

Oct 22, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 11
You should rewire your R10's
wink.gif
Now THAT would be a combo to hear.

Also, I wonder how much difference there is between a Blockhead with an adapter vs. just a standard Max. This kinda test (HeadRoom could easily do this in house, or someone at a meet with both present) - would show if most of the improvement was due to the separate grounds of the headphones (instead of a shared ground in a standard 1/4" or 1/8" plug) OR if the improvement over the Max was mainly in the dual monoblock, balanced nature of the amplifier itself.

I would love to know the answer
wink.gif
If the amp itself didn't make much of a difference and the separate ground channels were responsible for most of the improvement, this idea could be incorporated into some nice DIY designs fairly easily (without doubling the amp entirely).

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back