HeadRoom BitHead
Sep 8, 2004 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kfh227

100+ Head-Fier
I am actually pondering this as a solution for my at work woes.

I was wondering if anyone knows the following:
1) Does this get the actual digital path from the CD-ROM?

2) I don't have admin rights at work. Will this install?

Sep 8, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 14
When I plugged it in, it worked almost immeadietly - so it will probably work at work... but then again - being the sole operator of my computer - I have full admin rights.

It gets the digital signal from the CDROM according to Headroom, and I have no reason not to believe them. Since the Bithead becomes your sound card, Windows sends it the data - it is not converted to analog until it gets to the D/A's on the Bithead itself.

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewWinters
When I plugged it in, it worked almost immeadietly - so it will probably work at work... but then again - being the sole operator of my computer - I have full admin rights.

It gets the digital signal from the CDROM according to Headroom, and I have no reason not to believe them. Since the Bithead becomes your sound card, Windows sends it the data - it is not converted to analog until it gets to the D/A's on the Bithead itself.

Only one way to resolve this....e-mail headroom! Off I go
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
Let us know what you find

Questions are sent off.

I figure at worse, I can get a bit head and run it off of a source. Probably not the optimal solution though, so I asked about the return policy.

I figure if they say admin rights are not an issue and they are wrong, they should take it back. You never know, I am running a microsoft OS at work ....

Oh well.

Hopefully, I'll have the answers tommorrow.

Sep 9, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 14
I've been using my Total BitHead at work almost exclusively lately. I like it a lot...for what that's worth.

It does (as far as I'm aware) get the digital feed from the CD-ROM drive. It has an onboard DAC that converts the signal from there. Nice little product...I hope that they go up-market with this concept, as it's a winner IMHO.

Sep 13, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I've been using my Total BitHead at work almost exclusively lately. I like it a lot...for what that's worth.

It does (as far as I'm aware) get the digital feed from the CD-ROM drive. It has an onboard DAC that converts the signal from there. Nice little product...I hope that they go up-market with this concept, as it's a winner IMHO.

I was wondering if you had Admin rights on your PC at work. That's my only fear right now.

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 14
If you don't have admin rights you will not be able to install the drivers and the device will not work. I would NOT purchase this thinking you'll install it at work without FIRST having talked to your system administrator and see if they'll set it up for you.

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
If you don't have admin rights you will not be able to install the drivers and the device will not work. I would NOT purchase this thinking you'll install it at work without FIRST having talked to your system administrator and see if they'll set it up for you.

Thanks for that piece of info. There's no way our IT dept will hook me up.

Sep 14, 2004 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kfh227
I was wondering if you had Admin rights on your PC at work. That's my only fear right now.

I do software development...we all have admin rights. I'd be surprised if it won't install, as it's simply a plug and play device. I could be wrong...it would be a good question for the gang at HeadRoom.

Don't forget: if you can't use it, there's the 30 day window where you can get your money back.

Sep 14, 2004 at 11:11 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I do software development...we all have admin rights. I'd be surprised if it won't install, as it's simply a plug and play device. I could be wrong...it would be a good question for the gang at HeadRoom.

Don't forget: if you can't use it, there's the 30 day window where you can get your money back.

I don't think the headroom guys understaood my question when I asked. It is a 100% pure digital path though. They did mention the return policy though.

As for admin rights. I can believe that smaller compnaies give employees admin rights, but there are 8000 people (2000-4000 engineers/designers) at my company and doing so becomes a serious security risk. Even us software engineers have to suffer. It has to be a PC from a contracted project to actually have admin rights on it.

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kfh227
Thanks for that piece of info. There's no way our IT dept will hook me up.

Have you tried offering them beer? Being an IT guy, I can honestly say this technique usually works quite well.
icon10.gif

-Jeff

Dec 27, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 14
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but without admin privileges Windows should not auto-install the USB audio drivers necessary to run a Bithead or Total Bithead. However, perhaps an IT technician could be pestered to log on and allow the installation of just those drivers.

For what it's worth, I've been using the Total Bithead with my Etymotic ER-4S headphones on two Windows machines and the sound is just great. I highly recommend it for computer use.

I haven't had luck using it with my iPod, however, either through the SendStation PocketDock or straight from the headphone jack. The red clipping indicator on the TBH goes crazy every time and all I hear is static after about two to three seconds of normal music. Very strange... but the toy for me is worth it if only as a USB DAC/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back