Headroom BitHead and NC headphones?
Feb 21, 2006 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DavidJr

Head-Fier
I'm looking at the specs for the Headroom bithead amp right now and one of their points is that the amp "work(s) BEST with low-impedance headphones."

Define "low-impedence" for me please?

I have Sony MDR-NC50's and MDR-V6's. From reading the specs at Sony the NC50's impedence specs are the follow. Are these spec considered low or high?

• when the power is on - 40 ohms at 1kHz
• when the power is off - 100 ohms at 1kHz

I have no idea what the impedence on the V6's are but I have a similar question there.

As a sideline.. I'm looking to spend around 100-150 on an headphone amp.. if the bithead isn't the right one, can someone suggest something else?

FYI this is for use with my iPod Photo 60GB.

Thanks..!!

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't know why the figures are different to be honest, but the Bithead should be able to do 100ohms not too badly. You're always going to eat more mileage with a better amp but the your intended phones the Bithead should be fine. Though with that in mind if you stay at head-fi for a whilst you'll be get upgraditis.

Feb 21, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 5
(where did the edit button go?) Though if you using the amp only with your ipod you don't need the USB connectivity of the Bithead; you could always get an Airhead which is the Bithead without USB. If you plan on using your ipod with a dock it is also recommended that you get a Sendstation lineout to bypass the ipod's internal amplifer to lower distortion of the signal by the internal amp.

Feb 21, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Dunno about the upgraditis and all being that I have a limited budget.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will be using the lineout with it. Someone else suggested a splitter to me that will probably work quite well.

http://www.sik.com/ram_din.php

Feb 21, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 5
I think what they're really saying is, "headphones that will reach acceptable volume with a 9V battery." The Micro line that they advise as an alternative for higher-impedance headphones runs on two 9V batteries in series, so it's unlikely to offer much more current capacity; just twice the voltage.

The headphones you mentioned almost certainly qualify, since people use them all the time out of consumer electronics with much weaker outputs than the BitHead.

But if you're in doubt, why not call HeadRoom and ask? They're friendly people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back