Headroom bias?
May 8, 2006 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

bashot

100+ Head-Fier
I used to consider Headroom as a good source for headphone reviews (as well as head-fi ... I find multiple sources of information
smily_headphones1.gif
). I've noticed that ALL IEMs are getting very good reviews from headroom (4 or 5/5 except shure E5c [3.5]). How is that every IEM made, from $69 - $999, all represent excellent value? I don't think its accurate. Compare this to headphone reviews where the value rating will often be less than 4. Is it just because there's more headphones to comapre against, creating an "expanded" value range for headphones? I don't think that's the case...

I personally think that Headroom pushes trends or new products more than they should... Remember the AKG K26P 5/5 rating? I realize they're a business and have to make money, but I've seen a lot of references to Headroom reviews and wonder if that trust is well placed anymore.

May 8, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by bashot
I personally think that Headroom pushes trends or new products more than they should... Remember the AKG K26P 5/5 rating? I realize they're a business and have to make money, but I've seen a lot of references to Headroom reviews and wonder if that trust is well placed anymore.

I think if you've ever actually talked with any of the HeadRoom guys, you'll find they are very much enthusiasts and it's from that perspective that the reviews are written. I wouldn't accuse them of pushing products or trends.

Best,

-Jason

May 8, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I think if you've ever actually talked with any of the HeadRoom guys, you'll find they are very much enthusiasts and it's from that perspective that the reviews are written.

Fair enough, I have not personally spoke with them.
Quote:

I wouldn't accuse them of pushing products or trends.

Hmm.. suppose I worded that more strongly than intended, but since its been quoted I'll leave it as is.

May 8, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 86
Quote:

I think if you've ever actually talked with any of the HeadRoom guys, you'll find they are very much enthusiasts and it's from that perspective that the reviews are written. I wouldn't accuse them of pushing products or trends.

Best,

-Jason

Well said, Jason........I totally agree.
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 86
Certainly echo Jason's post. I talked with them on the phone & e-Mail many times and they consistently talk about enjoying the music, are accomodating and will answer all of your questions without over pushing a sale.**

Have you spoken with them on the phone? Because the value ratings are relative, not necessarily updated consistently and are fly-by goal posts.
[size=xx-small]
** - actually I wish they pushed a sale a little more to ensure they prosper and stay around for a very long time.[/size]

May 8, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 86
Quote:

Best,

-Jason

Ditto. Besides, if they were going to push products, wouldn't they look to push products with high price tags like RS-1 and or RS-2?

May 9, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Ditto. Besides, if they were going to push products, wouldn't they look to push products with high price tags like RS-1 and or RS-2?

Not necessarily. You can often have a higher profit margin on more mainstream products than high end.
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih
... the value ratings are relative, not necessarily updated consistently and are fly-by goal posts.

Of course they're relative - its a value rating. I just find that new products are often the ones given the highest rating. I do not question their enthusiasm about audio, which is what has been defended so far. BUT, we all love new headphones and often go through a 'honeymoon' period with a new product. Should you also expect that from a company with a diverse product line and ample experience, if that is what is happening with the ratings?

May 9, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts

Not always a product with higher tag will give you the higher profits in some cases is all the opposite, and simply sometimes one below, are a better value for the business....I know that for personal experience, but not sure what theirs case is.....

About their ratings, that was discussed here long time ago....the consensus IIRC was, that they are humans and their ratings are just that subjective, as their taste are...They do have some measurements though, to back them up, mostly curves, that do not say much, as usual in all curves, and some marketing studies etc....but in audio you have to hear...period...

They have one big merit IMO, they are one of the pioneers of this hobby, and have done a lot to get information about this field, and to pass it to all of us....but that IMO do not make their opinions a universal truth, or written in stone, and I do not believe that they will pretend that neither, as they are educated fellows...

But me personally, do not agree in many of their recos, (actually in any reco other than my ears) don't forget that at the end it doesn't matter how many reviews you read about one product, if you do not try it for yourself.....

May 9, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 86
Hi bashot,

First, I'll say that I feel our value rating is in great need of a refresh and I appreciate you pointing that out to me again. What I feel has happened with our current ratings is that there has been a surge of relatively high quality headphones come to market. A lot of these headphones deserve a high value rating and so we've given them one. What hasn't happend as much is a re-evaluation or de-valuing of some of the older models. Also, it's difficult to want to reduce the value rating of some of the older models that were market leaders and are still excellent sounding. (that definitely causes a stir here too) A lot of these older models are still an outstanding value due to excellent customer support and the lifespan of the product. That's kind of how I see it. Tyll may give you his thoughts on this too.

In short, I think it comes down to this:

1. We need to re-evaluate our ratings.
2. We have seen a lot more high quality headphones at a good value come to market than we ever have before.

Cheers,
Jamey

May 9, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 86
I'd have to agree with Sovkiller. In the end you gotta listen to it and determine for yourself if it works for you. Everybody has different ears and hears differently. Also, everybody has a different usage. And alas, everybody has a different sized wallet.
evil_smiley.gif

May 9, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #13 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by MKAL
Have you read those Headroom Ultimate Ears reviews though. The ones for the consumer line seem to be quite out of line with general opinion here.

That's interesting to me. I haven't seen it that way but then again, I can't read everything on head-fi. What are your thoughts on this? Sorry to thread-crap. Please PM me if you choose. Off to the search function. I hope it works.

May 9, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
Hi bashot,

First, I'll say that I feel our value rating is in great need of a refresh and I appreciate you pointing that out to me again. What I feel has happened with our current ratings is that there has been a surge of relatively high quality headphones come to market. A lot of these headphones deserve a high value rating and so we've given them one. What hasn't happend as much is a re-evaluation or de-valuing of some of the older models. Also, it's difficult to want to reduce the value rating of some of the older models that were market leaders and are still excellent sounding. (that definitely causes a stir here too) A lot of these older models are still an outstanding value due to excellent customer support and the lifespan of the product. That's kind of how I see it. Tyll may give you his thoughts on this too.

In short, I think it comes down to this:

1. We need to re-evaluate our ratings.
2. We have seen a lot more high quality headphones at a good value come to market than we ever have before.

Cheers,
Jamey

Thanks for the response Jamey. I think there are two solutions (which would work together, but take some work). First, the value ratings should go from 0-10 instead of 0-5, which would make it easier to differentiate headphones. Second, 8, 9 and 10 should be reserved for truly special headphones. In that case, when new headphones come around that improve significantly on older models, there would be a little wiggle room at the top.

Or not. Just my two cents.

May 9, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by bashot
How is that every IEM made, from $69 - $999, all represent excellent value? I don't think its accurate.

The E4c, ER-4P/S, Super.fi 5pro are all excellent values since they cost about the same and there is no consensus on head-fi for which is the best.

Same thing with the cheaper IEMs. Even if the sound is not as great the isolation is superb.

The UE10 is also an excellent value since the SQ is high, the isolation is great, and it is very portable.

They are not all excellent values for any one person, but they are all excellent values for _someone_, whereas there are headphones out there which are excellent for no one.

Also I recall consumer opinion here being of a positive nature for the super.fi 5pro, with a few people saying they suck horribly. This is fine since there are a few people who say the E4c sucks horribly, some that say the UM2 sucks horribly, and some that say the ER-4S sucks horribly. For any pair of those IEMs I will be able to find at least 2 reviews, 1 in which IEM A is said to own IEM B, and 1 in which the exact opposite is said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back