HeadRoom Balanced Desktop with internal DAC vs. Cayin HA-1A with Monarchy M24
Oct 25, 2007 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Superpredator

Headphoneus Supremus
HeadRoom Balanced Desktop with internal DAC vs. Cayin HA-1A with Monarchy M24: Impressions using the K340

Note that impressions using the selfish and difficult K340 are not representative of how either of these amps functions with any other headphones.

Equipment:

Rig A: CD > 1212m > Dayton optical cable > Home module DAC > HeadRoom Balanced Desktop with Home module, stepped attenuator and Astrodyne power supply
Rig B: CD > 1212m > Blue Jeans LC-1 > Monarchy M24 with Amperex 6922 gold-pin > Aural Thrills ACS copper > Cayin HA-1A with RCA 6BQ5, RCA 12AU7 clear top, Cayin 12AX7
Headphones: K340, modified, Headphile BlackGold, Fitz BlackClover single-ended adapter

Introduction:

My first impression of the Balanced Desktop was that it was extraordinarily neutral running a pair of balanced K701, and not entirely fun to listen to. Heaps of power and a strong sense of control, but too much sharp, thin precision for the already precise (and sometimes thin) K701. When the Balanced Desktop first arrived several weeks ago I was experiencing some sensitivity in my left ear, and I didn’t find it very useful to take notes or do any real critical listening. I don’t recall whether I was using the Desktop’s internal DAC or my Monarchy M24, whether I had crossfeed engaged or not, etc., so I won’t delve into my several-week-old impressions that are no doubt stale anyway. A few days before the meet my symptoms abated, and just this past Sunday I finally did some real listening. The following are my impressions, though I wish I had more time with happier ears.

Balanced Desktop with internal DAC:

Cat Power - The Covers Record

The first thing I noted was that, at times, crossfeed felt like a bit of necessity. Without it the sound was dry, thin, and sort of unpleasant, imparting a tinny, weak quality on the K340 that anyone familiar with these headphones would recognize as a clear sign of a synergistic mismatched. Engaged the bass and midrange filled out quite nicely; notes were rounder, with much more solid and pleasing impact. Unfortunately crossfeed also seemed to zero out some of the spatial detail, the little subtleties and air that convey the sense of Chan Marshall and the instruments around her being in an actual room. For the K340, the choice was easy, as crossfeed was the difference between listenable and not.

And very listenable it was. The Desktop filled the K340 out as nicely as I’ve heard and more, with a balanced, liquid sound complete with a very black background. Highs were sweet and a touch soft and the K340 midrange was velvety and rich. While the Desktop is not exactly tubey, it definitely has a certain mix of liquidity and life in the midrange that one could consider tube-like. Bass was tight and lively. Details were present but somewhat reserved, less in your face than the Cayin. Notes moved through the attack-decay-sustain-release progression perfectly. Piano was right on, big and clear, reminiscent of Jan Meier’s sound, though it seemed more in line with the rest of the presentation here. I found the Desktop/K340 match a bit dark, and pleasantly so. Even with crossfeed engaged the Desktop eked out some pretty nice imaging to perhaps compete with the Monarchy/Cayin. The crossfeed function actually created imaging and placement more similar to the M24 than itself with crossfeed off.

Massive Attack - Blue Lines, Live With Me

Again crossfeed deepened the bass and filled out the midrange, with more weight and extension in the lows than the Cayin. Terry Callier sounded fantastic, as did the rest of the male vocalists. And again I got liquid sound, this time with big bass, plenty satisfying on tracks where it was abundant. The Desktop reminded me why the K340 are THE headphones for Massive Attack. Where natural spatiality isn't critical and bass is, crossfeed is a no-brainer, although on Massive Attack tracks where there were more instruments, vocalists and other sounds than in the sparse Covers Record, crossfeed seemed to smush a lot of the notes into one place. A backup vocalist who should have been placed very distantly off to the left and towards the back of the stage was too close and imprecise, kind of smeared at several distances at once.

This was my first encounter with HeadRoom’s crossfeed, and it seemed less subtle and also more of a critical function than the crossfeed on the Corda Aria or SuperMacro IV.

I also have the sense that Desktop’s internal DAC is a perfect match for the amp section. When my ear was bothering me I believe I was feeding the Desktop with the Monarchy at first, and a switch over to the internal DAC revealed a more relaxed sound.

Cayin HA-1A with Monarchy M24:

Cat Power - The Covers Record

Unfortunately I do not have all of the Cayin’s tubes replaced with NOS / vintage; specifically I haven't replaced the 12AX7 with a 5751 to get the noise floor down (and a more refined sound, I imagine). The background was noticeably fuzzy, more so in ultralinear mode than triode, the latter reducing it to just barely perceptible with music playing. I had to turn the volume all the way up on the Desktop with gain on high to get that kind of background noise.

The Cayin struck me as being quite powerful and very, very detailed. I didn’t have to strain at all to hear the sounds of the pick on the strings, the sound of Chan Marshall’s rear squeaking around on the bench, or the sound of her mouth forming words. It was right there. Highs were a touch sharp and emphasized with sibilant moments sounding somewhat rough but it was layered on top of a very full, tubey, airy midrange. Bass was tight and tube-affected. Attack was crisp but the unconstrained highs sort of detracted. Notes lingered just right. I think the Cayin gets the nod for female vocals, with a really fine combination of airy and ethereal with sultry and rich. Chan had a hauntingly realistic presence comparable to the Monica 2, although enveloped in a bigger soundscape, with a strong sense of the headphones completely disappearing, a difficult feat with the K340 in my experience.

Massive Attack - Blue Lines, Live With Me

With Massive Attack I noted a very big, wide soundstage for the K340, getting sounds well outside the headphones, occasionally believably into the room. Imaging bordered on holographic, with very precise placement and distance and tons of realistic depth. Bass was tight, although not a lot of quantity with the K340 on lighter tracks, which is typical of the K340. Where more present bass was high quality and detailed but did not go as deep as the Desktop. I noted a very textural tonality overall, although Terry Callier didn’t sound quite full enough, and vocals and violin in the upper midrange had a slight etched quality. A little thin on Mezzanine.

Summary:

The Balanced Desktop offers the K340 a holistic, commanding, and enjoyable sound. It felt like a complete experience, tackling two very different genres with ease. Although I’m betting the K340 can go even further, I don’t think I’ve heard better yet. The Cayin, despite some serious strengths, seemed a little incomplete in comparison. I hope to address the Cayin’s somewhat bright nature with more tube rolling and better matching, although a balanced amp is still on the table.

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 15
Thanks for sharing your impressions! I think that it would be worth noting which modules your balanced desktop has in them. Given the SA I'm guessing you went Home/Home and maxed the sucker out.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for sharing your impressions! I think that it would be worth noting which modules your balanced desktop has in them. Given the SA I'm guessing you went Home/Home and maxed the sucker out.
evil_smiley.gif

Honestly I'm not entirely sure. This was the Balanced Desktop HeadRoom loaned out to the Philly meet. I was the fortunate custodian.
smily_headphones1.gif

Considering the SA it may indeed be maxed all around. I'll try to find out from Andrew at HeadRoom.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 15
Nice impressions.
wink.gif

One thing though... you should never need crossfeed with Massive Attack, and certainly not with the K340's. I'm not too familiar with Cat Power though, so I can't really comment there. I'm also not a big fan of crossfeed in general, so keep that in mind.
tongue.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice impressions.
wink.gif

One thing though... you should never need crossfeed with Massive Attack, and certainly not with the K340's. I'm not too familiar with Cat Power though, so I can't really comment there. I'm also not a big fan of crossfeed in general, so keep that in mind.
tongue.gif

I've never found crossfeed particularly useful or necessary. The K340 just didn't sound good without crossfeed engaged. I don't think it was crossfeed's usual benefits that the K340 required, rather it was the change from a somewhat weak, thin sound to one that was much more robust and filled out. I would have preferred crossfeedless presentation with crossfeed weight, but what can you do (outside of having a royal palace of a custom amp built to handle the job
tongue.gif
).

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 15
I hear ya... it is too bad that the Desktop Balanced doesn't have enough balls for the K340. I was expecting that it would based on my impressions with the Balanced Max.

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the same one I used for my review, which was in face Home/Home.

Confirmed, Home/Home.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 15
im interested in more impressions. It seems you wanted to try polar opposites. Not only balanced vs single ended, but also all tube vs all SS.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im interested in more impressions. It seems you wanted to try polar opposites. Not only balanced vs single ended, but also all tube vs all SS.

I basically put the best rig I had for the job against the complete maxed Balanced Desktop package, without a lot of intention as to tube vs. SS or SE vs. balanced, though I was certainly conscious of it.

I tried to concentrate on the Desktop since my time was limited with it, and I believe I may have rushed the Cayin section a little bit. The Cayin actually got me interested in listening to the K340 again; they've essentially been shelved since I found both the Darkvoice 336i and M^3 a little lacking, with a little bit of time with the CanAmp, though not much. The Cayin is the first of my amps in a while to have a powerful, exciting sound with the K340, and despite a lot of the weaknesses I touched on, it actually is a very nice-sounding combination. With a quad of Mullard EL84 and a Sylvania 5751 triple-mica coming I suppose I wasn't really concerned with being comprehensive at this point. I also should have noted that the Aural Thrills interconnects I was using are meant to be powered; I am waiting on the power section to be returned to me after some user error took it out of commission. Once I get the single-ended rig optimized I'll go back to it for some follow-up impressions, but unfortunately I've exhausted both my time with and my notes on the Desktop.

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear ya... it is too bad that the Desktop Balanced doesn't have enough balls for the K340. I was expecting that it would based on my impressions with the Balanced Max.

Well I wouldn't exactly say that it doesn't have the balls. A lot of people seem to be happy driving the K340 with the Darkvoice 336i, and I was satisfied for a while doing the job with the M^3. For someone who likes crossfeed I think the Balanced Desktop is a noticeable step above either of those options. As you may have experienced more than anyone, trying to enjoy the K340 while knowing (and hearing) that you aren't driving it to its full potential is very frustrating. The M^3 represented a plateau for me where I could just enjoy the 340 for months in a row, and I think the Desktop with crossfeed on is another one of these plateaus, meaning there is far more to enjoy than not, with very little in the way of nagging qualities that take you away from the music.

The Desktop is the only balanced amp I've heard at length, so my impressions are only worth so much. You could remedy this by lending me the Massive Attack, but somehow I think Bumby would have something to say about that.

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 15
Interesting review, with interesting results. I too thought the Cayin sounded good with the K340. But I didn't end up liking the K340.
wink.gif

This thread is also good advertising because mine will be going on sale soon.
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I wouldn't exactly say that it doesn't have the balls. A lot of people seem to be happy driving the K340 with the Darkvoice 336i, and I was satisfied for a while doing the job with the M^3. For someone who likes crossfeed I think the Balanced Desktop is a noticeable step above either of those options. As you may have experienced more than anyone, trying to enjoy the K340 while knowing (and hearing) that you aren't driving it to its full potential is very frustrating. The M^3 represented a plateau for me where I could just enjoy the 340 for months in a row, and I think the Desktop with crossfeed on is another one of these plateaus, meaning there is far more to enjoy than not, with very little in the way of nagging qualities that take you away from the music.

The Desktop is the only balanced amp I've heard at length, so my impressions are only worth so much. You could remedy this by lending me the Massive Attack, but somehow I think Bumby would have something to say about that.

Tell me about it..

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting review, with interesting results. I too thought the Cayin sounded good with the K340. But I didn't end up liking the K340.

Well, at least you have good taste in music...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back