Headroom Amps
Jan 18, 2008 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Joelc87

100+ Head-Fier
I recently received my new Headroom Ultra Micro Amp. I've also done a fair amount of time listening to the Headroom Total Bithead. Was just wondering who all out there has Headroom amps/dac's and what your opinions of them are compared to other amps on the market. I'm very well pleased with the Ultra Micro and would probably recommend it to other's looking for a small, but not small sounding amp. The whole frequency range is very nicely detailed and the dynamics seem fairly quick and precise as well. Overall the Micro does a good job of making processed digital recordings not sound so digital. The OPA627s help to make things sound a bit more liquid and cohesive. I don't have the Ultra Micro DAC, but plan on getting one once I have the money for it. I can only imagine that this amp would sound even better with one of those behind it.

Jan 19, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 5
I just today received my new Headroom Balanced Desktop amp/dac (previously had micro stack and briefly tried out Millet hybrid with positive responses) and I've been listening to my Senn 650s singled ended (am awaiting balanced cables) since I opened the box plugged in. Just took a break to check in on head-fi. The sound has been luscious thus far. Sorry, no more time to describe and compare. I did my research, I'm intoxicated with the results, think the Headroom product and people are top notch and now back to the sounds...

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 5
Also just a note on Headroom's customer service. My order was originally mixed up and my order shipped to Maryland and not my address. I called Headroom and they said they would "take care of it right away." The very next morning there was a knock at my door and a FedEx carrier with my Headroom shipment. Apparently taking care of it right away meant overnighting my order to me. Excellent service as far as I'm concerned.

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 5
I agree about the customer service!
I was looking for an alternative studio headphone, and was tired of the 7506's and 7509's (both standards in the studio), so I gave them my "wish list" and they came up with the perfect pair of phones that didn't leak, fit like a dream and sounded great too.

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 5
I had the ultra stack for a while, I ended up returning them in favor of the benchmark dac1 and later a wa6. The ultra stack sounds really smooth and detailed( be sure to have your midi settings to 96khz 2-24 bit, it makes a big difference), as I remember, a bit on the warm side. The main reasons I returned them was that the dac1 gave me the option of being a preamp for my speaker set-up, It gives me the option of going balanced at some point if I choose, and I found the dac1 to be more detailed over the ultra dac. I also wanted to try tubes, and I figured I could always fall back on the amp in the dac1 while trying different amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back