Headroom Amps: Different finishes?
Oct 10, 2001 at 1:30 AM Post #16 of 24
I have seen the Headroom amp lineup up close and personal and my take is -some thought went into the design,they look too damngood to be an accident.Nothing fancy but well thought out.And the MAXX is awsome in person,really

BTW-always thought using an independant volume control for each channel was a goofy idea,too much of a pain to change volume levels.Then I played with a blockhead which is totally dual mono.Know what ? My mind has been changed.If done correctly it is a very natural movement,and no worrying about the L/R channel tracking or balance control.So what is done correctly you ask ?
Simply placing one control at the opposite ends of the front panel.turns out to be a natural motion.
My "newest/latest/grearest/penultimate/damnamzing" incarnation of the Bride Of Zen (the BOZ) line stage has been totally redesigned with this "theivery" of concept.Also "stole" a page from the Foreplay design.All controls are top mounted like the foreplay but with more separation as in the blockhead for more distance,Project is in the "gotta finish this bitch" stage .

Oh yeah,the rickster also really likes hardwood cabinets,maybe offered as an option ? That way the prices will not change for the average Jahmoke (phoenetic spelling,have no clue how to spell JAMOAK,maybe knucklehead would be better)

Oct 11, 2001 at 9:55 PM Post #17 of 24
Heres some sample images of colored a Max amp...i couldn't get the silver and gold colors quite right but it will give you an approx idea what it might look like.

Click here
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2001 at 11:11 PM Post #18 of 24
Wow, I love that army green Max... Now I know what my next DIY amp is going to look like! Hmm, need some giant toggle switches, analog signal gauges, other military style components. That will look very cool.

Oct 11, 2001 at 11:12 PM Post #19 of 24
Nice job, squirt! Not to be chauvanistic or anything, but that pink Max just isn't right!
wink.gif

However, I would love a red Max! Would match my school colors AND my very RED Clou cables!
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 11, 2001 at 11:23 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Hmm, need some giant toggle switches, analog signal gauges, other military style components. That will look very cool.

Actually mil-spec parts are offered in a lot of high end gear.They differ mainly in the reliability and testing from consumer grade parts.Operation under extreme conditions is an essential quality.
The other area where military electronics differs is "servicability".The topology can not be too complex for field equipment and you should be able to perform a "field expedient " fix with readily available parts.

As for the "look" , no one that has ever carried a "prick 7" (PR-77 field radio) would even consider using colors for electronics that even remotely reminded them of that.No OD Green for the Rickmeister
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back