Headroom Amps: Different finishes?
Oct 9, 2001 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Vka

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking why the Headroom amps are all black and why they haven't come out with cooler finishes like silver, champagne or gold aluminum finishes. Its like the SCD-1 vs 777ES. One is ugly black and one is cool silver finish. Same goes with SA-14 US version and Europe version, one is black and one is copper gold.
Just wanna see if other people would be interested to see Headroom amps with special shiny finishes. Personally, I would love to see an all silver aluminum (SCD-1 like) finish for the Cosmic.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Oct 9, 2001 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 24
Different color Headroom amps sounds good to me...i really like my silver SCD-1 and i would think leaving the amps raw aluminum would make a statement or gold tone as well as more subdued colors like smoke...

Oct 9, 2001 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 24
I voted wood. it's subdued, warm. great contrast with all the high-tech stuff inside.

silver is pretty cool too, or aluminum, specially for the smaller (portable) anmps.

Oct 9, 2001 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 24
A wood finish would (pardon the pun) look pretty nice. I see some potential in a gold tone as well.

Oct 9, 2001 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 24
Can someone do a touched silver or gold aluminum finish of a Cosmic or New MAX in photoshop? I would love to see what it looks in shiny color. Too bad I don't have photoshop to play around....

And also, I wonder what Tyll, Todd and Company from Headroom has to say about new finishes, hehehe
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2001 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 24
Keep 'em functional. Keep 'em black. Or olive drab. There's enough pretty (whatever that does) stuff on the market for the NDPS types to elevate their noses about. HeadRoom amps are for LISTENING.

I still think they should come out with an amp with Airhead components hidden inside, and have a bunch of spiffy neat-o tubes, caps, meaningless meters and knobs on the outside. Put a 8-stage crossfeed switch on it - but make 7 of the positions sound the same. Then watch somebody put up a poll on which switch position sounds best. Encase the whole thing in overweight brass/oak cabinetry. Then call it the PlaceboMax Pro Gold or some such thing.

They could sell thousands.

Oct 9, 2001 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 24
Remember now. The better looking an amp is, the better the Wife/Girl Friend acceptance. In fact, my DCT-1 qualifies for furniture looking amp, hehehe. Also, something as cute as earmax pro definitely will fit in better than something that looks like the blue drabby microzotl.
True, its all about the sound. But hey, we all do appreciate art too
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2001 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 24
Pretty doesn't DO anything it just looks good. Thats the point usually although some companies do try to market it as a performance enhancer. I personally like something I spend alot on to look like the people who made it were proud enough to have visually stand apart from the rest.

Oct 10, 2001 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 24
A nice silver/brushed aluminum case would be cool. It shouldn't be too much more expensive. I'd guess it would look like a silver melos.

Oct 10, 2001 at 12:20 AM Post #14 of 24
I of course prefer sound over looks as well, and it's already a given that most of the top notch amps look very stunning already. I think Headroom's MAX already looks very mean, black, and badass just the way it is...silver would actually take away from its current aggressive look which I prefer IMO. Considering Headroom would indeed probably have to machine new metal casings out (unless of course you're happy with chipped paint, then you might as well paint the thing yourself) I'd personally forget looks...I'm not willing to pay extra just for attraction.

Oct 10, 2001 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 24
Ai' and Vka- forgive my sarcasm! Stark and functional is something that intrigues me. Crude, on the other hand, does not appeal to me, either!

One benefit of the black finish is that it shows abuse. That's very helpful if you are buying a used one.

It's just that I would hate to see some really good amps turned into something resembling that into which some old tart would toss her necklace before retiring for the day.

Not that that's imminent or anything, but, hey, somebody asked....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back