HeadRoom Amps and AKG's
Dec 24, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey aimlink,remember me
wink.gif
. i cant believe the coincidence,i just bought AKG701 from a fellow headfier and they are on their way to me,this is my first CAN but i have the ie8 and fx500 which are bass heavy iems,some very reputable headfiers like HPA(larry)said that the ie8 reminds him of the hd650 but the hd650 have wider soundstage but the bass is comparable.i will let you know about the comfort level of 701 and ofcourse the sound,i am pretty scared about their bass from all that reviews i read about them,i like deep punchy bass,very accurate and tight but not excessive.i will connect them via the micro amp and give you my impressions
tongue_smile.gif

Hey midoo1990... how can I forget.
smily_headphones1.gif
How did you sort out the voltage issue with the MicroAmp's walwart?

I agree that the IE8's are similar to the HD650, but I always thought the HD650's had better upper mid to treble sparkle and definition than the IE8's.

I'll certainly be looking out for your AKG impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif
They need a good amp and you have one there with you.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #17 of 24
i went to a very talented electrician and he repaired the power supply for me and he put a higher quality component in it that he says wll improve the sound and work flawsely.all good and the amp works great and i think it will be more than powerful for the AKG.i am waiting eagerly for the package.oh by the way,i found the best way to pay for any purchases here...western union.all the recepient have to do is to show his ID to the western union agent(clerk) and voila take the cash.no fees,no trouble,no account detail jsut the name of the recepient and the city,very convenient.i will keep this thread updated.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

i went to a very talented electrician and he repaired the power supply for me and he put a higher quality component in it that he says wll improve the sound and work flawsely.all good and the amp works great and i think it will be more than powerful for the AKG.i am waiting eagerly for the package.oh by the way,i found the best way to pay for any purchases here...western union.all the recepient have to do is to show his ID to the western union agent(clerk) and voila take the cash.no fees,no trouble,no account detail jsut the name of the recepient and the city,very convenient.i will keep this thread updated.

Great with the power supply.
smily_headphones1.gif
As to Western Union, there are quite a few of those here and one a little walking distance from where I live.

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My impression of the HD650's bass after listening to Denons and Ultrasones: The 650 bass was ample, but somehow colours the lower mids a tad. I wouldn't call it plentiful though. There was also a lack of extension and detail. Some detail is just little, if at all rendered. If you're using the word 'plentiful' to describe the bass of the HD650's, then I now understand your perspective and personal preference. Very helpful this is. Thanks much!!!

"Lack of detail" I'd agree with. But I thought the bass went plenty deep. For example, there is a VERY low and soft organ pedal, doubled with contrabass, that comes in about two minutes before the end of the Saturn section of Holst's The Planets (you can hear it in this clip just after 8:00 (YouTube - Gustav Holst - The Planets - Saturn). On my touchstone recording of this (Dutoit, Montreal), the organ is very evident. On a good system, you'll hear every note with clearly differentiated pitches, and the volume of the organ does not change as the musical phrase goes up in pitch. The organ pedal has a downwards phrase at 9:00; and you should hear all of that clearly, too. On either the 650's or the 702's, I heard all of the organ notes clearly, and I was hearing the fundamental, not just the harmonics. But on the 650, the organ muddied up what the other instruments were doing (the midbass especially, as you note); but not on the 702s.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #20 of 24
i received my AKG this morning and all what i can say is OMG!i am not from the type of guys who say wow these sound wonderful and after one week i go sell them!i evaluate my gears carefully and before i make any purchase i read tons of reviews to see exactly if it will fit my needs.i bought the 701 because the most important thing for me in music is soundstage,airness,vocals.the first impression i got when i opened the box is how big these headphones are.wow.super duper big and first class build quality and asthestics.they look extremly wonderful and world class.then i put them on and i was lost in them.all my ear was inside the pad and the pads covering all my ear,super super comfortable.i then connected them to my micro amp and played "The unforgiven"for metallica because i know this track extremly well and because it is excellently enginered.the first thing i noticed is soundstage and airness.The soundstage and airness involved in the music is breathtaking,literally jaw droping.guitars,cymbals,hihats all sound crisp and very natural,i can hear the pluq of the strings with ease and is very noticable.then comes the bass line about 1 minute i guess and i was afraid of this part because of them being described as weak in bass department.NONSENSE,the bass is very very very very accurate,well controlled,the deepest i have ever heard,impactfull..my sennheiser bass is uncontrolled and bloated and fat in comparison but is more powerful.all over this is one of the best bass i have ever heard,the only iem that i have and can compete with is the fx500 and its wooden house.next up i fired classical music from mozart and Alfie Boe and some jazz and i was stunned.the amount of details that are present and these headphones show is trul unbelievable.they are truly brutaly detailed,every page turn is showed,every one taking his breath or coughing is shown,every blow in a saxaphone is shown...these headphones are extremly detailed.all my classical music is from linnrecords.com.the synergy with the micro amp is out of this world,i use my micro amp with the highest gain around 9 or 10 oclock,these headphones are power hungery and they need powerful amp like the micro orultra micro...aimlink if you have any doubts about these headphones,they should vanish by now,this headphone is extremly neutral and with your headroom amps they will shine.if you have any question let me know and i will gladely answer them.i plan to make a full review because these headphones dont deserve all this bashing,but now because i have exams.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

i received my AKG this morning and all what i can say is OMG!i am not from the type of guys who say wow these sound wonderful and after one week i go sell them!i evaluate my gears carefully and before i make any purchase i read tons of reviews to see exactly if it will fit my needs.i bought the 701 because the most important thing for me in music is soundstage,airness,vocals.the first impression i got when i opened the box is how big these headphones are.wow.super duper big and first class build quality and asthestics.they look extremly wonderful and world class.then i put them on and i was lost in them.all my ear was inside the pad and the pads covering all my ear,super super comfortable.i then connected them to my micro amp and played "The unforgiven"for metallica because i know this track extremly well and because it is excellently enginered.the first thing i noticed is soundstage and airness.The soundstage and airness involved in the music is breathtaking,literally jaw droping.guitars,cymbals,hihats all sound crisp and very natural,i can hear the pluq of the strings with ease and is very noticable.then comes the bass line about 1 minute i guess and i was afraid of this part because of them being described as weak in bass department.NONSENSE,the bass is very very very very accurate,well controlled,the deepest i have ever heard,impactfull..my sennheiser bass is uncontrolled and bloated and fat in comparison but is more powerful.all over this is one of the best bass i have ever heard,the only iem that i have and can compete with is the fx500 and its wooden house.next up i fired classical music from mozart and Alfie Boe and some jazz and i was stunned.the amount of details that are present and these headphones show is trul unbelievable.they are truly brutaly detailed,every page turn is showed,every one taking his breath or coughing is shown,every blow in a saxaphone is shown...these headphones are extremly detailed.all my classical music is from linnrecords.com.the synergy with the micro amp is out of this world,i use my micro amp with the highest gain around 9 or 10 oclock,these headphones are power hungery and they need powerful amp like the micro orultra micro...aimlink if you have any doubts about these headphones,they should vanish by now,this headphone is extremly neutral and with your headroom amps they will shine.if you have any question let me know and i will gladely answer them.i plan to make a full review because these headphones dont deserve all this bashing,but now because i have exams.

Nice. Interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll be looking out for your more formal review.

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

i use my micro amp with the highest gain around 9 or 10 oclock,these headphones are power hungery and they need powerful amp like the micro orultra micro...

I have 702s (same as the 701s except for the color and detachable cable) and a micro amp, so I wonder if you are perhaps going deaf
L3000.gif

I have my microamp set on medium gain and the volume control is about 1/4 from full OFF to get very loud sound. I also tried the 702s with an ipod Touch yesterday without the amp, and though they were clearly underpowered and lacking in dynamics, they were still quite loud.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 702s (same as the 701s except for the color and detachable cable) and a micro amp, so I wonder if you are perhaps going deaf
L3000.gif

I have my microamp set on medium gain and the volume control is about 1/4 from full OFF to get very loud sound. I also tried the 702s with an ipod Touch yesterday without the amp, and though they were clearly underpowered and lacking in dynamics, they were still quite loud.

when i evaluate a new headphone i like to listen loud
L3000.gif
.no but seriously,i listen to classical music with them right now and i turn them to about 8 or 9 oclock max,it all depends on the recording.these headphones are unbelievable for classical music,the amount of details coupled with the micro amp is insane and the soundstage wow.i think i will never go back to IEMs,from now on i will invest in full size headphones and amps
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #24 of 24
pbarach...thx for the info.

I have the AKG 702/Ultra Micro combo that I use with iPod Classic and the SendDock. With gain setting on high, I would say 9 o'clock is about as loud as I go. I did run them at about 10 - 11 o'clock for a good number of hours to help break them in, but they weren't on my head for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back