HeadRoom Amps and AKG's
Dec 22, 2009 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
The AKG 701/2s are consistently associated with comments with regard to their bass response and reproduction. Are there any HR micro or desktop amp users who have experience with the AKG's. What have your experiences been. I'm seriously thinking of adding an AKG to my experience but that bass response is what has me a tad concerned.

Any comments with regard to the AKG's and how well they pair with the HeadRoom amps?

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKG 701/2s are consistently associated with comments with regard to their bass response and reproduction. Are there any HR micro or desktop amp users who have experience with the AKG's. What have your experiences been. I'm seriously thinking of adding an AKG to my experience but that bass response is what has me a tad concerned.

Any comments with regard to the AKG's and how well they pair with the HeadRoom amps?

I have a micro ampand there is ample bass with my 702s.

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 24
I decided to hold off with the AKG's. Their size is a deterrent for me, as well as the described comfort issues with the bumps on the headband. If I wasn't anxious about the bass, then I'd have overlooked those issues. I don't think I'll take the chance. I prefer hearing them first, and I doubt that will happen.

Thanks for the comments so far!!

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 24
AKG.....Ah, I dream to hold a pair of 702 in my hands in 2010.
Also somehow concerned a bit about the bass, I'm saving up to buy an RSA P-51 or Hornet or Tomahawk....A Portable Micro Amp might be too big to strap under my IPC.
Headband bumps. I vaguely remember seeing a thread here on Head-Fi about stuffing marshmallows inside.

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 24
The AKG's are quite difficult to drive. Need good transient juice to make them properly express themselves. Though RSA Audio will understandably claim their portables to be able to properly tame a pair of AKG's, my skepticism is certainly there.

I am underwhelmed by the P-51 Mustang. Makes for a nice portable ......... for portable cans. Nothing more, IMO. For other applications, i.e., non-portable... I guess it's better than nothing.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

I decided to hold off with the AKG's. Their size is a deterrent for me, as well as the described comfort issues with the bumps on the headband. If I wasn't anxious about the bass, then I'd have overlooked those issues. I don't think I'll take the chance. I prefer hearing them first, and I doubt that will happen.

Thanks for the comments so far!!

I'm bald, and the headband bumps don't bother me. I REALLY disliked the strong clamping of the Senn 650's on my temples, whereas the 702's are looser up there (but seal well) and a little more strongly gripping at the bottoms of the earpieces. All of these things depend on the shape of your head!

Concerning the bass, I don't know why some people think it's insufficient. I think it's well balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum and clearly defined as to pitch.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm bald, and the headband bumps don't bother me. I REALLY disliked the strong clamping of the Senn 650's on my temples, whereas the 702's are looser up there (but seal well) and a little more strongly gripping at the bottoms of the earpieces. All of these things depend on the shape of your head!

Concerning the bass, I don't know why some people think it's insufficient. I think it's well balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum and clearly defined as to pitch.

What are you using to amp the AKG's? What other cans do you use?

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

What are you using to amp the AKG's? What other cans do you use?

I am using a Headroom Micro Amp. I sold Senn 650's and bought these. I had 600's before that.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 24
I owned the 650's and used them with a microamp as well as ultra micro amp, so we can share that as a reference. How does the AKG bass compare with the 650's? Which do you prefer?

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

I owned the 650's and used them with a microamp as well as ultra micro amp, so we can share that as a reference. How does the AKG bass compare with the 650's? Which do you prefer?

The 650's were very dark sounding to me. The bass was diffuse but plentiful. In contrast, the bass on the 702s is very tight but with plenty of low extension. And the 702s have more top-end sparkle. They are much less wearing to listen to, for me anyway. BTW I broke in both the 650s and the 702s for at least a hundred hours before drawing any conclusions about the sound quality.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 24
My impression of the HD650's bass after listening to Denons and Ultrasones: The 650 bass was ample, but somehow colours the lower mids a tad. I wouldn't call it plentiful though. There was also a lack of extension and detail. Some detail is just little, if at all rendered. If you're using the word 'plentiful' to describe the bass of the HD650's, then I now understand your perspective and personal preference. Very helpful this is. Thanks much!!!

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 24
I bought the Ultra Micro Amp with the Astrodyne Switching Power Supply and I use that with the AKG 702s...just bought the rig from HeadRoom at the beginning of November.

I was not a previous Headphone user (other than my Shure e3's from i-Pod), but I love the way the rig sounds. The AKGs did sound lean at first. I ran them off my head for quite a few days at medium-loud volume setting to help speed up the break-in process.

I think the AKGs are pretty "accurate" as compared to my hi-fi. I run Rotel amp into Monitor Audio Gold Reference 60's. I would call that set up "accurate" with solid reproduction down to around 30hz. The music I play with solid bass extension in the hi-fi seems to flow through just as well or better in the AKGs.

I wish I had a better headphone reference for you. Only problem I've had is with the HeadRoom amp...$600 bucks and I already get static from a loose headphone jack in amp. The amp drives the headphones very well...just be careful about the amp build.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpendsTooMuch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the Ultra Micro Amp with the Astrodyne Switching Power Supply and I use that with the AKG 702s...just bought the rig from HeadRoom at the beginning of November.

I was not a previous Headphone user (other than my Shure e3's from i-Pod), but I love the way the rig sounds. The AKGs did sound lean at first. I ran them off my head for quite a few days at medium-loud volume setting to help speed up the break-in process.

I think the AKGs are pretty "accurate" as compared to my hi-fi. I run Rotel amp into Monitor Audio Gold Reference 60's. I would call that set up "accurate" with solid reproduction down to around 30hz. The music I play with solid bass extension in the hi-fi seems to flow through just as well or better in the AKGs.

I wish I had a better headphone reference for you. Only problem I've had is with the HeadRoom amp...$600 bucks and I already get static from a loose headphone jack in amp. The amp drives the headphones very well...just be careful about the amp build.

Thanks for this. It was still helpful. I now know that I'd go for the AKG's with a 30day return policy to use.

As to the loose jack, those 1/8" jacks are delicate. You should be able to have it repaired under warranty if there's a defect there which there seems to be. Do you use a 1/4 to 1/8" adaptor and if so, which one do you use? Is it this type or this type?

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #15 of 24
hey aimlink,remember me
wink.gif
. i cant believe the coincidence,i just bought AKG701 from a fellow headfier and they are on their way to me,this is my first CAN but i have the ie8 and fx500 which are bass heavy iems,some very reputable headfiers like HPA(larry)said that the ie8 reminds him of the hd650 but the hd650 have wider soundstage but the bass is comparable.i will let you know about the comfort level of 701 and ofcourse the sound,i am pretty scared about their bass from all that reviews i read about them,i like deep punchy bass,very accurate and tight but not excessive.i will connect them via the micro amp and give you my impressions
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back