Headroom amp equivalents?
Sep 2, 2008 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ruahrc

100+ Head-Fier
So I have heard that amps from Headroom are typically a little on the pricey side, but that they are quality amps. What I'm trying to figure out, is exactly how overpriced they are. I mean if spending $2k on a pimped out HR desktop amp only gets me an amp as good as a Gilmore Lite, then maybe I should consider some other options. But if a $2k HR amp compares to another amp in the $1700 range then it would seem more reasonable to consider the HR amps.

How would a HR Desktop amp (including "Home" electronics) compare to something like a LittleDot Mk3 or Mk4? I am aware that the MK3 and 4 are tube amps with an intentionally different sound characteristic, but in general how would it compare? How about the Mk5 solid state amp?

What about comparing the Desktop amp with "home" DAC option it to the the Zero 24bit DAC/Amp? Are these in the same performance category?

What about a maxed out Desktop amp? Using max electronics and DAC, is it on the level of say a Headamp GS-1000 (just the amplification part as the GS-1000 has no DAC)? Would the Max DAC compare with a Benchmark DAC1?

On the balanced side, how does the Balanced desktop amp fare? With it's "home" level electronics is it on the same level as the "home" electronics single ended Desktop amp, but a little better because of its balanced design? Does the balanced design make it better than the single ended Desktop amp with "max" level circuitry? What level of balanced headphone amp would be comparable to say a Headamp GS-X? The balanced Max?

I know a lot of these comparisons are not really absolute, but I'm just trying to get a general idea of the quality level of the various levels of HR amps. I like the styling of the HR amps, and also the all-in-one amp+DAC functionality as I have limited space and don't want to pick up a bunch of giant boxes for a listening nook. Also I had a good experience with my previous purchase from HR, and would not mind paying a little premium to shop from them again. However, if I am paying $2k for a setup that I can get for $500 by another manufacturer, I don't think I could justify that amount of premium.

Ruahrc

P.S. the set of headphones I would like to get is the AKG k701s. I had a listen to them running off a Little Dot tube amp and Keces DAC and thought they sounded pretty good. I actually would have preferred a little brighter sound which I think I would be getting from a SS amp design rather than tubes. Anyways, just to let you know what kind of cans I am thinking about using.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 11
The revenue distribution of every company is different. Headroom feels more like a professional business operation with payroll and management costs. Resultantly, their products might be more expensive in exchange for consistent service and preservation of reputation. In comparison, I've always regarded Headamp, Singlepower and their ilk as boutique businesses. Unfortunately due to their approach, these smaller operations blossom and contract unpredictably along with their quality of services. If you want to shave your spending you could look elsewhere, just remember there's no guarantee that you'll receive support for your purchase if these businesses go down. Headroom, on the other hand, has changed little or at not all for years and years.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 11
Headroom products are not overpriced (I don't know where this misconception stems from; could someone provide examples please?). Considering what you get on just about all product tiers, their pricing is very down to earth.

For example, the Balanced Desktop + DPS is superb in every respect; build quality (first rate, solid external construction, open them up and you find a high quality PCB, clean circuit design, and perfect solder joints on every component), sound quality (very low noise floor, very clean, very neutral, lots of power), feature set (great dac, and lots of inputs), price (less than $2000 for both, on the low side for balanced amps, much less balanced amps that include great dacs).

Finally, go to the HR sponsored forum and take a look at their facility. They are a well equipped operation with the personnel available to ship or repair whatever product you buy from them in a timely manner.

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 11
I own only Headroom amps and buy headphones and accessories there whenever possible. Not only do they make an excellent product and provide superb customer support for the money, but I decided to put my money where my mouth was and Buy American. Well worth the few extra bucks to support a company that deserves it.

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 11
There's a fairly recent thread on this topic, which you may have come across already. How are HR amps "overpriced?" Relative to SQ? Feature set? Footprint? Colourful-ness? When compared to vintage motorcycles?

Within the current lineup I've heard three and own one: the Balanced w/DAC, and I think it's a SCREAMING bargain. It's the most satisfying headphone product I've ever owned, and it takes up very little space for all its considerable utility. The HR lineup is large and features some sweetspots and some items that might need updating -- the aesthetics of the pricier amps let them down a bit, in my view. But they're very well designed and can sound terrific, and the company is here to stay. You have to decide whether they're worth it.

best,

o

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruahrc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about a maxed out Desktop amp? Using max electronics and DAC, is it on the level of say a Headamp GS-1000 (just the amplification part as the GS-1000 has no DAC)? Would the Max DAC compare with a Benchmark DAC1?

I have both the HR "maxed out" Desktop with Max DAC and a Benchmark DAC1 and Headamp GS-1 -- I've used both with AKG 701s. All I can say is that after I heard the DAC1/GS-1 with the K701s, I've never gone back to the HR amp/DAC. Not that the HR was bad at all, but rather with the K701s, the DAC1/GS-1 was just so much better, at least for me. The one thing that I've not done (and perhaps should do at some point, maybe) is try the DAC1 with the HR Desktop amp itself, bypassing the DAC -- I don't know whether this would change things or not, but my suspicion is that my preference for the DAC1/GS-1 is probably due to better "synergy" of the K701s with the GS-1 amp rather than differences in the two DACs. In fact even the DAC1's own internal amp didn't match as well as the GS-1 did with the K701s. The bottom line is that K701s seem to be somewhat "fussy" about what amps work best with them, and my impression is that HR amps may not be the best choice.

Sep 4, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 11
Interesting comments. Could you try to elaborate on them more? Was the DAC1+GS-1 objectively better than the maxed out HRD, or subjectively better for your preferences? And did your maxed out HRD have the DPS? Was it close or a huge difference?

Ruahrc

Sep 4, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruahrc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting comments. Could you try to elaborate on them more? Was the DAC1+GS-1 objectively better than the maxed out HRD, or subjectively better for your preferences? And did your maxed out HRD have the DPS? Was it close or a huge difference?

Ruahrc

I think it would help if you elaborated on what you mean by "objectively better".

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #10 of 11
I think he means that was the DAC1+GS-1 less "technical", as in less dynamics, less details, in other words, lesser in the technicals than a Headroom product.

Or did you find the system more colored to your tastes?

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 11
by objective I mean something quantifiable. Lower noise floor, less distortion, etc. I suppose at this level of amp these changes probably cannot be measured without the use of an occiliscope, but what I was looking for was comments a little more substantial than "it sounded better".

Ruahrc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back