Headphonia Burned Me
Sep 4, 2007 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Eagle Eye

500+ Head-Fier
I ordered the Headphonia a couple months ago and actually liked the sound of this amp very well. They sent me an AC adaptor later and eventually I got the different knob I ordered.  Remember Robert is pretty much a one man show and it takes a little while to get the stuff but he is an upright guy who takes care of his customers.  It was all worth waiting in my opinion as he has a perfect product for the price.

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 30
I kind of wondered about that as well. TBH, I don't expect the new knob to arrive this eon so I've decided to let go (but I did recieve an AC adapter a while after I got the amp and I was also informed that it would be late). The amp itself works well and IMHO sounds great with Ety ER4 w/ bass boost on but I can't recommend anyone to try to get one considering their way of business (I'm quite sure the interest in the Headphonia here on Head-Fi is quite low already since the company's integrity has already been questioned. They still sell the PenguinAmp, though, so anyone who wish to contact them try here).

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 30
I got an amp from him late last month, just before he was going back on vacation. He told me he was taking his site down to convert his name and product to "Headstage". He gave me an alternate site to visit and solicited comment during construction: walkamp.com, I think it was. I don't think he's dropped from site as he has new models coming out after the name change.

Have you tried to e-mail him?

jg125

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 30
Thanks guys, I will keep trying to contact him.

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 30
The penguin Amps guy has had impecable customer service, and still has both the headphonia name and penguinamps name on ebay. http://www.penguinamp.com - This is an Excellent amplifier, I posted a mini review and will have another review on the Caffeine amp with bass boost, hopefully by the end of the month.

I suppose he has been very busy with changing Headphonia over to Headstage, but has some great things in the works and has been very busy with that too!

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 30
I am in same headphonia boat. I gave up before trying to contact him (it was hard enough to get the amp) and just bought a charger and rechargable battery last week for like $20. thanks for the website info.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 30
I have a completely different take on Headphonia or "Headstage" as it is now tentatively called. I find the persistent bias against Robert troubling. I have had nothing but good service from him as well as winning an exceptional amplifier on ebay for $51. I was sent an updated amp compared to the one I won. It has 3300uf caps as opposed to the 2200s advertised and is burning in to be an amazing performer. He has answered many and varied emails from me in English (which is obviously not his native language). I am a picky customer and he has co-operated with me at every step. We are all busy at times and we all make mistakes. I think if any of us was treated with the unforgiving attitude that he has been around here, we would have written this place (and anyone connected with it) off entirely, as this forum has him. A little patience and forgiveness goes a long way with the worst of people, and Robert is far from the worst regardless of any lapses of judgment he has had. Kind of like the the one without sin throwing the first stone thing?! Just my two cents.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 30
* finds 10-foot pole, considers briefly, shakes head, drops pole, runs fast despite advancing age and girth *

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #10 of 30
I have also gotten excellent customer service from Robert. I hope that you email him and I would guess that he will be responsive. I understand that there was quite the alarm about the source of a earlier amp design. I do not understand what he was thinking originally, but I do know that he is tryingto make amends. I hope you email him and good luck

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
* finds 10-foot pole, considers briefly, shakes head, drops pole, runs fast despite advancing age and girth *

Haven't heard this one before
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 30
I never really got involved in the whole meier-headphonia debate personally; however, I have to state this FACT: When I saw his amps for sale on ebay, the description he used was literally cut and pasted onto his ebay ad from Meier Audio's site.

auction # 32015893524

http://cgi.ebay.com/High-Resolution-Headphone-Amplifier-Amp-BEST-SOUND_W0QQitemZ320158935246QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3274 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/URL]

Quoted from Meier's site: "Modern portable audio equipment can be truly amazing. From the energy of two small batteries a portable CD-player nowadays feeds us with over 30 hrs of music. However, the use of a supply voltage of just 3V has its price as far as sound quality is concerned. Many headphones require quite a high signal to obtain reasonable sound levels. The supply voltage of 3V of modern portables simply doesn't provide enough "juice" to drive these headphones properly and sound quality is rather poor."

Quoted from Headphonia's ebay auction:

"Modern portable audio equipment is really amazing: From the energy of two small batteries a portable CD- or MP3-player provides 30 hours of music and more. However, the use of a supply voltage of 3V only has it's price as far as sound quality is concerned. High-end headphones require a high signal to obtain reasonable sound levels. The supply voltage of 3V of modern portables doesn't provide enough 'juice' to drive these headphones properly."

If I'd given Robert any slack before, I'm not now. He can't even write up his own descriptions without plagiarizing! Oh, and BTW, headstage sells the same amps that caused Dr. Meier to sue Robert Gerkhe for patent infringement in the first place. So much for RG...

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

I never really got involved in the whole meier-headphonia debate personally;

Neither did I, but plagiarizing is foul, loool. As if the situation isn't bad enough already.

to the OP, what headphones are you using them for? How are they?

Quote:

We offer a 30 day money back guaranty in case you are not satisfied with your purchase. Usually we will refund the same amount you have paid to us (incl. shipping costs). However you pay for the shipping back to us.

that's superb. rarely you see online businesses refunding inc. shipping costs.

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, the current URL for his Headstage website is Walkamp.com.

Nice new models, especially the USB!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back