headphones!
May 23, 2006 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kasp3r

500+ Head-Fier
I was wondering what headphones(cans) would be a nice choice for me. I never had "quailty headphones" so I am asking advice. For under 150 dollars what would be a nice headphones. I listen to techno and rock alot, thats about it lol. Also I am deaf on one ear so I dont know if that changes anything.

(portable)- the um1's, would they be a good choice for me, for the type of music I listen too? I like how they have low microphonics. dont know if it matters that I am deaf on one side.

May 23, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 19
microphonics is the noise that the headphones/cables pick up while moving around against things. It's especially prevelant with IEMs because they go right inside your ear, thus bringing the end of the microphonic line closer to the eardrum.

Anyways, headphones under 150...

Full sized headphones:

AKG K240 Studio
Grado SR80
Grado/Alessandro MS1
Sennheiser HD555
AKG K81 DJ
Audio Technica A500

Smaller headphones:

Koss portaPro
Sennheiser PX100

In Ear Moniters (IEM)

Westone UM1
Ultimate Ears Super Fi Pro 3
Etymotix ER6i

Pretty much all of those headphones will sound great, even with only one ear. All are great headphones, though the sound signature varies. I like the AKG, Koss, and Grado energetic sound, I find the Sennheisers to be a bit flat and boring. Optimally you'd want to try out at least a few of the headphones before buying them.

May 23, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 19
I wonder if there is a store in Austin that I can try all those headphones! Btw thanks for the fast response. Grado's and Akg look really nice and I am sure they sound nice also.

May 23, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 19
Since you are deaf in one ear you should think about an amp that has dual volume pots (or at least a balance pot). This would allow you to at least get a better sense of the stereo effect. I would also suggest an amp with crossfeed.

As far as cans I would look into an used Grado SR225 or Alesandro MS2i.

May 24, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Since you are deaf in one ear you should think about an amp that has dual volume pots (or at least a balance pot). This would allow you to at least get a better sense of the stereo effect. I would also suggest an amp with crossfeed.

As far as cans I would look into an used Grado SR225 or Alesandro MS2i.

Im a total newb, and I have no idea what a amp that has dual volume pots, with crossfeed, or where to get them? You have an idea or a link at a store?

May 24, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r
Im a total newb, and I have no idea what a amp that has dual volume pots, with crossfeed, or where to get them? You have an idea or a link at a store?

Don't worry about amps at the moment. Think of two stereo speakers: each speaker outputs one channel, but by the time the sound reaches your ears you hear some of both channels. With headphones, each driver outputs one channel directly into its respective ear. So in your case you'll only be hearing the right or left (whichever ear is not deaf) channel of the recording, if you play a stereo song without doing anything else.

Crossfeed is a technique that bleeds the two channels together a bit, but that isn't really your best option. What you want to do is step down your recordings to mono... then you'll be good to go.

Anyone know a really easy and straightforward way to do that?

-Angler
etysmile.gif

EDIT: typo

May 24, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

dont know if it matters that I am deaf on one side.

Not to sound like a prick but please be carful with your hearing and do not listen to loud. I know when I listen with one ear I tend to listen at much louder levels than I would with two in order to compensate. However I do not know if that is a factor when you can only here out of one ear.

As for your question I am not sure at the $150 range, but canalphones are great. They will also allow you to enjoy the music at lower volumes because they block ambient noise. I think the canalphone market gets much more interesting at the $200 mark.

Anyway in your price range I have only heard to canalphones, the E2c and the ER-6i. I like the ER-6i better (I also listen to Rock mostly). They are cleaner and have a better seal. The E2c has a muddy sound in comparison. As a side not the E2c did not improve much when amped and the bass on the ER-6i improved a good bit when amped. All in all though I would spend more because the next level is a big jump is sound quality IMO.

May 24, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 19
yeah I try to becareful, it sucks that I have to becareful 24/7 :/

I might save up somemore, I already have a dap. What is around the 200 mark?

May 24, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

I dont know if it matters that I am deaf on one side.

This may sound crazy, but this fact could save you a lot of money; every now and then you see headphones for sale with one driver dead, which means a HUGE difference in price since they're essentially unusable to most people. Perhaps you could pick up a nice set of cans for cheap this way. Like an HD650, CD3000, K701, RS1, et cetera, with one side dead driver. Who knows?

May 24, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
This may sound crazy, but this fact could save you a lot of money; every now and then you see headphones for sale with one driver dead, which means a HUGE difference in price since they're essentially unusable to most people. Perhaps you could pick up a nice set of cans for cheap this way. Like an HD650, CD3000, K701, RS1, et cetera, with one side dead driver. Who knows?

Ooh, yeah, never thought of that, but he is right, you can get HUGE discounts on those babies, I say take a look around some used cans before you make a decision.

May 24, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaftedTwice
Ooh, yeah, never thought of that, but he is right, you can get HUGE discounts on those babies, I say take a look around some used cans before you make a decision.

oo I never thought of that before, the only problem is that they have to be working on the right side, and second where could I find driver dead cans? I never seen one for sale before. so many options now :O!

May 24, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

oo I never thought of that before, the only problem is that they have to be working on the right side, and second where could I find driver dead cans? I never seen one for sale before. so many options now :O!

Most headphones are symmetrical in such a way that it doesn't matter which way you wear them. Exceptions that come to mind are the HD-555 and -595. Just look around on eBay and the For Sale forums here - something's bound to pop up eventually and will definitely be worth it.

May 24, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
Most headphones are symmetrical in such a way that it doesn't matter which way you wear them. Exceptions that come to mind are the HD-555 and -595. Just look around on eBay and the For Sale forums here - something's bound to pop up eventually and will definitely be worth it.

wouldt it feel uncomfortable? Ill look at the fs forums..

I wonder if anyone in Austin knows a store that I can try headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back