Headphones without soundcard
Jun 18, 2012 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HIRVI

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 17, 2010
Posts
16
Likes
10
Hello,

My old headphones just broke so I am in need of new ones.
The thing is that the headphones/set I am going to buy must have good positional audio since it is most used for gaming and I don't really use them for anything else.

My budget is something like 150euros but I can extend it a little maybe.

I have considered buying Sennheiser PC 360s but I heard that they are crap without soundcard.
What about Sennheiser HD 558?
Is there any cheap soundcards, I mean CHEAP to make the audio decent? Is ASUS PCI 5.1 Xonar_DG any good?
I have some bad integrated soundcard and no amplifier. (Not gonna buy amp now).

I am going to order the headset from Finland and the market here is damn bad for the headphones so if you're going to say buy Superlux/Brainwaz or something don't because we don't have them here.

Also everything here is bit costy.

Hope I find help to my issue from here.
 
Jun 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 10

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Posts
29,140
Likes
1,852
Location
California
Quote:
My old headphones just broke so I am in need of new ones.
The thing is that the headphones/set I am going to buy must have good positional audio since it is most used for gaming and I don't really use them for anything else.
My budget is something like 150euros but I can extend it a little maybe.
I have considered buying Sennheiser PC 360s but I heard that they are crap without soundcard.
What about Sennheiser HD 558?
Is there any cheap soundcards, I mean CHEAP to make the audio decent? Is ASUS PCI 5.1 Xonar_DG any good?
I have some bad integrated soundcard and no amplifier. (Not gonna buy amp now).
I am going to order the headset from Finland and the market here is damn bad for the headphones so if you're going to say buy Superlux/Brainwaz or something don't because we don't have them here.
Also everything here is bit costy.

Using the Asus Xonar DG PCI sound card is usually better then on-board sound.
Thomann in Europe usually has good prices for headphone and they ship anywhere.
The Sennheiser HD558 would work fine the the Xonar DG.
 
Jun 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 10

tme110

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Posts
1,381
Likes
25
I've heard good things about the Xonar though haven't used it myself.  I'd suggest something external like the fiio e17 or a used nfb-12 or something but I think it's the gamers that like the Xonar more than anyone else so that could be your thing.
 
Jun 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 10

proton007

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Posts
3,518
Likes
179
The Xonar D/S is meant for gaming, the ST/STX is targeted towards music. 
Feature wise, and considering an all in one solution (5.1 + DAC + Headphone amp), the soundcard is a good choice. For 150 Euros you can get the Xonar STX.
 
Jun 19, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 10

HIRVI

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 17, 2010
Posts
16
Likes
10
Looks like I am going for that Xonar soundcard then.

Which of the headphones has the best performance with that card?


Also what does 'B-stock' mean on Thomanns site? Since they have DT770s for 136 euros. What about DT 990 for 145 euros? Are they any good for gaming?
 
Jun 19, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 10

stv014

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 17, 2011
Posts
3,493
Likes
269
Quote:
Also what does 'B-stock' mean on Thomanns site?

 
It means the product has already been used by someone else, and returned.
 
Quote:
Since they have DT770s for 136 euros. What about DT 990 for 145 euros? Are they any good for gaming?

 
If you do not need isolation, the 990 might be a better choice.
 
Jun 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 10

deathzero34

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Posts
49
Likes
10
I have the pc360 with the XONAR STX and I must say I have not had a better hearing headset before. Even compared to the razer, steelserie (the more streamline product for gamer) I beleive my sennheiser PC 360 have highter sound quality has well has reliability. The boom is solid the control are simple, no in-line control that are going to break (because they always break).
 
Jun 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 10

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Posts
29,140
Likes
1,852
Location
California
Quote:
Looks like I am going for that Xonar soundcard then.
Which of the headphones has the best performance with that card?
Also what does 'B-stock' mean on Thomanns site? Since they have DT770s for 136 euros. What about DT 990 for 145 euros? Are they any good for gaming?

B-stock (to me) means it's functional, but not in a "new" condition or has a cosmedic flaw.
I would say to pay the extra 10 Euros for the DT990, unless you need a headphone to block outside noise or to keep others near you from hearing you.
The DT990 are great for the "movie theater" or "concert hall" sound, but do need a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.
The DT990 can do just about anything.
 
Jun 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 10

HIRVI

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 17, 2010
Posts
16
Likes
10
Quote:
B-stock (to me) means it's functional, but not in a "new" condition or has a cosmedic flaw.
I would say to pay the extra 10 Euros for the DT990, unless you need a headphone to block outside noise or to keep others near you from hearing you.
The DT990 are great for the "movie theater" or "concert hall" sound, but do need a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.
The DT990 can do just about anything.

Have to take look on that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top