Headphones without AMPS
Jan 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #16 of 54
Most of Audiotechnica's ES series require little to no amping to drive the sound and the V-moda crossfades have proven to do the same as well. Try these, I have these two, so yea, based on experience. But what kind of music are you planning to listen to? Electro , indie, rock?

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:
Most of Audiotechnica's ES series require little to no amping to drive the sound and the V-moda crossfades have proven to do the same as well. Try these, I have these two, so yea, based on experience. But what kind of music are you planning to listen to? Electro , indie, rock?

I just need a flat response. But if there isn't i wanted V-shaped frequencies.

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #20 of 54
I think Impedance (the ohms figure) is not the only factor deciding how easy it is to drive a headphone. the sensitivity rating (dB) also needs to be considered.

I think it goes like this: low impedance + high sensitivity means that the headphone is easy to drive, so an amp is not really needed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #24 of 54
most people say Grado's don't NEED amps, and this is correct. They do not need them, but do they sound better with an amp? Yes, in some certain Amp's cases, amazingly so.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #25 of 54

Quote:
Again, it's definitely not a solid indicator. Generally, your ears are the only truth teller. If it sounds good without an amp, it probably doesn't need one.

Disagree, you won't know until you've plugged into an amp and heard what you might be missing, depending on your ears, the headphone and the amp the upgrade could be anything from a downgrade to OMG WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

Quote:
I'm using the HD598's and I think they have plenty of room of improvement. Does anyone think they already show their full potential without an amp?

I doubt it, very much so. Senns tend to really benefit from amping in my experience with the HD 595s.

Quote:

Even the expensive ones like Grado Rs-1 and Grado Sr-325?

Yes, all grados are easy to drive. But, it is my belief that they all benefit from a nice solid state amp (Objective 2 is my go to favorite)

Quote:
Yes. They still sound better with an amp, and hoe much better seems to go up as the headphones' prices go up.

(On a personal note, skip the 325.)

Some people like the 325.. Don't tell someone to skip something you haven't even owned :p

Quote:
most people say Grado's don't NEED amps, and this is correct. They do not need them, but do they sound better with an amp? Yes, in some certain Amp's cases, amazingly so.

agreed, for the most part... I like very clean amps with my grados, I feel it adds to the grado experience, even without adding any color. Some people really like colored amps with grados though. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #26 of 54
it adds a lot of OOMPH, honestly that's the best way to describe it. even my PA2v2 was something I couldn't live without after I had been so used to listening to my grado's through it. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #27 of 54

Quote:
it adds a lot of OOMPH, honestly that's the best way to describe it. even my PA2v2 was something I couldn't live without after I had been so used to listening to my grado's through it. 

Yeah, same with me I couldn't live without my PA2v2 the first time I used it. That little thing packs a punch!

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #29 of 54
Yeap. Recently just sold mine for 35 bucks. Man....what a steal. For how many years that things been around and it still remains king is testament to its legacy. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #30 of 54

Quote:
Disagree, you won't know until you've plugged into an amp and heard what you might be missing, depending on your ears, the headphone and the amp the upgrade could be anything from a downgrade to OMG WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

Some people like the 325.. Don't tell someone to skip something you haven't even owned :p

I've demoed the 325 a bit. Not enough to really say definitively, but enough to know it's not for me. :)

On the first point, I guess you'd be right. I mean, even if it sounds good, you'd still probably benefit enough (in some cases) that it's pseudo-necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back