Headphones with volume control
Mar 21, 2003 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tortoise

Head-Fier
I have a pair of Senn MX500 en route. As you all know, these have a volume control built into the cable. Last night the following question(s) popped into my non-audiophile head:

What is the optimum volume "combination" for the MX500 (or any headphone with its own volume control)? I plan on using these almost exclusively with my ipod, which has volume controls that are very easily accessible (I generally carry iPod in shirt pocket, and adjust volume with the touchwheel through the fabric), so I definitely don't need the volume control on the headphones, but they were practically the same price, so...

Anyway, without further ado, which of the following would give me the best sound quality:
  1. Max MX/Low iPod (i.e. crank MX500 volume to max, adjust volume with iPod controls)
  2. Medium MX/Medium iPod (i.e. keep MX volume level at about 75%, adjust volume with iPod control)
  3. Low MX/High iPod (i.e. keep MX volume level at around 50% or lower, iPod volume level fairly high, adjust volume with iPod controls)
  4. Low MX/Max iPod (i.e. keep iPod at max volume, adjust volume with MX controls)[/list=1]

Mar 21, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 12
Oops, guess it was an even dumber question than I thought...?
wink.gif

I guess I'll just try the various combinations and see, but I was just curious what the audiophile consensus would be. Apple's iPod FAQ says: Quote:

For optimal sound quality when using external speakers, set the iPod volume at less than half the maximum output and adjust your listening volume through your stereo controls. This prevents overamplification, which can cause distortion and reduce audio quality.

...but that is referring to speakers used with a receiver, not headphones.

Mar 22, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 12
I would set the mx500 volume to max and adjust the ipod volume from there. I'm sure the ipod's volume control allows you to adjust in finer increments than the mx500 doesn't it? Besides overamplification, there is also no point in adjusting two variables for volume so just leave the mx500 at max and centralize all your controls back to the ipod.

Mar 22, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the response, Podman!

The iPod does indeed have finer volume control. Despite my inclusion of option #4, I wasn't really considering using the MX500 volume control for adjustments. I realize that maxing the MX500 volume is probably the most convenient option, but I was wondering if keeping the MX's volume at a slightly lower level would produce the "best" sound.

Do any MX500 users have any experience with this? What volume level do you prefer to keep yours at?

Mar 22, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 12
if the headphones are set to low and not max, the output power is just put to waste then.

Mar 22, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
The best option, IMO, would be to totally bypass(remove) the
volume control of the mx500.

aka "buy the MX400"

wink.gif

Seriously, I've read all of the (many) threads that debated the relative merits of the two, some claiming that they are identical apart from the volume control, some claiming that the 500 has a slightly better sound, some claiming that "they both suck, get the Etys" (heh). At any rate, for better or for worse, I ordered the MX500, so my question remains:

What volume setting on the MX500 produces the best sound?

Mar 22, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 12
I think the mx500s sound very restricted when the volume control is anything other than max. I guess the mx500s just weren't meant to sound good with added resistance.

Mar 22, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
I think the mx500s sound very restricted when the volume control is anything other than max. I guess the mx500s just weren't meant to sound good with added resistance.

With the volume pot in it's max position, it is essentially at "0" ohm. Zero ohms may seem like the same as not having vol. pot. in the circuit, but the signal still has to flow thru the pot's arm and wiper. And it brings up, "How well does the pot track?"

Mar 22, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 12
The volume control on the MX500 is really an all or nothing thing. It's an easy and accessable mute control for all intents and purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back