Headphones with the most comfortable band
Dec 27, 2011 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

angershark

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Shure 750DJs and though I'm pleased with the sound, they simply crush the top of my head something fierce. There's just no padding in it and the band lays 'flat', leaving a single point of downward pressure on my poor cone head.

Is there something I can do to swap out the torture device of a band on the 750DJs to make them more bearable AND visible in public (i.e. i won't be stuffing a sock under the band), and if not, what set of headphones would be a similar style (preferably closed back)? The main use of them will be plugged into my laptop while I work, no proper amp or anything, though I'm not ruling out 'proper' use in the future.

The Beats by Dre Studio headphones have lovely comfort going for them, and if they sounded acceptable, I might be inclined to sacrifice the sound quality for the comfort since I could wear them a full working day without feeling it. Sadly, from what I've read here, they sound awful (but boy are they comfortable).

I was looking at Quincy Jones' answer to the Beats in the Q701s (even though they're open, my coworkers can deal), however I've heard the band on those are also painful.

The Audio-Technica Pro700MK2's looked pretty good, and the band seems a bit more curved to apply even pressure, but that was from watching a video of a tiny asian pop star wearing them (i'm 6'2" so my head is bigger and probably more at risk of the dreaded single point of pressure mentioned above). 

I don't listen to much bass heavy music, mostly instrumental and asian pop tossed in for good or bad measure, depending in your preference :p

AKG designs are pretty nice (somewhat important in my decision making), and a detachable cable is preferred as well (I guess the 750DJs spoiled me, whilst crushing my skull).

Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated, and honestly, if my above is just too much info, not enough info, or i should hit the curb/search bar even more (i've done a fair bit around here and on google as well as amazon reviews), please say so.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 5
KRK KNS 8400. Go to a Guitar Center and try them out; if you have a GC near you you can't make the mistake of not trying these headphones out.

Why do I think they fit your bill?
1) Comfortable. One of the most noticeable things about these headphones. I listened to them for 3 straight hours when I first opened them up 2 days ago and they were comfy the whole time. Perfect fit around ears, lightweight for circumaurals, no vice grip clamping, memory foam pads at the top to reduce pressure on the top of your head. Overall an extremely ergonomic design that was clearly meant to put comfort first (which leads to one of the few cons I'll mention later).
2) Closed back
3) No need for an amp (my laptop and phone can both easily power them)
4) Not bass-focused headphones that detract from other qualities. High clarity and excellent mids/highs, which I find optimal for classical music. So if you want to steer away from bass monsters that ruin other qualities, these are great. Not that they have no bass, it's just not overwhelming and it's of the controlled type that I like (I mean I listen to dubstep, drum and bass, and house and I still enjoy it).
5) Detachable cable. KRK also has both shorter cables and longer cables in case the stock length isn't to your preference.

The con I referred to earlier is the looks. They aren't really anything to look at. Not necessarily ugly (like to me the HD 25 are ugly), but immediately you will not be impressed with the looks. While wearing them, they have what I call the flying buttress look where on the sides of your head there's some empty space between your head and the band. Realistically, I actually think that that design is what makes them so comfy, and it's a tradeoff that I'm absolutely fine with. Also, I have a medium-small head, and when my brother tried them on he didn't have the flying buttresses as much (his head is more like medium-medium), so I would imagine on a large head you would have a marginal flying buttress look.

Another thing to point out is that if you do go try them out in a GC, make sure you give a little bit of time for the memory pads to set in. I read a lot of reviews about how they're so comfy, and the first I thought when I put them on was "yea, definitely comfy, but nothing special, like a 8/10 on comfort", and then when the pads set in it changed to "ooh, definitely comfy, 9/10". And of course I can't guarantee comfort since it's subjective and everyone's head/ears are different, but a lot of people have success on the comfort front with 8400s. Again, you can't make the mistake of not giving them a quick try out.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 5
You could try adding headphone padding to the underside of the SRH750DJ headband, like what this guy did with his Ultrasone Pro 900 - [Link] The padding he used is split in the middle, perfect if you have a pointier head.

As for headphones, one you physically can't go wrong with is the DT770 Pro version.  It has an easily accessible solid spring steel headband which you can bend however you want it to fit, cone head or no.  It also has a similar, closed sound signature, a bit bass heavy.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 5
thanks for the tips guys. I'm really digging that DIY padding link, thanks for the link! I'm definitely going to try it out. The 750DJs have a fabric inner band, so i might just be able to find some double sided velcro and make it that much easier to pad the phones for less skull crushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back