headphones with the grado sound but hd650 soundstage?
Sep 3, 2004 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

modi

Head-Fier
Has anyone come across a set of cans with the punchy, detailed grado sound along with the Sennheiser soundstage and imaging all without sounding cold and analytical? A big ask I know. Basically a headphone with the strengths of high end grado's and Senn's in one.

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 11
i had heard both headphone. but in different amps.
sen's 650 got me just like in a small goldfish bowl,too much bass.
i would like to bear grado's high and bright.

Sep 3, 2004 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 11
Well the Beyer 880 is as fast as the Grado but with a touch more musical warmth, or emotion portrayal. It also has a larger, better soundstage than the 650. That's pretty much why I kept them while returning the Grado 325 and Senn 600. The Grado was missing that last thing needed for musical connection and the Senn I really didn't care for so... Beyer 880 it is for me. Closest thing I've heard to my PSB Stratus Golds by far.

Sep 3, 2004 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 11
A slightly forward sound without veil but a nice natural soundstage would be, for me, the Beyer DT860 (driven from 120 ohm corda prehead) although I have no idea how it sounds unamped. Anyway, it's the closest thing I heard to a "best of grado and senn in one"

-Taurui

Sep 3, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Well the Beyer 880 is as fast as the Grado but with a touch more musical warmth, or emotion portrayal. It also has a larger, better soundstage than the 650. That's pretty much why I kept them while returning the Grado 325 and Senn 600. The Grado was missing that last thing needed for musical connection and the Senn I really didn't care for so... Beyer 880 it is for me. Closest thing I've heard to my PSB Stratus Golds by far.

Hey Solude, those DT880's - how are they in the bass department?

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 11
The 880 has less bass emphasis than the 770 from what I understand but extends farther. So bass is better in extention and quality, but less in quantity. That said the bass is still very much present. If its in the recording you get it. If its not then its not. So if you are looking for car systems bass, ie inflated bass, the 880 isn't it but if you want full spectrum bass thats clean, fast and deep then yes the 880 is your cup of tea.

Sep 3, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by modi
Has anyone come across a set of cans with the punchy, detailed grado sound along with the Sennheiser soundstage and imaging all without sounding cold and analytical? A big ask I know. Basically a headphone with the strengths of high end grado's and Senn's in one.

you might like to consider the AT W1000. I'm a big Grado fan, didn't like the Sennheiser sound(too veiled) but find the ATs much better.To my ear a bit less coloured/warm than the Grados and will probably show up bad recordings more readily but that may depend on source/amp. Worth a trial if you can get a listen.

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 11
You may also want to audition the HD 595. While, I haven't heard hih end Grados, I've heard that they are a good mix of the up front grado sound and the Senn soundstage. I know I'm very happy with my pair!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by modi

The HD595 might work, but I think really the best thing you could do would be to get the HD650 and match it to a source and amp that work with it's properties to create the overall sound you're looking for. The DAC1 used as both source and amp along with silver cables, I don't recall the brand (they were Iron_Dreamer's) really brought the 650's to life. OTOH, when used with my rig, the 650's sounded very good, but I could certainly understand where all the veiled comments come from in regard to the high end Senn line.

Sep 3, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
A slightly forward sound without veil but a nice natural soundstage would be, for me, the Beyer DT860 (driven from 120 ohm corda prehead) although I have no idea how it sounds unamped. Anyway, it's the closest thing I heard to a "best of grado and senn in one"

-Taurui

The Beyer DT860 may have all of the qualities you are looking for in a headphone but it sounds nothing like the Grado 225 nor does it sound anything like the Beyer DT880 either.Its overall presentation is more like the AKG 240s with the fidelity slightly better than the DT880.In other words,it is a high fidelity groovelizer.Can the DT860 ROCK? You bet your behind it can.It loves all other music as well.

Sep 3, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 11
I listen to a lot of classical music and symphonies and will eventually need to upgrade from these KSC-35's. I hear that soundstage is important for this type of music.

Anyone wanna give a rough run-down on how one can 'experince' soundstage? Does the headphone just make it seem that sound is coming from a direction, or do you close your eyes and imagine yourself in an auditorium, or something entirely different? I've actually only attended two live classical performances :\.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back