Headphones with the BEST imaging, detail, clairity, flat
Jun 29, 2015 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AdamTR

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

So im looking for this kind of headphone:

Best stereo-imaging (as if you were listening to actual montitor speakers), good amount of detail and clarity,and a flat frequency response as possible..

Which one would you guys recommened?

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 13
Damn they're ugly (but have heard good things about them too) it's a very old headphone though and somewhat hard to find, any other ''new headphones'' suggestions (except the HD800)? 

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #6 of 13
I feel like the HD800s are pretty unbeatable in terms of imaging and microdetail. Tubes tend to balance out the brightness a bit. You need to build a warm rig around it. I've heard lower serial numbers are also a little less hot in the treble. Mine is in the 7XXX range, and it's pretty good. I've tried others in the 20k or 30k range that were much brighter. The Anax mod can be helpful too.

In terms of clarity and overall flatness, I just tried the Mr. Speakers Ether last weekend, and my first impression was that it was the most neutral headphone I've heard. Incredibly flat and incredibly clear. I mean, you can see way, way down deep into the music. That might be one for you to look at.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks, the SRH1840 might be what I'm looking for but does it give you a ''speaker like'' experience and how does it compare with the K701/K702 in terms of detail/clarity?

The Ether looks great and sure sounds great (must be for $1600!!) but it's out of my budget sorry.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 13
  Thanks, the SRH1840 might be what I'm looking for but does it give you a ''speaker like'' experience and how does it compare with the K701/K702 in terms of detail/clarity?

The Ether looks great and sure sounds great (must be for $1600!!) but it's out of my budget sorry.

What's your budget?

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 13
  Well something in between $200 - $750 (best price/quality ratio are most preferable).

In that case, I'd pick up a b-stock HE560 from Razordog Audio for $659. It comes with a one year warranty, and their service is great. Plus you save $240, which really lets you climb up to another level in the headphone world. On the HE-560: Great imaging and clarity. You can see way down into the music. Very similar to the Ether (I tried them both back to back this weekend). It's similar to the HD800 in may ways too, but the treble is smoother and less peaky, and there is a little bit more bass impact and extension. Surprisingly great soundstage... it really projects out. I found it to be very neutral and uncolored overall. Nice leap of improvement on imaging from the last generation HiFiMans, and those were pretty darn good! Incredible level of articulation too. Punch and decay seemed very natural to me, and the edges of sound objects were quite distinct. I think that would be your best bet.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 13

In that case, I'd pick up a b-stock HE560 from Razordog Audio for $659. It comes with a one year warranty, and their service is great. Plus you save $240, which really lets you climb up to another level in the headphone world. On the HE-560: Great imaging and clarity. You can see way down into the music. Very similar to the Ether (I tried them both back to back this weekend). It's similar to the HD800 in may ways too, but the treble is smoother and less peaky, and there is a little bit more bass impact and extension. Surprisingly great soundstage... it really projects out. I found it to be very neutral and uncolored overall. Nice leap of improvement on imaging from the last generation HiFiMans, and those were pretty darn good! Incredible level of articulation too. Punch and decay seemed very natural to me, and the edges of sound objects were quite distinct. I think that would be your best bet.

Do you have any frequincy response of the HE560? And how does the soundstage compare to the HD800, bigger, smaller, same size?

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #12 of 13
Frequency response: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE5602014.pdf

The soundstage is a bit smaller than the HD800, but every headphone has a smaller soundstage relative to the HD800. So it's not a fair comparison. I'd say the HE-560 is among the very best headphones I've tried in the soundstage department. In the price range, the only thing that can compete is the AKG K701, which has more width and equal height, but less depth. However, the K701 is nowhere near as good overall. A used Beyer T1 will offer more depth and equal width, but less height. However, I believe the T1 is also FAR inferior to the HE-560 - the T1's treble is nowhere near neutral and harmonic distortion levels are much higher. So, I'd say the HE-560 is probably at or near the top spot for the "soundstage and imaging plus other relevant considerations" department in your price range.

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 13
I've used the AKG K-702 for years now and I can confirm they have lovely sense of space and ample detail.  Just a bit lean in the bass, as you
will have heard, but I can't imagine ever giving them up. I primarily listen to classical.  Anyway, you apparently already know about these.

Best with an amp, so that will be another cost if you don't have that already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back