Headphones with similar sound to the Senn HD201?
May 16, 2006 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Squibbles

100+ Head-Fier
I love the Senn HD201. What portable phones have similar sound? I just don't like the Senn HD201 looks and their not portable enough. They don't fold. Would the AKG K81 have sound like it? Or the AKG 27i? Any phones?

Thanks.

May 16, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squibbles
I love the Senn HD201. What portable phones have similar sound? I just don't like the Senn HD201 looks and their not portable enough. They don't fold. Would the AKG K81 have sound like it? Or the AKG 27i? Any phones?

Thanks.

Ive not heard the HD201s recently enough to say they for sure DONT sound like the 81s but from memory, they dont.
The AKGs are fantastic phones and if you find them more portable than the 201s, I doubt highly youll be disappointed. Theyve been called the best sub $100 closed portable phone and for good reason. I think youre 201s will become useless if you were to pick up some DJs.

May 16, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 22
The thing is, I hate hate hate excessive bass like on the PortaPro and Shure E2c. How do the AKG K81 DJs do in the bass department? The Senn HD201 have very moderate, controlled bass imo.

May 16, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

The thing is, I hate hate hate excessive bass like on the PortaPro and Shure E2c. How do the AKG K81 DJs do in the bass department? The Senn HD201 have very moderate, controlled bass imo.

Id pass on the AKGs then. They arent BAD bass wise but if you find the 201s as your acceptable level of bass, then youll find the AKGs sloppy.
I love my AKGs but their flaw is the bass is its weak spot. They are great thumping around (just enough) portable cans, but I wouldnt call them great with bass. Think more than a KSC-75 but less sloppy than a Portapro.

Thought of trying the PX100s? They are open but I think the bass response is certainly better than the Portapros. I still think the AKGs are far > but you might not go for its bass.

May 16, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 22
have you heard the Koss KSC75s?, I don't know if you can say they're similar to the HD201 as I haven't had time to play with my new KSC75s much, but they're very good, cheap too, perhaps slightly better than the HD201s if not for the HD201s being closed phones

May 16, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 22
I don't want clip on phones. Never been my thing. I'm sure the KSC75 are excellent and all, but just not my thing. There's got to be a sub $120 headphone that sounds like the HD201!

May 16, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

I don't want clip on phones. Never been my thing. I'm sure the KSC75 are excellent and all, but just not my thing. There's got to be a sub $120 headphone that sounds like the HD201!

There is, but it aint portable.
tongue.gif
Sorry, thats just the nature of the beast these days. Despite the proliferation of DAPs, the portable closed can with good SQ options arent plentiful. I think thats why people are throwing so much love at the AKGs. Not that they arent wonderful, but really, how many other options are there? (The HD-25-1) is the only one I can think of and its about double the price)

May 16, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 22
I don't understand why it's so hard. Sennheiser did it in $20 phones! How hard would it be to make a smaller, foldable version for less than $100! Ridiculous.

May 16, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

I don't understand why it's so hard. Sennheiser did it in $20 phones! How hard would it be to make a smaller, foldable version for less than $100! Ridiculous.

Ridiculous? Why? Senn is like the ONLY company to have nailed what you want so why are you surprised that going up the scale a bit doesnt open a world of options to you? I dont understand.
There are good phones that have good SQ (for the money) and are portable but they DONT sound like the 201s? Thats not a flaw, just how it is.
If you are set on the Senn 201 sound, figure out how to make them portable with a mod or two. Otherwise, accept that there is no ultra portable 201 and either try something a little different or write to Senn about their product line not suiting your needs.

May 16, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 22
OK. In your previous post you mentioned how good sound quality in portable cans is very small these days. I was just following up your own statement by stating Senn did it in el cheapo phones. It's hard for me to believe that going up the price ladder by $80 doesn't produce a similar phone in portable fashion from any manufacturer.

May 17, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

OK. In your previous post you mentioned how good sound quality in portable cans is very small these days. I was just following up your own statement by stating Senn did it in el cheapo phones. It's hard for me to believe that going up the price ladder by $80 doesn't produce a similar phone in portable fashion from any manufacturer.

The AKGs destroy the sound of the 201s IMO but they dont sound "the same". If the 201s are what floats your boat and you need to keep close to that sound sig to be happy, then why would you even think about any other manufacturer?
There ARE options out there but you eliminated quite a few by staying steadfast to the Senn 201 sound. As I suggested earlier, if Senn is what you like, look at the Senn line and find cans that you find portable enough. If you dont think those will work, make your beloved 201s portable yourself.
Ill agree the offerings are limited but you confound the problem by being limited yourself. If all you really want is a portable version of the 201 and it doesnt exist, let Senn know.

May 17, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Those are open which is a no go. I don't need to go super cheap. I'm willing to shell out ~ $100.

The AKGs are the best sub $100 portable closed phone out there IMO. However, they dont sound at all like the 201s, esp. in the bass department which you suggested is very important to you. If you are willing to try them, do so. Many of our sponsors have very customer friendly return policies.
As far as how close to the 201s they have to be for you to be satisfied, only you'll know. All I can offer is that I dont find the AKGs and 201s similar enough to meet your needs and that you may want to look towards the Senn lines to see what they have (the phone you may suit you may be something we've never even considered here at Head-fi)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back