Headphones with one-sided cable
Feb 7, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #31 of 45
Goldrings DR150
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #32 of 45
I hadn't seen the K701 (or most AKGs) mentioned in this thread.... so just throwing them out there too.

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangemusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hadn't seen the K701 (or most AKGs) mentioned in this thread.... so just throwing them out there too.

Post #6
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
me 2...especially because my source (laptop) is on my right, not left)

Yes, its only luck all my stuff plugs in on the left of my body. Some of the point of single-sided cable is lost if its travelling across your body.

Feb 9, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #35 of 45
As a point of interest, electrons move (in copper) at a rate of something like 1 meter per 11 minutes or something. Just thought I'd share
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there a reason Larry of Headphile changes DBs to double-sided cables?

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a point of interest, electrons move (in copper) at a rate of something like 1 meter per 11 minutes or something. Just thought I'd share
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah but theres |---------------------------------------------| this many electrons, so they dont have to move very fast.

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah right.

Here's a 2 meter long bare-ended copper wire for you to hold onto. Now I'm going to plug the other end into the wall outlet - hey, no worries mate, as long as you stop holding it within 20 minutes, you're safe.
3000smile.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHVentus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah right.

Here's a 2 meter long bare-ended copper wire for you to hold onto. Now I'm going to plug the other end into the wall outlet - hey, no worries mate, as long as you stop holding it within 20 minutes, you're safe.
3000smile.gif

He's right though, the actual electrons move down the wire slow as molasses

Feb 9, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilldermood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG headphones have one sided cords. No time delay, electrons move at the speed 'o light.

Incorrect. Electrons do not move at the speed of light.

In fact, they move at speeds on the order of millimeters per second. It's the energy that "moves" (actually, transferred) fast through a wire. But even that doesn't travel at the speed of light. It varies with the material of the wire.

Think of it like this:

- A tube filled with goo.
- You push on the goo from one end.
- Goo from the other end comes out almost immediately.
- But has the goo particles you pushed on the first end moved to the other end in that time?

Feb 9, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #41 of 45
As someone already mentioned, in the AKGs the steal headband itself is the wire to the right channel. It's a big solid core, so it suffers from the skin effect at the higher frequencies. At 20kHz the band itself may add up to 20 ohms (or more) to the right channel. So if you're recabling the K701s to balanced, a standard Y-shaped cable would be better.

Feb 12, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #42 of 45
So I've now recabled my Grado Sr225s to one-sided; and they sound just the same. Smashing
wink.gif

In fact, I've put stereo sockets in the bottom of both earcups and wired so that I can plug in the cable to either cup and have stereo sound! They're definitely more comfortable now, that chunky Y-piece could really annoy me.

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone already mentioned, in the AKGs the steal headband itself is the wire to the right channel. It's a big solid core, so it suffers from the skin effect at the higher frequencies. At 20kHz the band itself may add up to 20 ohms (or more) to the right channel. So if you're recabling the K701s to balanced, a standard Y-shaped cable would be better.

I once reported about the K701 phones utilizing the steel headband to conduct the signal to the RH earpiece.

Skin effect in electrical conduction is not significant at Audio Frequencies - it is a Radio Frequency phenomenon.

In the real world using the steel over such a short distance is of no significance other than being a 'fashion over function' abuse of the purists approach to electronics.

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once reported about the K701 phones utilizing the steel headband to conduct the signal to the RH earpiece.

Skin effect in electrical conduction is not significant at Audio Frequencies - it is a Radio Frequency phenomenon.

In the real world using the steel over such a short distance is of no significance other than being a 'fashion over function' abuse of the purists approach to electronics.

that's not what the measurements say... at 20kHz the effect is already quite significant...

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #45 of 45
which measurements and by whom ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back