Headphones with one-sided cable
Feb 7, 2007 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

onocentaur

100+ Head-Fier
Seems like a good idea for a number of reasons: comfort, less tangling, etc. There seem to be couple of headphones out there with cable going to only one side: Senn HD595s for example. It would be possible to convert a pair of double-wired headphones to single-wired by recabling them with a lead passing over the head (with the band) as with some of the Grados in this Headwize article. But would the extra length of wire going to one channel affect the sound? I'm guessing that technically there would be a time delay, but it'd be too small to be differentiable. Or am I wrong?
confused.gif
Perhaps the Senns have an equal length of cable 'hidden' going to the wired channel so that it balances the non-wired side?
Can anyone offer any insights?
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 45
AKG headphones have one sided cords. No time delay, electrons move at the speed 'o light.

Feb 7, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 45
Floats and Ergos have one sided (rear left side) cable entry. But do not compensate for the headband cabling by coiling cable for the left channel. I doubt it makes a bit of difference, if it did, then theyd put in the extra 6 inches and charge you another pound.

Feb 7, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilldermood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No time delay, electrons move at the speed 'o light.

That was my first instinct but I think it's a little more complicated than that. I googled it and there's some quite obtuse explanations on the speed of current flow out there...

I didn't really expect one-sided headphones to have the extra cable hidden, but I thought I would check. This is good, as it means i can make my Grados one sided without worrying about delay
eggosmile.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 45
I think the problem with some one sided cable headphones is not the delay, but rather the quality of the cable connecting the right and left drivers
Probably not in the AKGs though, since they appearantly use magical flat wire that fits under the headband
Eg in beyers this left-right cable is much thinner (and probably worse quality) than the 'main' cable. Can be addressed by darthing your beyers
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the problem with some one sided cable headphones is not the delay, but rather the quality of the cable connecting the right and left drivers
Probably not in the AKGs though, since they appearantly use magical flat wire that fits under the headband
Eg in beyers this left-right cable is much thinner (and probably worse quality) than the 'main' cable. Can be addressed by darthing your beyers
wink.gif

AKG uses the metal headband rods themselves as the connecting "cable."

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 45
hmm i read somewhere on head-fi about phase changes or something when the headphones are wired only on one side.

I know nothing about electronics, can someone explain this to me?

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 45
All my current listenening headphones are 1-sided, that being the DT880 and the A900. I don't like it much to be honest. I'd rather just have them the normal Y shape. I'm going to get my DT880s recabled in a few months (already spoke to Larry about it), so that'll be one headphone back to normal.

Feb 7, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going to shorten the Grado cable and use what I cut off...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back