Headphones with no budget, used for laptop, smartphone, general travelling use
Jul 15, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #16 of 25
  Folding isn't a requirement if they come with a headphone case then that's fine, I've purchased a bag big enough to hold headphones that don't fold, the seal around the ears isn't a problem either as the leakage from there isn't massive and not noticeable I think, I'm not going to be one of those annoying little pricks sat on a bus with death music at max volume., I like my ear drums.  

Read up on the Beyerdynamic T70P, and the T5P if that one still fits within your budget, see if the feedback so far sounds like what you want.

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #19 of 25
  Hi, I had a look at those and although they look nice but I think one of them is open back and they also have pleather which I can't have.

Not sure where you got the idea for that...

Velours from the T1 should fit on these

The T70Ps however aren't pleather but not sure on the quality and reading some reviews the ear cups aren't that big and my ears are fairly dumbo like. 

Well in any case, scratch the T70P off your list, it's the same size as the DTxx0. The T5P is larger I think, same size as the T1 (and you can use the T1's velour pads on it), but of course I can't be sure if your earlobes will fit in there. Your safest bet is likely the HD380 with HD598 or HD600 earpads (but of course check if they fit with no modifications).

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #20 of 25

Not sure where you got the idea for that...

Well in any case, scratch the T70P off your list, it's the same size as the DTxx0. The T5P is larger I think, same size as the T1 (and you can use the T1's velour pads on it), but of course I can't be sure if your earlobes will fit in there. Your safest bet is likely the HD380 with HD598 or HD600 earpads (but of course check if they fit with no modifications).

I swear I Googled them and it said T5P open back headphones... I must be going mad! What are the T5Ps like for bass? People are saying "lacks ample bass" :S considering the price are they worth it? After looking through the forums a few people have said they're a bit pricey for what they are.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #21 of 25
  I swear I Googled them and it said T5P open back headphones... I must be going mad! What are the T5Ps like for bass? People are saying "lacks ample bass" :S considering the price are they worth it? After looking through the forums a few people have said they're a bit pricey for what they are.

That depends on what you're looking for as far as the sound is concerned. The T1 is a fairly neutral headphone, and if I was going to say it's not worth the money, it's because the treble reminds me of cheap mylar dome tweeters on a lot of amps. It wasn't that bad on my Cantate.2, but the claims for its efficiency seem to be less true with that amp since the dynamics are compressed (ie 600ohms seems stiff for that amp). Others seem to have better luck using tube amps that deliver a lot of power into high impedance loads.

The T5P is basically a 32ohm closed version of the T1 so there's going to be a little bit more bass, but again not a lot since Beyer put dampening material in the earcups to mimic how soundwaves react in an open headphone. A lot of people like it better than the T1 actually (likely because their amps might be making too little power at too high THD at 600ohms, despite the efficiency).

Very generally though a lot of people say that "not worth it bit" about premium closed headphones, but at least with the T5P it's not spent on Ethiopian lambskin leather and alloy earcups, which is a "love it or think it's ridiculous" thing in the Ultrasone Edition8. By the way you might want to look up that one too, but note that those earcups will need a lot of care. Like, interior of a Crumpler or Tenba bag kind of care - put it in a Tamrac or cheap Lowepro and those velcro strips will scratch it.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #22 of 25
Well the main use will be for music and occasionally movies for when I travel, I like R&B, Rock, Pop, Jazz, Plenty of saxophone music I'm an 80s kid so I like all the hits during that time. I'm not sure what exactly I'd prefer I don't live near anywhere which only does headsets so I can't just walk in and try a pair. Quality is all I'm really after but I don't know how to describe exactly what I want. I've read reviews of so many headsets and they all have their cons and so I don't want to purchase something which isn't suitable for my purpose I understand now that I'll need low sensing like 102-104db because I'll be using them with my phone but then I don't know if I should get an amp and whether or not this requires a different power source :S 

I heard that the T5P require several hours of "working in" or something like that a review said they had to play "white noise" for `100 hours...

I think I would keep the headsets in the case that comes with it, for the price I think I would be VERY careful with them

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #23 of 25
Definitely look into Ultrasone Edition 8 and Ultrasone Signature Pro. I'm sure you can find them used around the price range you listed. They are by far the best sealed headphones in my opinion for portable/office use. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #24 of 25
  Definitely look into Ultrasone Edition 8 and Ultrasone Signature Pro. I'm sure you can find them used around the price range you listed. They are by far the best sealed headphones in my opinion for portable/office use. 

I think for something that expensive I wouldn't want to take them out the house and there's no way I'm going second hand haha

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #25 of 25
Hello!

So I've tested out the Sennheiser Momentums and I can say they are very uncomfortable after a few hours and because of how much my ears stick out they aren't deep enough and over time this causes pain. I've ruled out the Urbanite XLs. I have been looking at the T5Ps what are your thoughts on those guys?

I'd be worried about damaging the Ultras through airports. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back