Headphones with no budget, used for laptop, smartphone, general travelling use
Jul 14, 2015 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

OppoFind7

New Head-Fier
Hi,

So I've tried reading through several posts and some of the terminology used is unfamiliar to me, I basically want a headset which will give me the best sound quality from a smartphone and laptop (if an amp is required I'm willing to purchase one) I don't have a budget I just want the best I can get for what I'll be using them for. Closed headphones are preferred as I'll be using them for travelling so I don't want any leakage. I tend to listen to R&B, Pop, Jazz, Rock, and Some but little dance music. I will also like to use them for watching movies.

I currently have Sennheiser 363Ds for my PC and I like the feel of them and the material, not to keen on leather/pleather headsets.

Any comments or recommendations please I am at the mercy of audiophiles.

Thank you 

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 25
You might find this list of wall of fame headphones useful over at Innerfidelity. Each description also leads to a full review.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 25
If you are looking for portable but no leakage IEM headphones are great, if you don't mind shoving something in your ear.  Shure SE846s ($999 on Amazon) with an E12 Monte Blanc by FIIO ($120 nearly everywhere) is pretty darn hard to beat.  If you want on ear, "Fun but highly accurate closed headphones" Mr. Speakers is having a sale on Alpha electrostatic 3d printed headphones that are made here in the US.  I own a pair and with the ability to adjust the bass but also having amazing closed back privacy without compromising the stage and depth of music is something Dan at Mr.Speakers.com excels at.  

I recently had the same issue you had and I settled on a set of solutions.  For portability, I roll with SE846s by Shure with my portable E12 and play off my X5 ii by FIIO to get the full monty of the FLACs I have (has an Equalizer and gain setting on both that really make any headset shine under 3k).  

I also have ran my primary setup of Alpha Primes/Audeze LCD3's (highly recommended as my go to) off a Lyr 2 made by SCHIIT.  I can tell you that if you put a good source through this to this set up you might well up with tears the first time.  Just don't cheap out on cables.  If you email Dan at Mr.Speakers.com he will guide you through not making that mistake and not take your entire wallet.

Hope all goes well.
WCHifi

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 25
From looking at that list and from what I've researched I think I've narrowed it down to 4. Sennheiser HD700, Oppo PM-3, NAD VISO HP50, Sennheiser 6.. Something (the wireless ones), and possibly the momentum 2.0 or wireless though I don't like the idea of the pleather. Any thoughts?

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 25
So, I take it you are looking for something bright, neutral in color and not really wanting a flagship level commitment (LCD3, HD800, HE6, etc.). The 700 is a nice all around headphone but it is electrostatic so you will end up needing an equalizer to bring down the brightness and influence the color.  I again, suggest a tube amp, because I'm partial to them.  If you do, there are plenty under 200 that will both tone the headphones and bring a style to the 700's which are already a light, nice and aggressive looking headphone.  I'm a fan of the momentum for the price but not for performance.  They do ok, again, for the price.  It doesn't suit my taste - but if that is what you like then consider staying away from "wireless"...so much signal attenuation that you end up with a bluetooth fuzz and something short of magical.  I like magical in my headsets...Given the ones you suggested are in a lower tier of cost - what is the budget we are dealing with?

WCHIFI

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 25

Hi,

So I've tried reading through several posts and some of the terminology used is unfamiliar to me, I basically want a headset which will give me the best sound quality from a smartphone and laptop (if an amp is required I'm willing to purchase one) I don't have a budget I just want the best I can get for what I'll be using them for. Closed headphones are preferred as I'll be using them for travelling so I don't want any leakage. I tend to listen to R&B, Pop, Jazz, Rock, and Some but little dance music. I will also like to use them for watching movies.

From looking at that list and from what I've researched I think I've narrowed it down to 4. Sennheiser HD700, Oppo PM-3, NAD VISO HP50, Sennheiser 6.. Something (the wireless ones), and possibly the momentum 2.0 or wireless though I don't like the idea of the pleather. Any thoughts?

The HD700 contradicts your requirements. It's an open headphone with a lot of leakage and with an impedance spike that needs an amp to properly deal with. Also, the earpieces are HUGE and they do not fold flat, so travelling with these means having a dedicated case. Unlike for example the AKG K553 with only slightly smaller earpieces, it at least folds flat, so if you have a relatively large laptop and a proper bag for it, you can just cram it inside a 17in laptop sleeve, or any separate (and maybe padded) compartment inside your bag that isn't occupied by the laptop.

You can see the dust cover on the rear end of the driver.

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 25
  So I've tried reading through several posts and some of the terminology used is unfamiliar to me, I basically want a headset which will give me the best sound quality from a smartphone and laptop (if an amp is required I'm willing to purchase one) I don't have a budget I just want the best I can get for what I'll be using them for. Closed headphones are preferred as I'll be using them for traveling so I don't want any leakage. I tend to listen to R&B, Pop, Jazz, Rock, and Some but little dance music. I will also like to use them for watching movies.
I currently have Sennheiser 363Ds for my PC and I like the feel of them and the material, not to keen on leather/pleather headsets.
Any comments or recommendations please I am at the mercy of audiophiles.

It would be helpful to list at least some kind of a a budget.
Like $100 or $250 or $500 or $1000, etc.

What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 25
Well oppofind You should find an oppo pm3 and be done with it(I'll be here all week). But yeah with the money saved on your no budget parameters you can get a very good portable rig to go with it. If you don't like pleather and want velour for a portable then that's a bit of a tougher task because you'd have to get separate pads for something I think Shure velour pads fit the Sony mdr 7520 so You could go that route or you can get a beyerdynamic dt770 but it's not all that portable and sound meh but good isolation and soundstage for movies. Or just get a Shure 1540 with the sexy alcantara pads and godly comfort

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 25
  So, I take it you are looking for something bright, neutral in color and not really wanting a flagship level commitment (LCD3, HD800, HE6, etc.). The 700 is a nice all around headphone but it is electrostatic so you will end up needing an equalizer to bring down the brightness and influence the color.  I again, suggest a tube amp, because I'm partial to them.  If you do, there are plenty under 200 that will both tone the headphones and bring a style to the 700's which are already a light, nice and aggressive looking headphone.  I'm a fan of the momentum for the price but not for performance.  They do ok, again, for the price.  It doesn't suit my taste - but if that is what you like then consider staying away from "wireless"...so much signal attenuation that you end up with a bluetooth fuzz and something short of magical.  I like magical in my headsets...Given the ones you suggested are in a lower tier of cost - what is the budget we are dealing with?

WCHIFI

Thanks for the information, I was looking for a headset without any leakage and I thought the HD700s only had a little leakage but as you can see from above ProtegeManiac has informed me that HD700s are in fact open and so are no use to me. Thank you though.

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #10 of 25

It would be helpful to list at least some kind of a a budget.
Like $100 or $250 or $500 or $1000, etc.

What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?

I suppose if I had to put a figure on it below £650

I will be using them for my laptop and phone, so if an amp is required then I will look to purchase one

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #11 of 25
I think I've underestimated how much there is to headphones, I've been reading through posts and can honestly say I'm stumped I really have no idea what sort of direction to go in for headphones. The only thing I can say for certain is that they must not have pleather as I hate the way my screen can't breath with that kind of material, I want something which I can plug into my laptop or phone and just listen to anything but have some really good quality, I'll consider an amp as I know to get the best from some headphones it's required. I do like the look of the HD700s but I don't want to disturb anyone else like during a long haul flight or have to turn up the music to block out people talking at the airport, I may use them at work too so I obviously can't have music leaking so much that everyone around me can hear (granted there is a considerable space between us)  each post I look at there are always questions about my taste, I've never owned a "decent" pair of headphones the best I've had is the 363Ds and my IEM CX175.

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #12 of 25
  I suppose if I had to put a figure on it below £650

I will be using them for my laptop and phone, so if an amp is required then I will look to purchase one

Focal Spirit Pro - it folds but more like a ball than flat. Still easier to lug around in a back pack and some messenger bags than one that won't fold in any way. Neutral sound. Finished in rough plastic, not pretty but looks like it would resist scratches or at least they won't be visible compared to headphones with a smooth or glossy finish.

AKG K553 - folds flat, can easily slip into a messenger bag, bit might necessarily be as easy to fit into some backpacks. I've only listened to the K550 and K551 though.

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #13 of 25
Hi,

Thanks, I checked those out but they don't look very appealing and considering the price I'd say their sound quality may not be that great? The other downside is the pleather, sadly I really can't have that material against my skin I sweat so much. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 25
  Hi,

Thanks, I checked those out but they don't look very appealing and considering the price I'd say their sound quality may not be that great? The other downside is the pleather, sadly I really can't have that material against my skin I sweat so much. 

Most of the ones that are easy to power and use velour earpads don't fold - like the Beyerdynamic T70P and T5P.

You could probably fit the AKG K702 earpads on the K553 (check in the K550 thread, but I seem to remember that someone tried it), but note that the price on those is kinda steep (around $70+ for a pair; used to be $45 each), and I have no idea what they will sound like. Atlernately you can also do the same with the Sennheiser HD380Pro and mount HD598 earpads on it, or 3rd party HD600 earpads from eBay sellers, but again, not sure what the sound will be like.

For on-ears, there's the Aiaiai TMA-2, which is customizable when you order, and aside from leather you can opt for foam or velour. I'm not too positive about the isolation though.

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #15 of 25
Folding isn't a requirement if they come with a headphone case then that's fine, I've purchased a bag big enough to hold headphones that don't fold, the seal around the ears isn't a problem either as the leakage from there isn't massive and not noticeable I think, I'm not going to be one of those annoying little pricks sat on a bus with death music at max volume., I like my ear drums.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back