Headphones with most real voice reproduction
Aug 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

xdog

Head-Fier
Which headphones give most real (exact) voice reproduction?
And I mean here on a good/standard equipment (like for instance Xonar STX) not passed through some magical tube amplifier which 'rounds the unrouded'

Technically, there is something like voice distant feeling factor, for instance
- grados sr60 feel like sombody would sing right into my ear, which is by no means not realistic (too much color in the voice)
- Hifiman he-500 make the voice like song from a little bit far away, but that is acceptable level

The headphones, which I found to be most near is
- some hypothetical thing between Sennheisers 540 (too much lets call it microdetail in the voice) 560 (mine feel like they have upper mids/lower highs emphesis, but that may be from used pad) and HD600 (probably the nearest)
- Bayerdynamic DT150 but the voice is sometimes a bit massless (lacks in bass/mids section)

Some headphones which don't seem to do that much good job is:
- HD800, too big area of vocals with some mass, little bit of grayness, siblance
- K701 some little midbass hump, + some exageration in strenght/color (especially femal)
- HE-500/LCD2 - the details of voice are not sufficiently pronounced (like spit, ssss, mouth sounds) and too much mass

I would guess that sr009 would be the anwser; but maybe some other propositions will follow

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 16
Listen to a sine sweep that does 100 Hz to 4 kHz, and the treble if you want your ssses straight. Any peaks or dips you smooth out with EQ until you hear none but flat. You then have the realest real voice reproduction.

Works better when there are few peaks or dips to start with - the HD series should be ok, but I'd look at some vintage planars like the Yama HP-1 for the price of a HD 540.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 16
  The Grado PS1000 are amazing with both instruments real sound reproduction and Voices(Vocal).

+1, I love PS1000. Haven't try PS1000e but I am sure I will love it. :)

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 16
  Which headphones give most real (exact) voice reproduction?
And I mean here on a good/standard equipment (like for instance Xonar STX) not passed through some magical tube amplifier which 'rounds the unrouded'

Technically, there is something like voice distant feeling factor, for instance
- grados sr60 feel like sombody would sing right into my ear, which is by no means not realistic (too much color in the voice)
- Hifiman he-500 make the voice like song from a little bit far away, but that is acceptable level

The headphones, which I found to be most near is
- some hypothetical thing between Sennheisers 540 (too much lets call it microdetail in the voice) 560 (mine feel like they have upper mids/lower highs emphesis, but that may be from used pad) and HD600 (probably the nearest)
- Bayerdynamic DT150 but the voice is sometimes a bit massless (lacks in bass/mids section)

Some headphones which don't seem to do that much good job is:
- HD800, too big area of vocals with some mass, little bit of grayness, siblance
- K701 some little midbass hump, + some exageration in strenght/color (especially femal)
- HE-500/LCD2 - the details of voice are not sufficiently pronounced (like spit, ssss, mouth sounds) and too much mass

I would guess that sr009 would be the anwser; but maybe some other propositions will follow

Why haven't you tried HD600, HD558, or SRH840?  One of those should make you happy, I think, or at least give you a better idea of what direction to follow.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 16
You might want to take a look at the HE-560. The next best choice would be the HD-800 with a phonitor (mid-treble transitions are just a bit rough, vocals sound a bit stretched out, but imaging and timbre are top-notch) or whatever tube amp HD-800 owners are in the hots for. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 16
Hd600 do the most realistic voice for me, they have just brilliant tone and the perfect amount of weight. Hd800 also impressed me hugely - I loved the imaging of the voices.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 16
Have you tried fostex t50rp? For me it's one of the most beautiful vocal in my headphone collection.
AT Ad2000 is also very beautiful but more colored.
Hd800 is very natural but you have to amp them with matching amp like Vali.
Lcd 2.1 vocal is a bit too far for me.
Lcd 3f is very nice, but i dont have it.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 16
With paper drivers?  I am very doubtful.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 16

The R10 has biocellulose drivers, not paper.

A synonym for "modified wood pulp".  Calling them "paper" would be very bad for marketing.  The food industry has the same attitude, you know?

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 16
Aug 28, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 16
Touché.  =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back