Headphones with most isolation
Aug 22, 2014 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Xanatos

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a list of headphones that provide the most isolation.

Two that I know of:
HD280  32db
DT770M 35db

Are there any others that do better or close to it?

Also, would switching out the velour earpads to the pleathers ones on my dt770-80 provide the same isolation?

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 3
Neither of those headphones isolates anywhere near 35 dB of general sound.  Extremely high frequencies, maybe.  The DT770M isn't going to isolate significantly than the non-M version, maybe around 20% more.  You should get the same isolation with similar leather pads.

Anyways, the best isolating full-sized headphones would be the Bose QC15/QC20.  That's the only headphone that really gets into IEM-level isolation.  The best-isolating audiophile-grade headphone is possibly the Alpha Dog, or at least that is the most isolating headphone I have heard without ANC.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Koss pro4 series depending on Revision.

H40dB modH~50dB

M30dB modM~35dB

L15dB modL~25dB

The two chamber design on the pro4 Koss stereophones block out very well the noise in both ways. The vacuum oriented seal provide the needed Isolation, but the older oil filled ear cushions should isolate better.

Changing manufacturing processes and some quality issues are the only downside of the pro4 series.

Koss should advertise with objective facts and hold up the quality with their better products within an acceptable price (120-150$). The pro4 driver is a good monitor driver with very low distortion characteristics and good resolution (30% below a 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT Driver) in the 200$ dynamic category. Designed for beat and precision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back