Headphones with good bass
Dec 29, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #16 of 31
Surprised no one mentioned Denon AH-D2000 yet.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #19 of 31
D2000s have the most bass presence and impact under $200 in my experience, although i haven't tried the Sony models

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #22 of 31
Denon AH-D1100, $107 at Electronics Expo, need to use the coupon code "BOUNTII".
Normal price for the D1100 is around $150.

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #25 of 31
I dunno, I disliked the D1100 a lot & sold after 1½ or so weeks, it's definitely not for every1.

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #26 of 31
They weren't a favorite of mine either, but I thought they had an excellent bass response. I just didn't like the mids and highs. Kind of like a looser, but more articulate choice than the XB series for a basshead. The M50s are probably a safer choice, though. 

Quote:
I dunno, I disliked the D1100 a lot & sold after 1½ or so weeks, it's definitely not for every1.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
They weren't a favorite of mine either, but I thought they had an excellent bass response. I just didn't like the mids and highs. Kind of like a looser, but more articulate choice than the XB series for a basshead. The M50s are probably a safer choice, though. 

Well the list was quite long for me with things I disliked about it:

- Very non-musical / artificial sounding
- Subbass presence was lacking compared to the huge midbass slam (too tight fast decay bass for my liking as I prefer quite even subbass vs mid/upper bass presence)
- Mids way too recessed
- Highs very uneven / spikey, maybe slight lack of resolution/grainy, some parts recessed, others exaggerated causing either slight lack of presence of highs or slight amount of sibilance in other songs
- Soundstage was very "distant" sounding, everything sounded like coming from a distance, like sitting further back in the audience of a concert and therefore it wasn't a very engaging experience
- Only somewhat liked listening to classical/orchestra music with it due to the artificial sounding soundstage, sounded very wrong with pop to other vocal based music, music like this sounded cold, not engaging you with any feelings

It's like one of those headphones that tries to impress with a technical good standpoint such as large soundstage and excellent instrument separation big bass impact but fast decay so it's not too bloated despite giving a big "punch" feeling and reasonably clear sounding but forgets about the most relevant things, to immerse and engage you with the music, it's like listening to a singer that can sing beautifully but doesn't connect with the audience. If the singer can connect with the audience, show emotions etc it won't matter as much if it loses out on technical aspects, that's how I look at it.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
Well the list was quite long for me with things I disliked about it:

- Very non-musical / artificial sounding
- Subbass presence was lacking compared to the huge midbass slam (too tight fast decay bass for my liking as I prefer quite even subbass vs mid/upper bass presence)
- Mids way too recessed
- Highs very uneven / spikey, maybe slight lack of resolution/grainy, some parts recessed, others exaggerated causing either slight lack of presence of highs or slight amount of sibilance in other songs
- Soundstage was very "distant" sounding, everything sounded like coming from a distance, like sitting further back in the audience of a concert and therefore it wasn't a very engaging experience
- Only somewhat liked listening to classical/orchestra music with it due to the artificial sounding soundstage, sounded very wrong with pop to other vocal based music, music like this sounded cold, not engaging you with any feelings

It's like one of those headphones that tries to impress with a technical good standpoint such as large soundstage and excellent instrument separation big bass impact but fast decay so it's not too bloated despite giving a big "punch" feeling and reasonably clear sounding but forgets about the most relevant things, to immerse and engage you with the music, it's like listening to a singer that can sing beautifully but doesn't connect with the audience. If the singer can connect with the audience, show emotions etc it won't matter as much if it loses out on technical aspects, that's how I look at it.

This is for the M50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back