Headphones with good bass
Dec 28, 2011 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

bass asian

New Head-Fier
Hey guys im new to this forum and was looking for new over the ear headphones. I listen to mostly rap and hip hop and sometimes some metal. So im looking for mostly headphones with good bass. Could any of you help me with my desicion? 
Thanks

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 31
If all you want is bass, look at the Sony MDR-XB500 and MDR-XB700. 

For twice the price of the XB500, and slightly more refined sound that still has a lot of bass, there is the M-Audio Q40.

Another choice is the Creative Aurvana Live!, which is bass prominent, rather than bass overwhelming.  A little faster responding, but still with a warm overall tone. 

I'm not a basshead at all though, quite the contrary, and those guys will show up in here presently to give you more choices or more information regarding the ones I've mentioned.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 31
I would greatly advise against the Beats Solo HD, as those headphones have the weakest build quality I have ever seen in a headphone.  I hear stories about people breaking them all the time.  That, and they have no midrange really, just bass.

Sennheisers are not good for bass quantity at all, same with AKG.  I realized that after being bored with my HD280 due to its low amount of bass, even tack modded.

If you can stand them not being easily portable, the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80 is an excellent basshead headphone.  It has lots of bass impact and quantity, but doesn't overpower the mids so much, so they are still good for other genres like metal.  Later on, you can upgrade to leather pads from beyerdynamic if you want even more bass, like I did.  They sell for $150-$200.  I got mine used for $100, but I had to fix it up a bit.

If you don't want a bass monster, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is a great alternative.  It has a very good low end, with impact and quantity, but doesn't overshadow the midrange.  This makes it versatile for anything.  They are also built extremely well.  They sell for like $150.  Try to find the straight cable version, the ATH-M50S, if you can, but the coiled cable isn't really a problem.  Nothing like the freakish HD280 coiled cable.

Other alternatives such as the M-Audio Q40, XB series and whatnot exist.  But I own the DT770 Pro-80, and have borrowed an ATH-M50 for over a week, so I know what I'm talking about with these headphones.

TL, DR:

Crazy Bass - DT770 Pro-80

Good Bass - ATH-M50

No Sennheisers, AKG or Beats Solo.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 31
try beats solo hd

Lolno.

*Disclaimer* I haven't tried these, but the Sony XB1000 should satisfy your bass needs. You could also take a gander at the Audio Technica Pro700MKII.

For stuff I can legitimately speak for, the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (the pro is important, since the premium is less potent) is a nice bassyhead headphone. I can only imagine what they sound like with gel pads.

If you're getting the XB500, I'd recommend you learn how to EQ, since I tried listening to metal (Pavor to be specific) and it faired miserably. I didn't feel that the Aurvanas were bassy enough for a basshead.

Oh, and the Klipsch Image One is kind of the same case as the XB500 but with less weird mids.

If you don't mind putting something in your ears, the XePort 5010 with black ports is bass heaven for under $20.

And Senns aren't all bassless. The HD650 was a treat with a decent amp. the HD280 is probably one of their worst headphones though. :wink: And you simply must try the AKG K181 in Club mode. They're within the OP's budget too. $100 off of Amazon!

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #9 of 31
You could also take a gander at the Audio Technica Pro700MKII.

I'd advise against this. I own them and I think they kind of suck. They're seriously uncomfortable unless you swap out for M50 pads, and then, they have really blare-y, bloated bass. :/

If you're getting the XB500, I'd recommend you learn how to EQ, since I tried listening to metal (Pavor to be specific) and it failed miserably.

This is my first long-time headphone, and I can seriously recommend buying the XB500, IF you know how to use an equalizer. If you don't, they suck, but if you know what you're doing, you can change the sound signature drastically to suit nearly any type of music, with enough time. The bass is much too slow and sluggish to play metal, however, so steer clear if that's your main genre.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 31
Any of the Sony XB series will give you lots of bass, but if you want something more portable, try the AKG K518LE, small light and portable with tons of bass. 

Actually the Audio technica Pro700 wasn't that bad either but you need to pay more for it.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #11 of 31
Any of the Sony XB series will give you lots of bass, but if you want something more portable, try the AKG K518LE, small light and portable with tons of bass. 

Actually the Audio technica Pro700 wasn't that bad either but you need to pay more for it.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #12 of 31
I was taking a look at the ath m50 and everybodies review was they are really good. So those may be an option. And no to the beats. I dont wanna pay100 bucks more for a b on my headphones. And to the sony xb series i heard they have great bass but. I dont like the looks at all.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #13 of 31

Quote:
try beats solo hd

very sorry - but I laughed at this one.

XB500's for very cheap affordable headphones.
Xb700's for less tight bass, but only to be used indoors
Xb1000's no idea on them YET, but again indoors ONLY LOOL

I might just get the xb1k's walk around in paris for the hell of it - see how many looks i get HAHA

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 31

Quote:
I might just get the xb1k's walk around in paris for the hell of it - see how many looks i get HAHA

You'll get mugged,lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back