Headphones with forward vocals and decent sub-bass
Apr 30, 2018 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

marcusdb

New Head-Fier
Hi there, I am looking to get a decent pair of headphones for at home use with my PC and mini hifi system. The type of sound I am looking for is where male and female vocals are presented in front of the music so that they are the focus, without being too up front so the vocalist is shouting. Basically the music should be the background. I would also like a decent amount of sub-bass without overpowering the vocals. Apart from that, I don't really like "dark" IEMs and so I think the same would apply to headphones.

My budget is up to about $850. I would rather not have to buy a separate amp, but if I have to get one so be it. I am currently living in the middle of nowhere and so cannot demo. Therefore, any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.

Apr 30, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 2
Panasonic HD10.
Sub bass is a touch on the weaker side, but it goes all the way down unlike a lot of closed-back dynamics.
Mids/Vocals are very forward, to the point where it can be too much depending on the recording.
Also they take EQ superbly. Very underrated headphones, especially after correction.

If you can find one in budget, (2nd hand?) you might want to push out a bit further and get the Technics EAH-T700.
Similar overall presentation to HD10, but more 'air'.

I find that generally forward mids/vocals with extended sub-bass is quite uncommon.
Most higher end headphones these days are pushing towards a 'warm' sound signature, but these two do stand out from the crowd for being different in the way I think you might like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back