Headphones with deep bass, but clear mids and highs?
Dec 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

ShibeSuchBass

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking for maybe a week or two and this is driving me crazy. I desperately want a pair of headphones with awesome,deep bass, but clarity and no muffled sound in the mids and highs, just overall clarity and no muffled sound. I already tried the Sony MDR ZX300 and they were terrible, they had almost no bass, they hurt my ears badly, and the worst of all, they sounded horribly muffled like they had a dark veil over the sound, i hate that sound so much there is no way i could keep them, my Apple Earpods are literally much better in my opinion. 
So i want to see what you guys recommend i get for deep bass and great clarity among the entire sound spectrum, i am a basshead so deep, hard bass is a must, but clarity and no muffled sound/feeling is also just as important to me. I am going to get the Sony MDR X10's and hopefully they fulfill my needs, if i really hate them or not worth $100, ill return them, but then i dont know what else there is to get after that so i come here for help on that. I can only spend around $100, but i can spend a little more (~$150 tops) if thats the price range i have to be in to get such headphones i described.

So any help, recommendations, and feedback is very greatly appreciated. Im new here and an entry audiophile, long time basshead. Thanks!

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 37
You should try Yamaha EPH-100!

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 37
@OP, you should post your request in the basshead thread. they are very knowledgeable about cheaper basshead worthy headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club/8430

For really solid basshead headphones w/ clarity, there is always the V-Moda M100 vs. Ultrasone Pro 900, but those are clearly outta your price range at $300+

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 37
  @OP, you should post your request in the basshead thread. they are very knowledgeable about cheaper basshead worthy headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club/8430

For really solid basshead headphones w/ clarity, there is always the V-Moda M100 vs. Ultrasone Pro 900, but those are clearly outta your price range at $300+

I had no idea there was a basshead section, thanks. Ive heard a lot about the M100's and V Moda on HeadFi, but theyre out of my budget right now :frowning2:

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 37
I think it is quite hard to find what you are looking for at 150. Closed headphones with good amount of sub bass tend to have recessed or unnatural mids. My Fidelio L1 have really good bass extension, but it is quite dark sounding. Maybe planars fit your requeriments pretty well, but don't go down 300 dollars. That was what I thought when I suggested EPH-100, which are really warm with full sub bass, and still detailed highs and real sounding voices.

If you are strictly after full size cans, maybe you should read about Takstar HD6000.

Best Luck!

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 37
  I think it is quite hard to find what you are looking for at 150. Closed headphones with good amount of sub bass tend to have recessed or unnatural mids. My Fidelio L1 have really good bass extension, but it is quite dark sounding. Maybe planars fit your requeriments pretty well, but don't go down 300 dollars. That was what I was thinking when I suggest EPH-100, which are really warm with full sub bass, and still detailed highs and real sounding voices.

If you are strictly after full size cans, maybe you should read about Takstar HD6000.

Best Luck!

I dont really want full size headphones, i just assume you will get better audio from full size headphones. If those earbuds you suggested are really amazing, i would definitely get them, but i am hesitant at the moment. Again, i have been looking at the Sony MDR X10's and the MDR XB500, 600's. Hopefully i can get the X10's in a day or two as i hear they are great with bass and known for it, but as far as the mids and highs, i dont know, there's not much on anything but the bass, thats why i want to buy them, try them for a couple days, and return them if i dont like them.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 37
  I dont really want full size headphones, i just assume you will get better audio from full size headphones. If those earbuds you suggested are really amazing, i would definitely get them, but i am hesitant at the moment. Again, i have been looking at the Sony MDR X10's and the MDR XB500, 600's. Hopefully i can get the X10's in a day or two as i hear they are great with bass and known for it, but as far as the mids and highs, i dont know, there's not much on anything but the bass, thats why i want to buy them, try them for a couple days, and return them if i dont like them.

mmm seriously, just post on the Basshead thread. there are a lot of very knowledge, friendly people w/ extensive headphone experience on that thread that would be willing to help you out. They just loveee budget headphones w/ amazing bass + decent clarity hahah.

unfortunately alotta times people recommending things here only heard a few headphones that may not be what you are looking for, so jumping into a thread w/ more experienced, passionate hobbyists can be very helpful.

Edit: rotfllollinggg@the HD800 recommendation... an amazing high-end audiophile pair of headphones w/ a flat sound signature, but not even close to the sound sig that OP is describing & nowhere in the ballpark of the budget. you can honestly find exactly what you are looking for at that sub-$150. unfortunately, I don't have very much experience with that budget range, so I can't be more helpful.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 37
Here you can read about them:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-eph-100sl-inner-ear-headphone/reviews

Best Luck!

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 37
Note: the audiophiles in the basshead thread & just here in general throw out a lot of audiophile terms w/ really specific definitions that may be confusing. just say that you're new & try to best describe the sound signature you are looking for w/o throwing out too many audiophile terms as they can sometimes get misinterpreted.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 37
For what you described, the M-Audio Q40, for about $135 will meet your needs. Great overall sound, great bass without being a fart cannon, and in your budget.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 37
You won't necessarily get greater sound quality from over the head cans for the price you are looking for. I own the Klipsch X10i's. They tick all your boxes, the bass is fantastic on them. IEM's are within your target for price and sound signature, my opinion is , over the heads aren't.
Where will you be using them? What with?
I suppose whatever the answer IEM's would be suitable as they are mostly closed and don't necessarily need amping

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 37
  mmm seriously, just post on the Basshead thread. there are a lot of very knowledge, friendly people w/ extensive headphone experience on that thread that would be willing to help you out. They just loveee budget headphones w/ amazing bass + decent clarity hahah.

unfortunately alotta times people recommending things here only heard a few headphones that may not be what you are looking for, so jumping into a thread w/ more experienced, passionate hobbyists can be very helpful.

Edit: rotfllollinggg@the HD800 recommendation... an amazing high-end audiophile pair of headphones w/ a flat sound signature, but not even close to the sound sig that OP is describing & nowhere in the ballpark of the budget. you can honestly find exactly what you are looking for at that sub-$150. unfortunately, I don't have very much experience with that budget range, so I can't be more helpful.

Already posted this in the basshead threat and getting great help, thanks a ton for your help too. Oh yeah, no way i can ever get those Senns, and they are not really having anything said about bass either, no offense to Takeanidea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back