Headphones with a sub?
Nov 24, 2005 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sum

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tried their favorite cans with a subwoofer active at the same time? I'm wondering what the general impressions of this concept are? I'm wondering if it would get you that visceral impact along with all there is to love about headphones/IEMs. Obviously you'd need a sub that gets really low, since you wouldn't be hearing it so much as feeling it.

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 15
hehe I've tried that! it helps a lot for the impact of the lower frequencys, cause you can now 'feel' your body moving vibrating..

Nov 24, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 15
i cant or can hardly hear the sub with my cans on
frown.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 15
Aura Bass Shaker

B0002ZPTBI.01-A385A0XNQBW8HY._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Product Description:
Through a special buyout deal we were able to purchase a large quantity of the world famous Aura Pro Bass Shakers! Bass Shakers work on the concept that low bass is mostly felt and not heard. Feel the earth-shaking bass from your music, movies or video game soundtracks. Originally designed for automotive applications to produce big bass without taking up valuable space in the car. Ideal for convertibles and sports cars, where installing a large subwoofer is not practical. Can also be used in the home to make your own movie or video game chair. These units simply mount to the floorboard under the seat or to the bottom of a chair to feel awesome bass. The Pro version shakers handle 50 watts of power and produce more driving force than the standard shaker. Hooks up like an ordinary speaker. Use an array of Bass Shakers for larger surface areas like couches or love seats by utilizing conventional series parallel wiring configuration. Aura part number AST-2B-4. The Pro Bass Shaker is sold and boxed individually and come 16 units per case. Specifications: *Power handling: 50 watts RMS/75 watts max. *Impedance: 4 ohms *Usable Frequency Response: 20 to 100 Hz *Fs: 40 Hz *Force Peak: 30 lbs. per ft. *Dimensions: 6" dia. x 2-1/8" H

Nov 24, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 15
I was gonna suggest a Bass Shaker.
They rock but....not really an ideal setup if you live in an apartment building. I had one in my old unit and the people downstairs were, shall we say...less than thrilled.
That thing is attached to my drummers seat now. He loves it.

Nov 24, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tucker71
I was gonna suggest a Bass Shaker.
They rock but....not really an ideal setup if you live in an apartment building. I had one in my old unit and the people downstairs were, shall we say...less than thrilled.
That thing is attached to my drummers seat now. He loves it.

I don't find them too obtrusive, might depend on the model though. I have the Aura Bass Shakers from Partsexpress. 2 of them are mounted to my small-sized listening chair, they run off an old 35 watt Onkyo amp that is fed the low-passed signal from my stereo output(crossed over at 60Hz). I don't notice any effect outside of the room, but on the chair it is pretty potent.

Nov 25, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
I don't find them too obtrusive, might depend on the model though. I have the Aura Bass Shakers from Partsexpress. 2 of them are mounted to my small-sized listening chair, they run off an old 35 watt Onkyo amp that is fed the low-passed signal from my stereo output(crossed over at 60Hz). I don't notice any effect outside of the room, but on the chair it is pretty potent.

Awesome! I've been looking for something like this. I wonder how good the quality is.

Neil

Nov 25, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
anyone have both the pro and the regular version? What's the difference besides power handling? Seems like you can get 2 normal ones for the price of a pro?

I've got the standard version and they work great. I'd imagine the Pros would be better but I find with two on one seat they are very instense and they are spread out so the force is more even.

Nov 25, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 15
whats the best way (or ways) to set this up so it works? I have a shared cd player for my speaker rig. I send the xlr outs to my krell integrated whcih drives my speakers, and I send the rca outs to the headphone amp for headphone listening. I dont want the speakers on when I listen to headphones (generally), but I would want this aura bass thing on. But I think the only way to drive them would be from the integrated...

Oh and the integrated doesnt have a bass out per se, I was thinking I'd just tie it in with the speaker out connection since I'm assuming the bass has a built in crossover.

Neil

Nov 25, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 15
Split the RCA outs from the CD player, or use another set if it's available. Get an inline crossover at about 60-100Hz-Low Pass, send the output to your integrated or another amp and use it to adjust your shaker intensity.

The big problem with just sharing the speaker output is that it could drop the impedance too low for your amp and it will "buzz" with some frequencies that would normally be filtered out.

Nov 25, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #15 of 15
i do this all the time with my K1000's, kicks ass
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back