Headphones with a deceptive impedance rating
Mar 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mishalex

Head-Fier
I've been noticing a lot lately that there are plenty of headphones that, while the possess a relatively low impedance rating, actually sound quite a bit better with an amplifier set at medium or high impedance (depending on the power of the amp, of course).  Can somebody explain to me why it is that, for example, AKG K701s sound so much better when driven by a high-power amp even though they have an impedance rating of 62 ohms, or why the same is true for even the Denon ah-D5000 with their low 25 Ohms impedance rating?  It seems to me that, in spite of the listed impedance ratings on these headphones, you really almost need a headamp capable of driving a headphone of at least 250 Ohms to get the best sound out of these cans.  Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Additionally, I think it might be useful information (especially for relatively new hi-fiers like myself) to know what headphones that seem to have a low impedance rating actually require much more power to be driven properly.  If we could start compiling a list of these "deceptive imdepance rating" headphones, that would be very cool.

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 6
you should read more on "sensitivity", that's the term you are lacking on, impedance is not everything...

Quote:
I've been noticing a lot lately that there are plenty of headphones that, while the possess a relatively low impedance rating, actually sound quite a bit better with an amplifier set at medium or high impedance (depending on the power of the amp, of course).  Can somebody explain to me why it is that, for example, AKG K701s sound so much better when driven by a high-power amp even though they have an impedance rating of 62 ohms, or why the same is true for even the Denon ah-D5000 with their low 25 Ohms impedance rating?  It seems to me that, in spite of the listed impedance ratings on these headphones, you really almost need a headamp capable of driving a headphone of at least 250 Ohms to get the best sound out of these cans.  Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Additionally, I think it might be useful information (especially for relatively new hi-fiers like myself) to know what headphones that seem to have a low impedance rating actually require much more power to be driven properly.  If we could start compiling a list of these "deceptive imdepance rating" headphones, that would be very cool.

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 6
Here we go again............

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 6
For very dynamic songs, you wouldn't want the transient peaks distorting or clipping on something that can't provide ample power. The quality of the amp will also depend at which percentage of power it will start distorting.

Besides that, it seems as though people might confuse headphones sounding better with more power to having an amp/source with better quality components and/or coloration that just plain makes the headphones sound cleaner or better.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 6
*Actually bothers to read HeadWize about headphone sensitivity, drivers, transducers and the like.*

Got it.  Sorry to bring up a topic that has no doubt already been discussed to death.  I guess I should have realized... nihil sub sole novum est, I suppose.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Have a look at the PDF files here, in particular the "Volts RMS required to reach 90 dB SPL" spec at the bottom right. The higher it is, the harder to drive the headphone is in terms of voltage requirement; the most extreme examples are the Hifiman HE-6 (~50 Ohm, 1.018 Vrms) and the Beyerdynamic T70 (250 Ohm, 0.099 Vrms) - the HE-6 needs 10 times higher voltage despite having 5 times lower impedance. Note that it is common for a source to be able to output less voltage into lower impedance than into high impedance, so take that into account as well (see this graph of the FiiO E11 for an example).
However, voltage requirement is not the only parameter that determines how well a headphone works from a particular source. In fact, it is the only one where low impedance is inherently better, but is worse in some other aspects. If you check the E11 graph again, you can see that the higher the load impedance is, the lower the distortion becomes. Also, the frequency response of the headphone can be changed due to interaction between the impedance of the source and the drivers: a frequency dependent variation in the impedance of either will cause this effect. Therefore, the flatter the "Electrical Impedance and Phase" graph is for a headphone, the less its frequency response will change from different sources; compare the Sennheiser HD598 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50, for example. The HD598 is prone to having boomy bass when driven through high output impedance - typically, this happens with computer sources (both onboard and internal sound cards) and old receivers. Variations in the output impedance of the source are usually the result of capacitor coupled outputs, which is common with portable devices and sound cards; the effect on the audio is rolled off sub-bass. All these frequency response anomalies are less likely to occur with a high impedance headphone. The ratio of the headphone impedance and source impedance is called the damping factor, and it also affects the sound in other ways (e.g. distortion); in most, but not all cases, a higher damping factor is better, so you want either low output impedance or high headphone impedance to maximize it. Finally, a higher voltage sensitivity is not always a good thing, since you may not need the extra headroom for more SPL anyway, and the source may perform worse (audible hiss, channel imbalance, etc.) if you have to turn down the volume too much.
To summarize, an amplifier is not only useful to increase the maximum SPL, but it also fixes some problems that affect low impedance headphones when driven from cheap sources. For example, the Ultimate Ears UE700 IEM has low impedance and very high sensitivity, so it should be easy to drive if you only consider those parameters. But if you connect it to an onboard audio jack with 75 Ohm output impedance, it would have audible noise, and resonance in the upper midrange. An external amplifier would fix the resonance, and improve the noise as well at not very high listening volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back