Headphones with 20mm drivers?
Oct 5, 2008 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

d00dez

New Head-Fier
Here's a little back story. I recently bought an MSI Wind netbook. I like it, except that the speakers are unbearably terrible. It brings the phrase "cans" to a whole new level, and I can't take it. I've already disassembled the laptop a few times, and the speaker drivers are most definitely 20mm. The only problem being I can't find a single pair of headphones with 20mm drivers in them to do the old swap. Last night I bought the smallest-looking headphones I could find that weren't earbuds and still the drivers were 30mm, and would definitely not fit in the laptop.

Here are the ideal requirements: Headphones with a somewhat open design and 20mm drivers. I will settle for closed or plastic-backed supra-aural cheapies, but I would rather not spend less than $20 (but I will if recommended) or more than $40-50 (since this is going to be a hack job anyway and the SQ will for sure be lower than the original design)

Impedance and such be damned, because I'm doing this one way or another and I figure as long as its "loud enough" it should be ok. High efficiency would be nice, though.

I will post pictures of the job upon request. :-o

Oct 5, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 5
my advice to you is to just use headphones. laptop speakers are never going to be good, no matter what you cram in there.

and headphone drivers, assuming you could find 20mm ones, will be so lacking in bass at that distance that they won't be any better. headphone drivers are designed to be mashed against your ears.

Oct 5, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 5
yeah, I saw those too, but the 3K+ range on them puts them squarely in the tweeter-only category. I would try them otherwise, but I need something that can at least make an attempt at mid-to-low frequencies even though such a small cone probably won't do them too well.

True about the headphone suggestion, but headphones make it hard to do public display type arrangements of youtube videos and such. I will probably end up using headphones most of the time anyway, but I'm a tinkerer (as opposed to a tweeker. :-D ) and this project is just too tempting.

Oct 5, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by d00dez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, I saw those too, but the 3K+ range on them puts them squarely in the tweeter-only category. I would try them otherwise, but I need something that can at least make an attempt at mid-to-low frequencies even though such a small cone probably won't do them too well.

And a headphone driver will display similar behavior when not in an enclosed earpiece mashed to the side of your head.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back