Headphones vs. speakers
Dec 4, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fear what an ESL57 rig would do to me.
wink.gif

I know what it will do to me...send me to broken heaven.

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incorrect. Detail level and evenness of sound of MS-1 exceeds any $100 speakers by a long shot. You would need to spend around 300ish if you know what you are doing to get that.

That's your opinion, I think they sounds like tin cans.

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To each his own, but when was the last time you spent $100 on a speaker setup and got detailed, clear sound?

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Wonder what Grados you own sound like to you. And $100 speakers.

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #20 of 52
honestly go take a listen to the Martin Logan's that have a self contained amplifier and all you need to do is hook in a source.

I think they are called "purity". It sounds better than ANY headphone setup I have heard and can be had for $3000 brand new.

Dec 4, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Wonder what Grados you own sound like to you. And $100 speakers.

325i and ms1 are not even in the same ball game........not even close imo.

you can get used $200 speakers that will sound better than an ms1.

Dec 4, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #22 of 52
@speakerhead:
...and which headphone systems have you heard? Even if you found it better than a full blown tube rectified SDS-XLR driving a pair of R10s, it won't change the fact that many will still find the headphone set up superior in certain respects. I really do not believe the Martin Logans you listened to can do everything as well as every headphone rig out there.

@classic_rock_69:
$200 used >> $99 new
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Incorrect. Detail level and evenness of sound of MS-1 exceeds any $100 speakers by a long shot. You would need to spend around 300ish if you know what you are doing to get that.

I can't imagine any speaker for less than $300 that was even remotely comparable to headphones in detail retrieval, and midrange coherence. Even though I kinda dislike Grados because of what I perceive as "false" detail (ie - mid-treble and treble boost, high treble roll-off), their midrange response is very difficult to achieve on a speaker.

I build my own - even though I own a set of Monitor Audio RS-9 (what I'd call my "reference" commeercial speaker), I find it a lot of fun to experiment with different designs. My current system uses planar drivers from B&G (used on certain MartinLogan models, too). The midrange driver (Neo8) goes from 700 - 8,000 Hz. I use a SEAS woofer for the lower frequencies, and a Neo3 covers the rest. It's the only way I've been able to achieve a nice midrange response, fully coherent, with no crossover frequency in the critical region.

Then again, I think I spent close to $1,200 in parts alone building it... and to be honest, while they have (quite naturally) a lot better soundstaging than, say, my HD-600's, the 600's still beat them in detail and overall coherence.

I'm glad to have both, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

325i and ms1 are not even in the same ball game........not even close imo.

you can get used $200 speakers that will sound better than an ms1.

Missed my point. Can you find used $200 speakers that will be more detailed than MS-1? (Factoring in that I can get an MS-1 used for $70 in almost mint condition). I am trying to point out that in low price ranges headphones will have the edge on a few things.

Dec 5, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #26 of 52
My $2k KEF and Denon setup doesn't being to touch my $400 Mini^3 and DT990 setup.

To get the sound I have right now I imagine I'ld have to spend at least another $2k on upgrading my fronts to get a decent sound.

Problem is that I have a home theater setup, not a stereo setup.

Also, my gf wouldn't stand for me to have music on at all times. Not to mention my neighbors below me would hate me for the volume level I like and the bass as well.

If I had no budget however, I'ld take a speaker setup over headphones any day. I miss feeling the bass passing through me

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #27 of 52
Some of the very decent headphones owned by lucky Head-Fiers here can beat stereo systems costing over hundred thousand dollars in terms of detail hence realistic timbre. In fact, a fairly decent system based on a HE60, K1000 or O2 (all around the $1-2k range) can do that provided both speaker and headphone systems are using the same source.

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Missed my point. Can you find used $200 speakers that will be more detailed than MS-1? (Factoring in that I can get an MS-1 used for $70 in almost mint condition). I am trying to point out that in low price ranges headphones will have the edge on a few things.

No probably not. But it would be better in other respects. The ms1 is very thin and tinny sounding to me, I really hate it.

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #29 of 52
I see headphones the same way as I view sportbikes.

An $8000 sportbike can outperform (in a lot of ways) cars costing eight times as much. However, there are definite drawbacks to the bike -- limited passenger capability, limited carrying capacity, elemental exposure, higher demands placed on the operator, riding gear required, and lack of inherent stability. But for the same price as a very pedestrian econobox car, you can purchase a ZX-14 capable of quarter mile runs under 10 seconds right off the showroom floor, or a literbike that is equal to full on racebikes from a few years ago. The value is amazing.

Same thing with headphones. Grado SR60 is what, $70? But of course there are drawbacks -- headphones are solo-only, you're tethered, the headphone chassis can make noise, the bass doesn't have the same impact, etc. But again, the value is amazing.

But I find my opportunities to listen to home speakers are few and far between compared to my opportunities to use my car stereo, work headphones, and home headphones, even with a house. And even then, sometimes the speakers are just too much, and I want the quiet intimacy of headphones.

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

No probably not. But it would be better in other respects. The ms1 is very thin and tinny sounding to me, I really hate it.

Thats a different story. I can't listen to ANY Grados, but then I enjoy Proline 2500...(which can be brighter than Grados at times). Does not mean MS-1 is a bad can, it is fairly capable in some respects, and matching it with speakers in some areas is difficult without paying much more. This goes for alot of headphones we use here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back