Headphones vs Speakers Poll
Oct 16, 2001 at 10:26 PM Post #31 of 32
ok, lets say you have a sony R10 and a Holmes Powell DCT-1

You also have a B&W Nautilus and Mark Levinson amps that sounds just as good. (at a high price, of course)

I'd rather listen to the speakers.

Also, speakers, while they may might not as sound as good headphones for they money, they offer 3 advantages I can think of. First, they offer a sheer sense of power that cannot be matched by ANY headphone. Also, they are WAY more comfortable. You can rant all you want about how much more comfortable this headphone is than that, but comfort is not an issue with speakers. Have you ever turned on your speakers and relaxed on your soft sofa? Sure beats strapping little speakers to your head any day. One more thing, you can sing with speakers.

But wait, there are advantages for headphones also. First of all, headphones have better clarity. You'd have to spend far more on speakers to achieve sound from, lets say, a properly driven Senn HD600. Portability. Let's just face it, people, speakers aren't very portable-headphones are. The last, lets say you bought a Bose Acoustimass home theater and your room is the size of a football staduim. Uh oh, your speakers are going to sound like ****. With headphones, this isn't an issue. I hope this helps you.

Oct 16, 2001 at 10:40 PM Post #32 of 32
I think I've got symptoms of @nthr@x...
frown.gif
(Nope, @nthr@x is NOT anthrax!)

Well, I prefer headphones at present because I live in a small 8.5x11 room - and practically ANY loudspeaker system sounds like CRAP in that small room!
eek.gif

If I had to choose speakers for that small 8.5x11 room that has mostly "hard" walls and floors, which size ("high-quality" bookshelf, satellite/subwoofer or floor speakers, or tinny micro speakers) and "x-way" (full-range, 2-, 3- or 4-way) do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back