Headphones vs Speakers Poll
Oct 14, 2001 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 32
I use headphones all the time, but I would like to try my luck with speakers of my own make, like Voigt pipes and open baffles. So then, I'll probably listen to speakers at leas while at home.

Oct 14, 2001 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 32
I have speakers set-up in both the den and the living room........Klipsch Forte's, Klipsch KG-1s, and Acoustic Research AR3a's. Until I discovered HeadWize this past March, they were on constantly. Since that time, however, they've been on no more than a half dozen times. I'm hooked on headphones!
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 32
Only headphones for me.

Maybe when I own my own house, I can start to mess with some of those cool looking Horn Speakers. But, that's so far away from now, it's sick.

So, I shall be listening to my headphones for a long time to come and that's just fine with me
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 32
I definitely like speakers, since you can get more 'oomfph' from the sound, not to mention the soundstage can be more lifelike. But headphones will almost certainly get used more.

Oct 14, 2001 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 32
for now, the headphones are on whenever possible. lying in bed trying to sleep isn't that comfortable with headphones, so then I turn on the speakers.

one day tho, one day I'll have a real speaker setup. they have a more "close your eyes and you're there" soundstage.

I'd like to do a speaker upgrade somewhere in the next few years, but everytime I look at the price of the budget speakers/amps, I think of what amazing headphones that kind of money buys..
smily_headphones1.gif
so not happening till I get a more sizeable income flowing
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 32
I like to listen to music anytime of the day. There are lots of occasions where headphones are not very handy like breakfast, when chiling with a few friends, walking around etc etc. That's when I use my speakers. I use my headphones mostly when studying, surfing the web, late at night etc etc.

Both my speakers and my headphones sound pretty good so I like both.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 32
At work laying out the newspaper it's headphones (and we're talking ten hours a day - so you know why I need "ez-listening" phones - aka Senns 600s). At home on weekends, it's the occasion return to the home stereo and the Kefs; at the computer desk in the den its an mp3/CD player with a Boston Acoustic satellite system (which I've discovered is about the limit of a system I want to listen to mp3 through). I love going headphone the best, but if someone dropped a pair of Silver Signature Nautilus B&Ws in my lap, I think I could dispense with headphones for awhile.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 32
Both are mandatory. I use speakers most of the time, and for overall musical impact, they can't be beat.

When I want to listen through headphones, I WANT to listen through headphones. This is usually when reading. I'll use phones more often when I get a seperate setup for my computer station. Both experiences complement each other, I think.

Oct 14, 2001 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 32
I'd PREFER a high-end speaker system, but I too young to:

A) afford such a system
B) enjoy such a system with my limited music collection
C) HAVE such a system - too disruptive to others.

I prolly will never have a speaker system till I get my own HOUSE (not apartment) because of A + C (B is being changed)....

Oct 14, 2001 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 32
Hey, I don't think you need a lot of music to enjoy loudspeakers or any kind of high quality system for that matter. Even if you only had three CDs that you love, that would be enough imo. The main thing for me is how the enjoyment of music can increase the quality of life.

Oct 14, 2001 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 32
Well, since I got my speakers I've definitely stopped listening to headphones as much. But late at night, or for portable purposes, I still listen to headphones quite a bit. Otherwise I wouldn't be here :p

Oct 14, 2001 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 32
I've posted on this before, but the ONLY reason I listen to headphones is because I live in an apartment complex. I have a very nice speaker system (PSB Stratus Goldis) that I just can't use for music without disturbing the neighborhood.

As soon as I get a house of my own (some time down the line), bye bye headphones! If we are honest with ourselves, we would admit that the speaker vs. headphone experiences just don't really compare IF you can get good quality speakers. If your budget limits you to hedphone-level equipment, they do offer outstanding value that can't be matched by comparably priced speakers.

Oct 14, 2001 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 32
Though I enjoy listening through headphones, I enjoy listening through good speaker systems even more. Aside from the fact that I like the sound from my Vandersteen 1C / ACI Titan II LE system much better than any headphones that I've ever heard, speakers are intrinsicly more social and less isolating; they allow the music to be a part of the environment to be enjoyed by everybody. My wife and I, and most of the folks that come by enjoy the music from the speakers and can talk to eachother about the music and whatever else.

I generally listen to headphones when the isolation is an advantage (like when my wife is asleep), when the headphones provide provide better sound than the speakers attached to the source (my computer and portable devices), and for careful monitoring of recordings.

During a much earlier part of my life, before I got out on my own, headphones were a necessity, because they allowed me to listen to what I wanted, when I wanted, without parental sanctions or sibling complaints, and the now ancient (late '60s) Sennheisers I had back then, though deficient in bass, sounded so much better than the speakers I could afford at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back