Headphones vs Preferred music
Jun 26, 2004 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shadowmover

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My old headphones are getting a bit worn and I've decided it's time for an upgrade. I've been trying out some headphones, yet am still undecided; so have been scanning the forum for some useful feedback.

What I haven't been able to find is a thread that mentions the performance of headphones in comparision to preferred music? From my experience, most cans perform differently with certain types of music.

Any thoughts on this?

Have been looking at Sennheiser 650's, Audiotechnica ATH-A1000 & ATH-A900, and Sony CD-3000.

Am planning on using the Total Bithead from headroom as an amp.

Extract from Current playlist:

Jega - Brad's Garden maintenance
Hexedene - Breathe
Assemblage 23 - Anthem
Fluke - Absurd
Robert Miles - It's all coming back
Wolfsheim - Find you're here
Jega - Phalanx
The Last Dance - Whisper (Synthetic mix by Assemblage 23)
Aphex Twin & Robert Miles - Rare Duet
Ambeon - Fate of a dreamer

Jun 26, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 4
Well from what I have heard, if you plan on using a headroom amp, you may as well cross the CD3000 from your list. I have never heard anyone say they like a Headroom amp / CD3000 combo.

Jun 27, 2004 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 4
Ok, am still pondering what amp to use, so am not totally stuck with the idea of using the total bithead; it'd just be a really smooth semi-portable solution to go with my laptop and at office as well as with my home system...and I could always upgrade the home system at a later time...

I've only found the bithead and the audiotrak optoplay that works that way so far. And in comparision, quality-wise, the bithead seems way better.

As for headphones, I used to go with AKG's, but having tried a few of their recent models, I am not impressed. Must say I'm leaning towards HD650 or A900/A1000, but Audiotechnica's products are not common in stores around here, so have only been able to try some lower quality models.

Jun 27, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 4
Well better call the system transportable, instead of protable, the CD3000 will never be a good option for portable as it is huge in size, as a portable amp that pair well with it, the ones I have been told that match are the LaRocco reference, or a portable PPA, with a battery pack if you want portability, not sure how the match will be with a Ray Samuels XP-7 or SR-71, but all of them seems to be good amps, but if you are planning ot use it at the office you could use any amp then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back