Headphones vs. Loudspeakers
Aug 12, 2008 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

AudioPhewl

500+ Head-Fier
I'm just wondering whether anyone on here, like me, finds that headphones just don't come close to a good speaker setup?

Don't get me wrong, I love my cans. And I'm looking at spending a small fortune on upgrading them. But I was brought-up listening to Spendor BBC studio monitors, and my current speakers(Rogers LS7) mirror the sound of them nicely, but with a smear more bass. The realism, the ambiance, the soundstage, the depth of bass... just the overall "picture" is so much fuller, so much more real. "Question" by the Moody Blues just came on, and it really made me stop and think. It's so clear, so precise... so... perfect.

I sit here at night, on occasions, with the lights off. Everything "feels" real, it's natural and free-flowing. I've got an audible picture the entire width of the room. No matter how much I love listening to headphones - and I really do - I just can't see them ever beating the overall sensation and experience with my old Kenny amplifier and Rogers speakers.

Is there really a headphone that can monumentally change my thoughts? Anyone else find themselves wondering the same thing?

Happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 28
Headphones are great for listening to details. I use them to do careful noise reduction. They're also great for being considerate of others who don't want to listen to the same music as you do.

Speakers are better at creating a realistic soundstage in front of you and for presenting a balanced overall sound. Through reflection off the walls, they can create an enveloping sound. And bass with speakers is a felt thing as well as a heard one. Good speakers are what sound mixers use to engineer recordings, so it's more truthful though speakers.

Both have their purposes.

See ya
Steve

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 28
Aug 12, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 28
Thanks, GreatDane. I figured folk on here... actually, I don't know what I figured. I guess I just assumed that nobody else would have had the same worrying urges about speakers
wink.gif

I'm off for a read. And I tip my hat to you for not calling me names, because I blatantly didn't do any searching or give it any thought whatsoever
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 28
closes fones to a pseudo speaker experience was stax sr007 with a kgss amp. had texture portrayal and body like speakers and the imaging was kinda believable but it was still listening through headphones... i don't think that boundary will ever be broken although it may be stretched a slight amount like the above system i mentioned. that's why i don't like when people talk about 'soundstage' and 'life-like' when they refer to fone experience, i find it rather ridiculous and completely over imaginitive. for example, akg k501 is a really nice fone, but it has such a fake presentation that tries to mimic a soundstage that i can't stand listening to it for longer than 5 minutes. if i could get over that, i'd hook it upto gear that i thought shares its strengths and i think it would be phenominal. perhaps meridian 508.20 (taut strong bass that would go perfect with k501s shy fast response) & sugden headmaster (great texture and drive). i think that would end up having similar qualities to a proac response one speaker rig (smooth flat earth resolving sound with a wide open midrange)

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 28
They're different. Headphones have a much better bang for the buck ratio. That being said, once you get into the really good stuff speakers just out pace the best headphone rigs (In most ways). About 95% of my listening is with my speaker rig. My speakers cost more than 16x as much as my headphones so it's no real surprise that they're better, or at least that I like them better
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 28
I like listening to headphones even though the experience is different. Duntech speakers were pretty good but my current setup is pretty close to them in terms of detail. The only area that is lacking is the bass.
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 28
I've heard some amazing speaker setups and I must say, my drive to own a sweet system is HIGH. That said, headphones serve a purpose and provide a unique experience. Even if I owned my dream system, I don't know if I could abandon headphones, the intimacy is just too great. That said, there is nothing like snuggling on a couch with my wife, a glass of wine and some fine jazz and just enjoying. Even with our crappy speakers, this is very fun. I can only imagine how much better it would with good gear.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #13 of 28
Yeah, the "intimacy" is what a special quality headphone configuration brings. As well as the fact that a top-end headphone config., costs considerably less than top-end speaker components. So headphones are more "bang" for the buck.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the "intimacy" is what a special quality headphone configuration brings. As well as the fact that a top-end headphone config., costs considerably less than top-end speaker components. So headphones are more "bang" for the buck.

ditto!

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #15 of 28
Bang for the bucks.
smily_headphones1.gif

A speaker system may have higher sound quality. But its multiple times as expensive and you need a suitable listening room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back