Headphones vs Earphones
Apr 13, 2006 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Basketballer

New Head-Fier
What device is more capable of reproducing the best quality sound/music?

What device is more capable of reproducing the best quality sound/music without spending more than $25?

Which of these two have better bass? Sennheiser MX 450/500 or the Sennheiser HD 201? (by better i mean, lower freq./stronger/less distortion when you increase volume)

What are the best budget In-Earphones (ear canal ones)? cuz the cheapest i saw was $80. they dont make $20-30 ones?

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Better yet, get yourself a pair of Koss KSC75's for $12.99 at Amazon. Great bass and nothing else can touch them for $25 (except maybe another Koss).

BTW - Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

PS - I forgot to answer your original question. Headphones, specifically open headphones, produce the most accurate sound. That's not to say that there aren't some outstanding earbuds, canalphones and IEM's out there, because there are. But as a rule, headphones will give you your best sound quality.

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 6
When I was a kid; those things we now call "Headphones" were often called "Earphones"(they looked a lot like the current Grados)didn't fit inside by any stretch....

Then again; things that were hot were called cool and things that were bad were called good and.....why do we chop a tree down before we chop it up
confused.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Mektarus gave the best recommendation above...it speaks volumes that some of the posters here use $500, even $1000+ home headphones, then tolerate the Kosses and use them on the go.

The best budget canalphones are the Creative EP-630 and Sennheiser CX300. Many have praise for these, but I don't really know the difference between the two. They aren't "true" IEMs like the "$80" canalphones you mentioned above, but they sound and isolate a lot better than regular earbuds.

Like aforementioned, headphones just beat the crap out of their smaller counterparts, except for in isolation...my experience is that a $40-60 headphone (HD 497) significantly outclassed an $80-100 IEM (Shure E2C)...you can find more accounts by searching these forums

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Stewgriff said: "The best budget canalphones are the Creative EP-630 and Sennheiser CX300. Many have praise for these, but I don't really know the difference between the two. They aren't "true" IEMs like the "$80" canalphones you mentioned above, but they sound and isolate a lot better than regular earbuds."

I have the Creatives, and they're a good, affordable pair of canal phones. They isolate somewhat. It's nice to have the more comprehensive isolation of Etymotics, Shures, etc., if they're within your budget ("budget" is apparently a gray area on Head-Fi
icon10.gif
) ... but as said previously, IEMs and canal phones can't present music as naturally as good open headphones would. In other words, there's no direct equivalence between a $200 headphone and a $200 IEM.

Oh -- if you don't think you'll like the clip-on KSC75's, at least give the PortaPro 2's or even the SportaPro's a try. I have the PortaProp 2's and I'm impressed. They're very affordable, and the metal head band is not a problem like I feared it might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back