headphones vs. earphones
Jan 24, 2005 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dusadus

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, first post.

i currently own a set of senn px-100's to listen to my Iaudio M3 mp3 player. I am really happy w/ these headphones but am disappointed with the fact that I cannot commute with them due to the lack of isolation. I'm looking for a new set for around a $100.

My question is whether to get a set of canalphones like the shure's or to get a closed design headphone. I generally prefer headphones, but am concerned with the portability. For those who got headphones for commuting, any regrets?

thanks,
d

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 14
depends alot on your price, but the low-end grados are quite good for portability or so I hear. As far as sound quality is concerned tho, I doubt theyre as good as Shure high-end earphones. If you have money to spend and your primary criteria is portability, id go with earphones.

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
depends alot on your price, but the low-end grados are quite good for portability or so I hear. As far as sound quality is concerned tho, I doubt theyre as good as Shure high-end earphones. If you have money to spend and your primary criteria is portability, id go with earphones.

Grado isolate even less than the PX-100 so that not an option

For my part I use my ety for comuting work great but I haven't tried anything else to compare. There is the microphonics but I deal with it just get the cable secure somehow.

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 14
Welcome to the forum.

It's not the most popular choice here on Head-fi compared to the Px-100's, but considering you are happy with your Senn's and more than likely find them comfortable, why not consider the Px-200's for their sealed design.

Might be worth at least trying them out. I own both the Px-100's and 200's and although I find the Px-100's with the best soundspace overall, the Px-200's have served me while flying and travelling and provide a good amount of isolation, not a brilliant amount, but if you like the Senn sound overall, the Px-200's give you more of the same albeit in a more sealed sound.

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 14
Canal phones (the good ones) will give you better isolation than closed headphones, maybe too much so. Some of the better ones to try are Etymotic ER-6i, Westone UM-1s, Shure E2cs if you can find for under $100. Otherwise the chreap Koss The Plugs is a nice choice.
orphsmile.gif

Jan 24, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 14
I used the much bashed Bose Triports when I have to go anywhere. I also have earphones and I must say that there is absolutely no difference for me whether I take my earphones or heaphones, but one thing i learned is that grado's are not at all good for portability.

Jan 24, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 14
going from px100 to px200 might be a step back in the sound department.

why not try the sony v6, their closed, very portable, and sound way better than the px100

Jan 24, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 14
I hover between phones. I have px100 and px200. Px200 for me isn't as nice sounding so I use Shure EC3 for commuting. Can't wear them for too long so for journeys, at least I'm not having to turn it right up to hear over noise.

So, the choice for me is PX100 - loud - annoys others and you end up with a headache cos it's too loud or ..

EC3 - play softly since the isolation lets you but get an earache instead by keeping them in too long.

Who said Hi Fi is a compromise?

Feb 2, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 14
koss "the plug" aren't canalphones, they're earbuds, so they won't isolate as well however, the sound you get for the price is pretty amazing

Feb 2, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 14
Im thoroughly enjoying my e2c through my MuVo. A little treble shy, but they isolate ambient noise so incredibly well that it doesnt take much treble to be audible over the mix. IMHO their treble recession is more of a signature than a flaw. Sometimes I boost the 16Khz slider on the EQ by 2-3 db.

They DO benefeit from ~70 hours of burn in. Bass fills out more and becomes more resonant. Mid-range resonances mellow out a little too. I really like their un-fatigue-ing sound, very fun to listen to.

At $70 the e2c is hard to beat IMHO.

Garrett

Feb 3, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #14 of 14
Does there exist an in-ear phone that has a decent subbass response? Maybe it's just me but all the earphones I've ever tried out severely lacked bass below say 70-80hz-ish. That's why I've always preferred headphones to ear phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back