Headphones versus speakers for critical listening
Jul 21, 2002 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd like comments from Head-Fi members who switched to a headphone from speakers for critical music listening. Why have you switched? What do you do to optimize the listening experience (for example, using headphone and subwoofer together)? If you use one headphone for critical listening, which headphone?

Jul 21, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 15
mikeg
HI: I have a good souround sound 500 watt 5x100 watt stereo system but when I got into home headphones I only use my souround sound for my tv listening. If you got the sennheiser 580s and used the cd deck to stereo amp with good ics and then used good ics from the stereo tape out to a supreme amp. The music cant compair to my souround sound system. Headphones with crossfeed from amp are the best sounding thing I have ever heard for music. I dont need my subwoffer with the 580s because I get all the bass I can handle plus the music is directly put into my head with headphones and the sound is a wow factor. I think that headphones are the best way to listen to music unless of course you have a 20or30,000 dollar set up and the room for it and very understanding neibhors.

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 15
I use an AKG K1000 headphone connected to an ASL AQ-1005DT amp. The sound field is broad and beautifully resolved. When I used a surround sound speaker system I found it useful only for movies. For critical listening to music I always had to switch to the two front speakers only. Otherwise there was a big loss of quality; e.g., hollow sound, lost resolution, lost base, etc. Kind of a noisy mess.

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 15
Music systems and home theater systems are, in my experience, at odds. I have a decent midfi home theater system and I don't consider it very good for music.

I would prefer a dedicated 2 channel speaker system for music listening but have a number of problems with that:
cost
space to put it
narrow sweet spots

For a fraction of the cost of a dedicatied 2 channel audio system that sounds good, the headphone system sounds fantastic whether I'm laying on the couch, walking around or playing on the computer. And frankly, I live in an apartment right now and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to dedicate a whole room to just an audio rig. I still dream, though.

Thus far, in my opinion, a speaker system can surpass a headphone system for critical listening if you have enough money and space to do it. The perception of front to back depth, space around the musicians and focus is very difficult to replicate on headphones without binaural recordings. But for the level I'm at now? Headphones are the right solution.

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 15
kelly
HI: Lets not forget that at 4am I can hear pink floyd at a fairly loud level and the cops dont show up at my door.

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 15
LT
Well, they don't show up due to noise complaints, anyway. There's still the issue of the ganja smoke pouring out an open window.

Jul 21, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 15
kelly
HI: Are you talking about that funney stuff to smoke. No way I have not had a drink or a drug in 10 years Thank GOD. And at my age, but they might get my for the cigarette smoke pureing out my air conditiner fan out take that I use so my dog to get to much smoke to inhale.

Jul 21, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 15
I don't think it's possible to "switch" permanently from speakers to cans in a professional situation because you're listening critically to how a mix will play on speakers and rarely, if ever, on headphones. It's very rare for an engineer to mix with headphones. When you're tracking in a noise-problematic home studio (irate neighbors) and working with pro engineers and producers, they always check the sound on speakers first before using headphones. Or they use headphones for more isolation if there isn't a conventional studio/control room split available.

Musicians often create effects for headphones consciously, particularly panning effects, which are almost always done for the benefit of the kid at home who's listening with headphones. But the mixing is always done on speakers, and the major switching is from big to little monitors and back.

Part isolating is the kind of critical listening studio types do with headphones -- if we're having to figure out a viola line in a classic string arrangement. And also, if we're trying to isolate an incorrect sound on an old mix (talking, gasping, etc.) or locate a hum, that's sometimes done with headphones as well. I favor the Sony V6 for that purpose and have never seen top-end audiophile cans in any studio, even the most high-end studios. What I do see repeatedly are expensive monitors.

Jul 24, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 15
For me, it depends on what I'm listening for. For imaging, soundstage, and ambience, speakers are definitely the way to go. For picking out little details in the recording that may be hidden, headphones. For speakers, I use Aerial 10Ts driven by Brystons, and for headphones, Sennheiser HD-600 or Etymotic ER-4S driven by a HeadRoom Max/SA.

--Andre

Jul 24, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 15
Just connected a Marantz SA8260 SACD Player to my ASL AQ-1005 DT/AKG K1000 combination, and the sound is wonderful. But, I realize that it's probably no match to AndreYew's Aerial 10Ts/Brystons combination.

Jul 25, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 15
My experience is while I am still very please with my audio system, I try to get new experience of music/FM listening via a different route from upgrading the existing gear. Going to headphone system is to test out if it can bypass my room acoustic problem(my room has some limits) and give even better result. ANother major reason is I have to share the space with someone sometimes.

My initial feeling is my new head-fi system(Meridian507>Outlaw PCA>Herron VTSP>Headmaster>HD580) is still less airy, open and has smaller soundstage. Music is also less involving, may be HD580 does not suit me taste. I don't know if Headmaster need burn-in, anyway, I will settle with this for a while but I have not give up yet.
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 15
this is a great thread.

I use my loudspeaker systems when I am in the mood to bring out real emotion in the music.I love my headphones and amps but there are times when I need to hear Sade tell me how much she loves me out loud.Sometimes I need to feel the bass on Stevie Wonder's "superstition".When Miles' horn fills my room I am sure he is right there playing for me.As much as I value a good headphone system I know it's limitations.I've spent lots of money on headphone gear to approach what I have been able to achieve with my loudspeaker systems.I do sometimes listen critically using headphones but I listen emotionally using loudspeakers.Besides,mono and vinyl sounds best on loudspeakers and I really dig most mono LPs.

Jul 25, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 15
In my short stint among you freaks, I've failed to develop an understanding of 'critical listening.' I understand what the term means, of course, but I don't know why anyone would do it unless he's working in sound production. I'll have to have someone explain it to me one of these days.

I'm also not sure why anyone would choose to listen to headphones if they can listen to speakers. I suppose that may be a matter of preference, though.

Hey LTUCCI1924 -- you know, maybe you should go back to drinking and smoking that other stuff. It's definitely more enjoyable than cigarettes, safer for the most part, and the way things are going, it just may end up being less expensive.

kerelybonto

Edit: "Would that I had a brain ..."

Jul 25, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #14 of 15
if you have the money, and the perfect room, speakers are better, but if you dont have the money, headphones are a better value, and come close. the major bad thing about headphones it the lack of bass vibration in your bones, and mostly, good bass and soundstage. but headphones are portable, and dont bug your neighbors. i never really listen to my system anymore, it just isnt up to par even with my 280pros and airhead, even though much more expensive.

but this is just my opinion, and i dont know as much as a lot of people here.

Jul 25, 2002 at 11:28 AM Post #15 of 15
A great speaker setup is well....great! However with a wife and 5 year old listening to music for more than 30 seconds uninterupted with speakers is nearly impossible. Thank God for headphones! Also, achieving the same/better sound quality with speakers can be quite expensive and involve much more than the equipment. The room, ambient noise, neighbors, etc...etc...etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back