Headphones upgrade?
Nov 8, 2018 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

password333333

New Head-Fier
Hi, i recently bought LG V30 and use it with my HyperX Cloud II headset. Ive been listening to music on headphones for over a decade now so id say im not completely deaf in terms of sound quality. Those are my best headphones so far and i wanted to really enjoy that quad dac that comes with the phone. I was thinking something around HD650 price point. Is it big difference when upgrading from 80 ohm to 250+ ohm headphones? I know the sennheisers also have better frequency range but im more interested in impendance since the frequency seems like much less drastic change. But sadly i dont have any chance to try them on anywhere nearby and ive never listened to better headphones then those HyperXs. If you have similar experience or smthg please if you could help me out.

If you know about closed isolated ones so i could listen to them at work or in public that would be awesome. Oh and it would be for music and maybe casual gaming.
Thanks!

FYI yes the phone is able to run up to 600 ohm heaphones. HD650 are apperantly really great from what i heard.

Nov 8, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 12
Nov 9, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 12
I know nothing about gaming but the hd600/650/6xx don't isolate at all. They're great headphones but I wouldn't use them in public.

I think the ATH-m60x, B&O H6, Meze 99 or maybe Beyerdynamic t5p are popular portable choices. But there's many more. Also I wouldn't look for high impedance headphones if you are planning to run them out of your phone mostly. Good luck though.

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 12
i understand your disbelieve that the phone can run high impendance headphones. but all reviews on the internet say they can easily run 250+ ohm heaphones like HD650... my HyperXs are 60ohm and theyre loud af so im sure the quad dac works. also i forgot to mention, that the headphones gotta be around ears since i wear glasses i cant wear over ear headphones

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 12
If you want an open back headphone that is driven very well from the V30, check out the Massdrop Sennheiser HD 58X. It's a fantastic pairing. And while the phone can drive 600 ohm headphones, you won't get much volume. Same goes with most planar magnetic headphones. There are several closed back options that sound great with the V30, including the Beoplay H6 which is my personal favorite, they probably won't be the best for gaming. I'd opt for the Meze 99 Neo for that.

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 12
i understand your disbelieve that the phone can run high impendance headphones. but all reviews on the internet say they can easily run 250+ ohm heaphones like HD650... my HyperXs are 80ohm and theyre loud af so im sure the quad dac works. also i forgot to mention, that the headphones gotta be around ears since i wear glasses i cant wear over ear headphones
I own both the 30 and 40. While it has a decent enough amp, it won't push anything like you seem to believe. Ohm rating isn't the only factor in play here. Sensitivity level plays an equal role. It will indeed push a 300 ohm headphone such as the 6XX / 650, but not crazy loud. Again, the 58X seems to be the sweet spot. And even if it pushes that 200 - 250 ohms, if the sensitivity level is anything much below 100 db, forget about it. But if you don't believe me, you can always find out for yourself

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 12
the sennheisers look really good. but it ends in 9 hours. do you know about smthg similar with closed design?

i believe you that they wont be super loud but everyone kept suggesting low impendance heaphones with worse specs then the HyperXs...

Ugh.. Massdrop tricks yet another person with those perpetually ending "drops". Those headphones are one of the things Massdrop stocks and sells like a regular store. Once the timer ends it just resets again to 12 hours or whatever. It's just there to trick people so they panic-buy it.

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 12
the sennheisers look really good. but it ends in 9 hours. do you know about smthg similar with closed design?

i believe you that they wont be super loud but everyone kept suggesting low impendance heaphones with worse specs then the HyperXs...
Honestly, the 58X is pretty remarkable for the price. I can't think of any closed back, or really anything for that matter that can match or best it for less than 200 bucks. My advice since you were saying HD 650 price - get both the 58X and the Meze 99 Neo. Both will work great for music and gaming, then you will have both a closed and open. If you're dead set on one closed back, something from AKG could possibly work.

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 12
If you want an open back headphone that is driven very well from the V30, check out the Massdrop Sennheiser HD 58X. It's a fantastic pairing. And while the phone can drive 600 ohm headphones, you won't get much volume. Same goes with most planar magnetic headphones. There are several closed back options that sound great with the V30, including the Beoplay H6 which is my personal favorite, they probably won't be the best for gaming. I'd opt for the Meze 99 Neo for that.
+1 on the Massdrop/Sennheiser (150-Ohm) HD58X headphones.
I've been using my HD58x every day :)

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 12
Hi, i recently bought LG V30 and use it with my HyperX Cloud II headset. Ive been listening to music on headphones for over a decade now so id say im not completely deaf in terms of sound quality. Those are my best headphones so far and i wanted to really enjoy that quad dac that comes with the phone. I was thinking something around HD650 price point. Is it big difference when upgrading from 80 ohm to 250+ ohm headphones? I know the sennheisers also have better frequency range but im more interested in impendance since the frequency seems like much less drastic change. But sadly i dont have any chance to try them on anywhere nearby and ive never listened to better headphones then those HyperXs. If you have similar experience or smthg please if you could help me out.

If you know about closed isolated ones so i could listen to them at work or in public that would be awesome. Oh and it would be for music and maybe casual gaming.
Thanks!

FYI yes the phone is able to run up to 600 ohm heaphones. HD650 are apperantly really great from what i heard.
Meze 99 Classics, low oHm fantastic sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back