Headphones under 500$
Jun 19, 2021 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sokra

New Head-Fier
I currently own Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm and Objective2 +ODAC Headphone Amplifier/DAC combo.
I have been fairly happy with that setup i specially like how light and comfortable the DT990 is but now thinking it's time to buy better headphones.
I sometimes feel that in some songs these DT990 can have little bit too bright highs and are perhaps lacking in midrange. I listen lots of electronic, dance, metal and power metal music so i would appreciate if headphones are able to produce good low end.
Would DT1990 Pro or maybe Hifiman Sundara be any good or any improvement than my current DT990 Pro?
Or any other recommendations under 500$.
Thanks.

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 8
The Sundara’s will definitely not be as bright. They will also be as bassy though I would not call them bass light. Planars tend to be more linear on the bass than dynamics. You will not get as much slam but more of a linear response and for the most part better sub bass rumble.

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 8
I currently own Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm and Objective2 +ODAC Headphone Amplifier/DAC combo.
I have been fairly happy with that setup i specially like how light and comfortable the DT990 is but now thinking it's time to buy better headphones.
I sometimes feel that in some songs these DT990 can have little bit too bright highs and are perhaps lacking in midrange. I listen lots of electronic, dance, metal and power metal music so i would appreciate if headphones are able to produce good low end.
Would DT1990 Pro or maybe Hifiman Sundara be any good or any improvement than my current DT990 Pro?
Or any other recommendations under 500$.
Thanks.
Both the 1990 and the Sundara are an improvement over the 990 imo. They do everything the 990 does, but in a more balanced way.

DT1990 addresses a lot of the issues with DT990, namely more full midrange, less sibilance, more subbass. But it still has the Beyer flavor with treble peaks for pushing details up-front and great imaging. Sundara also has these improvements, but its presentation is more laidback. Vocals are a little more distant (but still present), treble detail is smoother and less aggressive, and imaging is not as precise. The bass has excellent texture, but a bit less slam than the Beyers.

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 8
AKG N5005 is very well tuned reference IEM, which matches the ideal Harman Target Curve very well, the soundstage is wide, treble is clear high resolution, only drawback the mid is not that great. It is suitable for classic music. There are several N5005 on eBay are under $500.

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 8
AKG N5005 is very well tuned reference IEM, which matches the ideal Harman Target Curve very well, the soundstage is wide, treble is clear high resolution, only drawback the mid is not that great. It is suitable for classic music. There are several N5005 on eBay are under $500.
Not looking IEM, only really interested in over ear headphones..

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 8
Hyland Audio Jupiter One. 400 GBP plus imports. Easily my favorite open back dynamic, and they do very well with all your genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back