Headphones under $50
Jul 21, 2015 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

goxgox

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of "decent", $50 over-ear headphones. I've spent quite some time looking at the reviews and shortlisted a couple of options:
1. Sony MDRZX600
2. Sony MDR-V55
3. Sennheiser HD 419
4. Sennheiser HD 429

They are all in the same price-range and have more-less positive reviews. I predominantly listen to nu jazz/ambient/electronica with an occasional rock/progressive rock/indie rock track. My home equipment consists of a HK AVR 265 along with a pair of JBL Northridge E80, a pair of JBL Control 1 and a JBL SP 150 woofer, so I guess I'm used to a more soft sound with plenty of bass. As I read in the reviews, all of the headphones I outlined offer plenty of bass, too, but they differ in "sound precision". Still, I'd like a well defined (if not crispy) sound, I don't like the "beats-audio" bass emphasis. 

That being said, can anyone share an opinion? I know there are lots of other alternatives around but I really wouldn't want to spend more than $50 considering I'll be using these headphones for listening to mp3/youtube music on my laptop. I do not plan to use them for outside (I already have a good pair of in-ear headphones).

Thanx for any suggestions.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 21
Gemini HSR-1000 very ambitious, good for your genre's, somewhat unrefined.

Off your list HD 429 is only one I'd consider, but very un-impactful sound, very controlled, un-lively, unambitious but refined.

Another option is Creative Aurvana Live, smooth sound, better than HD 429 but not as ambitious as Gemini HSR-1000, decently refined. 

But I would read up more reviews on these, there are many details that may sway you to one or the other. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 21
  Gemini HSR-1000 very ambitious, good for your genre's, somewhat unrefined.
Off your list HD 429 is only one I'd consider, but very un-impactful sound, very controlled, un-lively, unambitious but refined.
Another option is Creative Aurvana Live, smooth sound, better than HD 429 but not as ambitious as Gemini HSR-1000, decently refined. 
But I would read up more reviews on these, there are many details that may sway you to one or the other. 

+1, Gemini HSR-1000, $47 at Amazon.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 21
Thanx for the suggestions everyone.

I did come upon the Creative Aurvana Live while reading the reviews but I have omitted it for some reason - I will definitely reconsider.
The Gemini HSR-1000 is obviously in a different category - but the price in Europe is quite a bit higher - approx $120 on the German Amazon site. And the 60 Ohm impedance can be an issue, too.

Reading through the buying guide, found a few more viable alternatives. Sadly, the prices are at least double in Europe but still a few of them fit into the range:
1. JVC HA-S400
2. Philips SHL5605BL/10 CitiScape Downtown
3. Koss PRODJ 100 

The Philips and JVC are classified as "Bass heavy", and the Koss aparently needs an amplification. Any thoughts on any of these?

Otherwise, the coice would come down to the Creative Aruviana Live or Sennheiser HD 429.

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 21
The Gemini HSR-1000 is also sold under the name Takstar Pro 80.
As your plugging these headphones into a receiver, the higher the impedance of the headphones, the better chance they will work well, plugged into that receiver.

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 21
  Thanx for the suggestions everyone.

I did come upon the Creative Aurvana Live while reading the reviews but I have omitted it for some reason - I will definitely reconsider.
The Gemini HSR-1000 is obviously in a different category - but the price in Europe is quite a bit higher - approx $120 on the German Amazon site. And the 60 Ohm impedance can be an issue, too.

Reading through the buying guide, found a few more viable alternatives. Sadly, the prices are at least double in Europe but still a few of them fit into the range:
1. JVC HA-S400
2. Philips SHL5605BL/10 CitiScape Downtown
3. Koss PRODJ 100 

The Philips and JVC are classified as "Bass heavy", and the Koss aparently needs an amplification. Any thoughts on any of these?

Otherwise, the coice would come down to the Creative Aruviana Live or Sennheiser HD 429.

Absent a great sale the CAL! is above your budget--at least in the USA.

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #10 of 21
Do you want isolation or not? I find that isolating headphones make my ears overheat rather rapidly. The better they isolate, the quicker my ears overheat. Headphones with velour earpads take longer to make my ears overheat, but also don't isolate as well. If you can, you should try out some headphones for comfort and fit. Not everyone is as sensitive to overheating ears as I am.

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #11 of 21
I don't think sound isolation would be the most important thing for me, I'm also concerned by the possibility of my ears overheating. I guess I'd go for on-ear rather than over-ear, if all the other parameters are the same or similar. Of course, the overall sound quality is the most important issue.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 21
Even on the ear isolating headphones can make your ears overheat though. An open on the ear headphone like the sennheiser PX100II won't make your ears overheat. 
i have the JVC HAS400, and while I like the sound, I haven't used it in a long time since it makes my ears hot.

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 21
There is a trade-off with around ear headphones getting heated with very long listening, on ear I can listen all day once modified but in general around ear will be a much better sound.

Koss Pro DJ is a favorite of mine, very strong vocals but uncomfortable with bigger than average ears, but you can get other earpads to make them comfy. I do think the CAL beats them by a slight margin creating a bigger more open sound but it has a more loose bass response. Can't really go wrong with either sound wise as long as you understand their weaknesses. 

I have the JVC S500 (can't go wrong with these if you want on-ear, s400 is supposed to be more balanced less bassy version) which I use most of the time because being on ear are more comfortable and very good sounding for an on ear, but CAL, Koss DJ100, Takstar/Gemini all have a bigger and more complete sound. I really wouldn't consider the HD429 because all they have going for them is design and comfort they don't have much oomph sound wise.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 21
http://www.sonicunity.com/blogs/news-1/36252545-the-encore-rockmaster-headphone-coming-soon
Not released yet, but I have an early production pair and these things are stupid good for the crowdfunding price of $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back