Headphones under $40?
Dec 27, 2011 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

joeylw

Head-Fier
In the last month I have bought a pair of Beats Solo HDs for my brother (yeah I know, but to be honest he wanted them more sowoff than sound quality) for Christmas, received a Bose IE2 as a Christmas gift, bought myself a pair of Audio Technica M50s, and helped someone choose to buy a Creative Aurvana Live!, so I have now become the "Help me pick some headphones out" for people around me.

Someone wants a pair of over or on the ear headphones and their budget is under $40. It is a weird budget and he won't go any higher. He is mostly into mainstream music like hip-hop and pop.  I figured I would give it a shot since this forum seems to have such a range of experts. After looking at the topic ranking a bunch of portables, and several other posts about low-end headphones I have a list (in no particular order). Please help me choose him something, or make a suggestion under $40.

JVC HAS700
MEElectronics HT-21
Sennheiser HD 202 II
Denon AH-P372K
Panasonic RP-HTX7
Sony MDR-XB300

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 22
If it doesn't have to be portable, I'd say the Superlux HD681. I've seen nothing that can beat that thing in the under $50 bracket.
For some other cheap options, there is always the Monoprice MHP-839 (they go by Monoprice Premium Hi-Fi DJ Headphones or something crazy like that on their website) which is $21 and is also a beast for its price bracket. I'd suggest it over the Sennheiser HD202 II every time. 

I'm sure there are other really good options, but those were just off the top of my head. 
Quote:
In the last month I have bought a pair of Beats Solo HDs for my brother (yeah I know, but to be honest he wanted them more sowoff than sound quality) for Christmas, received a Bose IE2 as a Christmas gift, bought myself a pair of Audio Technica M50s, and helped someone choose to buy a Creative Aurvana Live!, so I have now become the "Help me pick some headphones out" for people around me.

Someone wants a pair of over or on the ear headphones and their budget is under $40. It is a weird budget and he won't go any higher. He is mostly into mainstream music like hip-hop and pop.  I figured I would give it a shot since this forum seems to have such a range of experts. After looking at the topic ranking a bunch of portables, and several other posts about low-end headphones I have a list (in no particular order). Please help me choose him something, or make a suggestion under $40.

JVC HAS700
MEElectronics HT-21
Sennheiser HD 202 II
Denon AH-P372K
Panasonic RP-HTX7
Sony MDR-XB300

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 22
I still have the RP-HTX7 and its a good headphone if not better. ljokerl made a review on these you can check it out on his 95 headphones reviewed post. Also you can do mods with it. 

A plus if you like others to call you a jet fighter pilot.
smile.gif

We always have the HT-21 out of stock here so I did not try that one.

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 22
Awesome! Thanks for the quick responses. I will look up the Superlux and the Monoprice headphones. I have seen some stuff on the Monoprice already, and they seem cool.

To answer the question, no they don't have to be portable.

*EDIT* 
The Monoprice are sold out....bummer. But the Superlux are available on Amazon under $40. Those look pretty good. Any other thoughts?

Dec 27, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
Any of the superlux headphones will be your best choice.

It looks like I might be ordering him the Superlux tomorrow. I really wish he would just put $20 more in so I could order a CAL! for him. But at least there are some choices at $40.

Keep the info coming, and thanks so much!

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #12 of 22
I would still try to convince him to get a CAL!   $60 is not a lot in the headphone world - so being adamant about spending only $40 seems silly.  People report the CALs being on-par with the M50s and other >$100 phones.

If not that then probably a superlux (Samson SR850?).  Or one of the Koss on-ears (portapro, KSC75)

I would be wary of the RP-HTX7, I've heard its very muddy.

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #13 of 22
The HTX7.... only for people that enjoy mud with terrible, terrible and artificial mids, and boomy as all hell bass.

I quite enjoyed the JVC HAS700 when I had them, and I absolutely loved the CAL which is worth the $60 and then some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back