Headphones under $300? (Looking at the Sony MDR-1R)
Jun 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Future

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones and decided to register here to get some advice. My budget is $300, but would be more comfortable spending something closer to $150-200. However, I've fallen in love with the Sony MDR-1R 's after reading some reviews and listening to them at the store. I've been searching the internet for other pairs in this price range but none have been able to fascinate me like the MDR-1R 's.

I'm looking for comfort, portability, and music quality - most of the cups I've looked at are either too bulky, too uncomfortable, or too expensive. Sound quality is important to me but as long as the music sounds good, I'm not too too interested in technical specifics. To me, the MDR-1R 's seem to combine the perfect balance of audio quality and comfort/portability so I can take them out into the street, but are there any red flags/other recommendations anyone has? 

Specifically, I wear glasses so some of the pairs I've had previously got very uncomfortable fast as they pressed to hard against my head/glasses. I'm not looking to wear them all day but will they be comfortable to wear with glasses for a few hours atleast? I want to make sure that $300 is well spent

I should point out I'm looking for a versatile set but the main genres I listen to are electronic and rock.

Thanks.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 4
How about the HD598's? When  I bought mine for 250, they were still worth it. I think you can find them for around 199 if you look. The only warning I would have for you about them is that they are definitely a gateway drug to HD800's or Audeze's. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 4
Welcome! Sorry about your wallet.

So you're looking for an efficient, closed-back, portable can that's comfortable and can a range of music. Yeah, that's what the Sony MDR-1R excels at and is definitely what I'd recommend. For comparison, you should also check out some other competing products that are also great with those functions listed. Check out the Logitech UE 6000, V-MODA Crossfade M-80 and M-100, and Sennheiser Momentum (which is slightly out of your budget, but worth a look).

I went on this search earlier this year and found some of these cans to do some things better than the MDR-1R, but as an overall package, nothing came close to it, in my honest opinion.

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 4
I agree with your decision. The Sony MDR-1R is a very well balanced headphone, it's best to check them out. But since your wearing glasses, be sure to test it out extensively, just to be sure... If your willing to increase your budget up to $400, you can buy the momentums, which are possibly the great combination of style, sound quality, and durability in one headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back